PDA

View Full Version : I Don't Want PTT.

Richard of Chelmsford
2005-Feb-07, 09:37 AM
My old Nokia brick phone fell apart, so I took myself off to the phone shop to replace it.

I said to the salesgirl.."I don't want a camera phone" ..she said "They're all camera phones."

So I've got a new camera phone which my son has filled up with snaps of all sorts.

But I was watching the telly the other night, and they said that we in Britain like texting, but you in the States like PTT..Push To Talk. It was accompanied by a film of people in a restaurant, including rather horsey looking woman yacking into their phones like deranged parrots pecking at their seed trays, and looking totally gormless.

(Although, no doubt Yanks would think Brits look gormless walking along the street tap-tapping their texts into their phones) 8-[

But I have a particular use for my texts and when we get PTT next year I don't expect to use it. I'm in my 50s (but still handsome :D ) but I mix a lot with young women in their 20s and 30s.

Simply because I have a young son (9) whom I look after so I see all the mums at school, and I have to contact these mums to arrange for my son to see his pals and to answer party invites and so on.

But for obvious reasons I can't really be very close friends with them..I've never had any trouble, but that may be because I've always stayed rather aloof. So phoning them has to be handled with some care.. one or two of them have jealous husbands and boyfriends and for my son's sake as much as anything I'd sooner just keep my distance.

So all my contacts are invariably by text message. It's worked for 9 years and I'm content with it.

I can't see PTT working in this context. [-X

PMT more like.

(Though I could imagine a Blackberry might be useful.) :)

Wally
2005-Feb-07, 03:15 PM
PTT works great if there's a select core of people you contact on a regular basis. As it stands, your group of young, hot mommas would fit in nicely. I don't see this as causing any jealously on the part of their sig. others, as long as they're discreet with how they label your entry in their phones.

"bobby's dad" <---- good

"bobby's hot papa" <---- not so good

farmerjumperdon
2005-Feb-07, 08:02 PM
I have the same issue with way more stuff than I need. Both my telephone and camera have got so many bells and whistles it's absolutely ridiculous. l would not care except all that stuff has to make the machine way more fragile than if it did not have it. So to protect myself, I had to buy the extended warranty on my camera, cuz you know very well the darn thing is gonna lock up, freak out, or simply not work; and there will be no hope of my getting it working again on my own.

iFire
2005-Feb-07, 08:11 PM
I don't see a point for the PTT feature becuase it is like a walkie-talkie and yet it costs minutes. I would just as soon call someone and talk to them rather than having to push a button to talk to them. I would also text more, but I had to pay my parents 10 bucks for text messages :oops:.

sts60
2005-Feb-07, 09:00 PM
Public safety types like them (Nextels in particular, though I suppose there are others). They're used to talking on radios where you have to wait for the "talk" chirp, and the minutes are either free (on many plans) or much cheaper than regular "full-duplex" phone minutes.

Doodler
2005-Feb-07, 09:37 PM
PTT was garbage on the first few generations of Nextels. I also am the rather annoyed owner of a new camera phone. There were only three options available from Verizon. A phone with a camera, a phone with downloadable video games, and a phone with some sort of sports ticker.

Stupid crap, gimme 12 keys and a dialtone.

As for texting. If you have 20 minutes to carpally tunnel your thumb to type a text, you have 2 minutes to dial ten digits and actually talk to me.

pghnative
2005-Feb-07, 09:38 PM
By the way, can someone translate what it means to be "gormless"?

frogesque
2005-Feb-07, 09:54 PM
By the way, can someone translate what it means to be "gormless"?

Without, or lacking in, gorm 8)

Edit: My real dictionary (with pages) Concise English Dictionary, New Orchard Editions, fourth edition: twelth impression 1990. ISBN 185079-153-8 gives the following:

gaumless, gormless [O.N. gaumer care, attention] a. Witless, clumsy, stupid.

frogesque
2005-Feb-07, 10:14 PM
My old Motorola C520 was dying on me but it's a nice chunky brick that I can make and recieve calls and do some text at a push which is all I need so I've just ordered a new battery for about 1/8th the cost of a new phone.

I can also use my size 9 podgy fingers to actually hit the buttons with some reliability because I can actually see them without the use of a microscope. It also out performs other mobiles for reception in weak signal areas.

sarongsong
2005-Feb-07, 10:21 PM
I don't see a point for the PTT feature...
I worked for a small company that was just getting started by its two partners, who were quite often on different errands, yet needed to consult each other constantly. PTT was invaluable in their eventual success.

Kristophe
2005-Feb-07, 11:39 PM
Since I'm not willing to pay for data transfer over my wireless, I have no need for a camera phone. I'd rather have a camera for taking pictures, anyway.

2005-Feb-07, 11:51 PM
Then too, the fact that the camera quality of most phones is pretty much crap doesn't help to add to the alure. I mean, if you could get a 3-4 megapixel camera phone, well, then we might be talking. But thus far, the best I've heard of is a one megapixel phone over in japan and VGA (640x480, approx .3 megapixel) is the best I've seen here in the States.

