PDA

View Full Version : Leonids, which is the best direction to look

Glutomoto
2001-Nov-14, 10:41 AM
Is it better to view the metor shower by looking into the radiant, looking away from the radiant, or perhaps just look at the darkest part of the sky ???

http://www.corvus.com/animatedscopegif.gif

NottyImp
2001-Nov-14, 10:52 AM
I think the usual advice is to look slightly away from the radiant, rather than directly at it (I can't remember the exact number of degrees, however). Meteors that originate closer to the radiant, owing to line-of-site effects, presumably have much shorter trails, and are harder to spot.

NottyImp
2001-Nov-14, 11:00 AM
Just found this link:

http://web.infoave.net/~meteorobs/guidechap2.html

It says observe about 20-40 degrees away from the radiant, and has a lot more useful info.

GrapesOfWrath
2001-Nov-14, 11:46 AM
"Whatever you do, don't look down" -- Sir Edmund Hillary

ToSeek
2001-Nov-14, 01:51 PM
Leonids, which is the best direction to look?

Up.

Glutomoto
2001-Nov-15, 05:18 AM
look up
don't look down
and
look sideways

got it,
thanks N.Imp, G.O.Wrath & T.Seek. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

ToSeek
2001-Nov-15, 01:29 PM
Seriously, the one frustration I have with watching meteor showers is that almost all of the meteor streaks occur in my peripheral vision, so I turn just in time for it to have vanished and wonder if I really saw anything.

GrapesOfWrath
2001-Nov-15, 02:05 PM
ToSeek

Check out The Night of Raining Fire (http://www.skypub.com/sights/meteors/leonids/leonids_1833.html). That would fix your problem, right?

Hat Monster
2001-Nov-15, 07:21 PM
They can appear anywhere in the sky.
You get the best view of the entire sky by observing the zenith.
Look up.

RMallon
2001-Nov-15, 09:45 PM
Any eyewitness reports from anyone? How's the count?
Wouldn't you know it, here in Austin, Texas we've been socked with several dy/nights of cloudy weather.
Dang it!

Kaptain K
2001-Nov-15, 10:00 PM
Yeah, and we can only hope it clears before Sunday morning. I get off work at about the time of the peak and am praying for clear skies.

Chip
2001-Nov-15, 10:11 PM
Just in case it is overcast where you are on the 17th/18th, the BA has this page hidden down in the basement of his website. Go here to "see" the Leonids live on the internet.

http://www.badastronomy.com/bitesize/leonids.html#liveleonids

But the question is, are the links on that three year old page still in operation? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

In my area on the planet (Northern California) the forecast is "partly cloudy" so I'll be outside trying to glimpse a few streeks between the clouds! Happy meteor spotting to all! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

Donnie B.
2001-Nov-15, 11:20 PM
Good news here, Saturday night/Sunday morning are expected to be clear. I'm gonna build a little nest up on the roof...

RMallon
2001-Nov-15, 11:27 PM
How 'bout those inclined to rise to the occasion, with open shutter camera and tripod, to post a few pics when you can. I'd would, but for the cloud thingy going on here.
Will no doubt get hammered with rain Friday thru Saturday. I'll be scout camping out at Lake Georgetown, which would be perfect for hopeful clear viewing.

-Randyhttp://www.jump.net/~rmal/asteroi3.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RMallon on 2001-11-15 18:35 ]</font>

Lisa
2001-Nov-16, 04:01 AM
Supposed to be partly cloudy here, so I'll probably head out about midnight. Sunday its supposed to rain/snow. Welcome to South Dakota.
I hope Saturday stays clear. I've been waiting for this all year. My viewing site will be from my hot tub, its supposed to be a little chilly.
Lisa

Glutomoto
2001-Nov-16, 06:16 AM
The group agrees, to get the best view, Look Up.

good luck and clear skies to all.
http://www.telescope.org/gfy/anicomg.gif

ToSeek
2001-Nov-16, 02:43 PM
On 2001-11-15 09:05, GrapesOfWrath wrote:
ToSeek

Check out The Night of Raining Fire (http://www.skypub.com/sights/meteors/leonids/leonids_1833.html). That would fix your problem, right?

Yes, I'm hoping that for this weekend looking in the right place won't be too much of a problem.

Actually, most of the advice I've run into says to look toward the east.

The Bad Astronomer
2001-Nov-16, 04:00 PM
On 2001-11-16 09:43, ToSeek wrote:

I suggest lying on your back and looking straight up. The meteors appear to be coming from the direction of Leo, but that doesn't mean they start there.