Richard of Chelmsford
2005-Feb-08, 10:05 AM
PTT works great if there's a select core of people you contact on a regular basis. As it stands, your group of young, hot mommas would fit in nicely. I don't see this as causing any jealously on the part of their sig. others, as long as they're discreet with how they label your entry in their phones.

"bobby's dad" <---- good

"bobby's hot papa" <---- not so good

Hope none of the Mums at my school surf this site..I expect they don't, but you'll all see when you get your kids to school, (if you haven't already) there aint any hot mommas at school.

All you see is..

fat bottoms,

crumpled jeans,

straggly hair

and pasty faces with no make-up on.

Next time you look at your own hot momma remember that a lot of her allure came out of a bottle or a squeezy tube! :lol:

Richard of Chelmsford
2005-Feb-08, 10:09 AM
I have the same issue with way more stuff than I need. Both my telephone and camera have got so many bells and whistles it's absolutely ridiculous. l would not care except all that stuff has to make the machine way more fragile than if it did not have it. So to protect myself, I had to buy the extended warranty on my camera, cuz you know very well the darn thing is gonna lock up, freak out, or simply not work; and there will be no hope of my getting it working again on my own.

Farmerjumperjohn, that is one of the best observations I have ever seen on any site.

I heartilly agree. All our modern gadgets do far too much.

I've got two computers, one a Dell desktop, and the other a Hewlitt Packard handheld and in the years I've had them I'm sure I've only used about 10% of their capacity. And as you say, they are so prone to crashes, glitches and other goolies.

I think this gadgetry should be more taylor made to the end user and more options should be available.

Good point, keep em rolling.

Wally
2005-Feb-08, 01:31 PM
I don't see a point for the PTT feature becuase it is like a walkie-talkie and yet it costs minutes. I would just as soon call someone and talk to them rather than having to push a button to talk to them. I would also text more, but I had to pay my parents 10 bucks for text messages :oops:.

Most of the PTT's out there are limitless minutes. They do not count against the minutes/month of whatever plan you might have with the provider.

That said, for longer conversations, I agree an actual phone call is better. However, for quick exchanges, the PTT feature is great! All my friends have Nextel due to their line of work. I bought one just because they all had one. We use the PTT feature almost exclusively to communicate. Quick & easy. . .

JimTKirk
2005-Feb-08, 01:44 PM
To me, PTT is a bad idea. Usually, you end up barely hearing one side of a normal cell phone conversation. With PTT, you end up hearing both and normally it's stuff that nobody wants to hear (or needs to hear) to begin with. What's worse around here is that everyone with PTT has it turned up loud! :evil: It's bad enough breaking a conversation for a cell call, but even worse when they end up carying on a 5 -10 minute PTT call about stupid things. I never break a conversation for a cell call as I consider that rude. I think PTT breaks are even worse (maybe 10 fold). OK... I'll get off my soapbox now. :wink:

Wally
2005-Feb-08, 01:52 PM
I completely agree with you Jim. If I'm in a crowded place, I'll never use my PTT with the speaker turned on. I'll always turn it off and use it "like a phone" (which many people don't seem to realize you can do, apparently!!!! :roll: )

My phone also has a "push to message" button on the top. If I get a call while speaking with others, I'll just reach down and give it a quick push. The caller is immediately sent to my voice mail. Granted, you can't do that with the PTT feature, but if you have the phone on silent mode, then you can choose to ignore their hail.

JimTKirk
2005-Feb-08, 03:49 PM
At least you're kinder and gentler than most around here Wally. The worst I've seen was a guy at a party (New Years) that carried a 20 minute conversation with the phone on his belt! [-X Maybe the cell companies need to give some courtesy lessons with the phones... OK, I'll get back off the ol' soapbox. :D

farmerjumperdon
2005-Feb-08, 08:53 PM
Glad to hear I'm not the only one who feels that way Chelmsford (sp?). I actually work with quite a bit of technology on the job, and that could be why I hate unneccesary clutter away from the job.

The last time I bought a computer from Dell (won't do that again - but that is another story), I tried very hard to not get all the garbage on it. No way, no how. I was forced to accept it with a whole pile of stuff that I can't even remove without risk of wrecking things.

Oh well. I suppose if they had to one-off the things they'd be a whole lot more expensive. But why can't they do it like cars - if you're willing to wait you can get the exact option mix you want.

Richard of Chelmsford
2005-Feb-08, 09:57 PM
Glad to hear I'm not the only one who feels that way Chelmsford (sp?). I actually work with quite a bit of technology on the job, and that could be why I hate unneccesary clutter away from the job.

The last time I bought a computer from Dell (won't do that again - but that is another story), I tried very hard to not get all the garbage on it. No way, no how. I was forced to accept it with a whole pile of stuff that I can't even remove without risk of wrecking things.