Your best bet is to get a reclining chair or chaise lounge and look straight up, trying to see as much of the sky as you can. I tend to face south a bit more, but really just try to get as much sky as you can in your field of view.

Chip
2001-Nov-16, 06:21 PM
On 2001-11-16 11:00, The Bad Astronomer wrote:

On 2001-11-16 09:43, ToSeek wrote:

I suggest lying on your back and looking straight up. The meteors appear to be coming from the direction of Leo, but that doesn't mean they start there.

Your best bet is to get a reclining chair or chaise lounge and look straight up, trying to see as much of the sky as you can. I tend to face south a bit more, but really just try to get as much sky as you can in your field of view.

Thanks for the advice! My optical "equipment" for meteor spoting tends to be just my eyes and glasses. (Maybe binoculars if there's a rare big fireball.) Some folks want to cart out telescopes, which I suppose is OK for viewing objects in addition to viewing Leonids with the naked eyes.

In case it's overcast (hope not /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif), or for those who are living under the clouds Sunday morning, are the links on this page still good?
http://www.badastronomy.com/bitesize/leonids.html#liveleonids

/phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif Chip

RMallon
2001-Nov-18, 12:40 PM
The Leonids, the morning after....

Well, I stuck my head out the door at 4:30am this morning to witness a dark sky full of clouds (the weatherforcasters didn't miss THIS forecast).
Even had my old Canon on a tripod by the front door.
Wondering how the event was; was it dazzling or another hyped-up dud?

Donnie B.
2001-Nov-18, 01:21 PM
On 2001-11-18 07:40, RMallon wrote:

Wondering how the event was; was it dazzling or another hyped-up dud?

Check the new thread for numerous reports from BABB denizens.

RMallon
2001-Nov-18, 03:32 PM
Yepper, just noticed the new topic. Guess I was still asleep when I posted the above inquiry! x^)

BADad
2001-Nov-18, 03:42 PM
The night in Sarasota (FL) was perfectly clear and dark. We went out slightly past 4 am Sunday morning and there were plenty of "hits". We didn't count, but there were at least a dozen in the ten to fifteen minutes we watched. Several were REALLY bright and large. Most went right through Orion, east to west. We did see one closer to the eastern horizon that was west to east. We didn't stay out long because the temperature was hovering around the low 50s (that's cold in the Suncoast of southwest Florida)! Hope you mostly had pleasant viewing.

jkmccrann
2005-Nov-01, 05:39 PM
This is interesting!

The Leonids must be coming around soon again, is there any expectation that there'll be much of a show this year? Or is the clock ticking on 2032/33 at the moment?

Thanks! :);):)

hhEb09'1
2005-Nov-01, 05:55 PM
The Leonids must be coming around soon again, is there any expectation that there'll be much of a show this year? Or is the clock ticking on 2032/33 at the moment?IIRC, I think that even 2032/3 are not expected to be much of a show. Nor the next one. I've been wrong before though.

Kaptain K
2005-Nov-02, 04:06 PM
IIRC, I think that even 2032/3 are not expected to be much of a show. Nor the next one. I've been wrong before though.
Agreed! The age of "Leonid storms" appears to be over. Best estimates currently have orbital precession carrying us out of the main Leonid stream by 2033. The Leonids will continue as an annual meteor shower, but it will be "average" at best.

Jim Colyer
2005-Nov-02, 06:21 PM
I have never had any luck with the Leonids although I know some people have.

Astronomy http://jimcolyer.com/papers/entry?id=2

mickal555
2005-Nov-06, 06:02 AM
damn....

I was looking forward to the next storm...

rah301
2007-Nov-19, 06:08 AM
The night in Sarasota (FL) was perfectly clear and dark. We went out slightly past 4 am Sunday morning and there were plenty of "hits". We didn't count, but there were at least a dozen in the ten to fifteen minutes we watched. Several were REALLY bright and large. Most went right through Orion, east to west. We did see one closer to the eastern horizon that was west to east. We didn't stay out long because the temperature was hovering around the low 50s (that's cold in the Suncoast of southwest Florida)! Hope you mostly had pleasant viewing.

Venice, Fl. Just South of Sarasota. Watching NNE, Saw 7 (really) + 4 (peripheral, perhaps?) midnight - 2:30 AM before the cloud bank came in. Came Back at 4 AM to Total Clouds. Several years ago, counted 100 + with 8 yr. old daughter, (now 13). This is one of my favorite annual things! Florida "Bundle up" weather (Brrr). Good Cigar, Beer in the dark, looking up!
Rah!