Oh well. I suppose if they had to one-off the things they'd be a whole lot more expensive. But why can't they do it like cars - if you're willing to wait you can get the exact option mix you want.

Yes, that's the right spelling of Chelmsford.

You may not have heard of it but to put it on the map it is the place where Marconi lived and radio was invented. Just half a mile from our house is the Marconi Tower, a big early broadcasting tower..thouigh i don't know if it's still used. Plus Marconi Electronics.

Just on the subject of gadgetry, I've got a rather basic Philips video recorder. I put it on tonight to record something, but then changed my mind, but could I stop the 'timer record' thing flashing on the screen?? There is no 'clear' button on the thing..no way back if you make a mistake or change your mind, as with a lot of older (10 years ago) gadgetry.

electromagneticpulse
2005-Feb-09, 01:07 AM
My old Nokia brick phone fell apart, so I took myself off to the phone shop to replace it.

I remember my old 3210, it took 3 years of dropping out of my pocket and then the battery broke :(

I now have a Sony Ericsson T630 with a camera, 3 different resolutions, 4 different imaging styles and a long exposure. It has about 5 megs of storage can play polyphonic ringtones etc etc etc. The only thing i like about my phone is i have mini golf game on it.

Oh and within 3 months it broke from "water damage" which was a big load and they tried to refuse a replacement. 4 months later i got one and the person who ran the shop went into therapy. It cost me (who has no job) £130 so he diserved it... i know, i know i'm evil :roll:

I know i wont be using PTT, i hate talking on the phone. A text message is impersonal true but i'm normally busy in the apropriate times to make phone calls. So mine have to be between 7am-9am and 8pm-10pm. But a text i can send when ever i want, it's also not getting invading someones privacy or like today if i called my friend it would have been in a funeral. Luckily i knew that so i waited to call her.

I dont use pictures, wont use PTT and when video phones are the only ones i can buy, i wont have a phone [-(

frogesque
2005-Feb-09, 01:20 AM
electromagneticpulse wrote:

I remember my old 3210, it took 3 years of dropping out of my pocket and then the battery broke

e-bay (http://search.ebay.co.uk/3210-battery_W0QQfltZ9) Watch out for postage costs - a lot are sent from Hong Kong and the rates are exorbitant.

It's also possible to get unlocked basic phones at knock down prices but again caveat emptor!

electromagneticpulse
2005-Feb-09, 10:34 AM
electromagneticpulse wrote:

I remember my old 3210, it took 3 years of dropping out of my pocket and then the battery broke

e-bay (http://search.ebay.co.uk/3210-battery_W0QQfltZ9) Watch out for postage costs - a lot are sent from Hong Kong and the rates are exorbitant.

It's also possible to get unlocked basic phones at knock down prices but again caveat emptor!

Well i got my 3210 for £19.99 and when i tried to find a replacement battery it was between £40 for a used one and £60 for a new one. So i just decided to get a new one and hoped it would last for a couple of years... turned out to be months :roll:

They don't make them like they used to :D

Richard of Chelmsford
2005-Feb-09, 10:39 AM
They don't make anything like they used to, which is intensely annoying.

electromagneticpulse
2005-Feb-09, 10:53 AM
They don't make anything like they used to, which is intensely annoying.

You can say that again.

I'm a grumpy old man because of technology, bet my parent's didn't expect i'd reach old age before them 8)

frogesque
2005-Feb-09, 11:36 AM
electromagnecticpulse

When I enquired about a battery for my old Motorola C520 first I got a blank stare from the assistant then the shop manager said it would be more than a new phone, then goes he into sales pitch mode. I tracked down a new battery (50% extra capacity on the original fitted) for £6.09 including postage. I just checked for a new Nokia 3210 battery and the going rate is £4.95 'buy it now', post free.

Think someone was telling you porkies!

Captain Kidd
2005-Feb-09, 12:08 PM
Like others, I don't see the need (except for businesses maybe) for PTT and I definately don't see the need for me to hear both sides of the conversation and the chrip can travel far, far further than the actual voices.

Our first phone finally started dying on us. Half the time you'd hit send, it'd start connecting and then drop out. Fortunately it never did in the middle of any calls.

So we went to a Verizon store where they joked that they might want it for a cell phone museum (it was only 2-1/2 years old!) I got to hunting for a replacement. They had numerous phones, nearly all of which were camera phones or PTT. I didn't want a camera phone for two reasons. One is we own a $1,000 digital camera (now pushing $2k after lens, memory cards, etc.) so why do I want a 1 megapixel trash camera? (Yeah, yeah, I don't always carry my Rebel on me but half the time I leave my phone at home too. #-o ) The other reason is my job waffles on allowing camera phones on site due to security concerns. So even if I do remember to bring it, there's a chance it'll have to stay in the car anyways if it has a camera.

Luckily the sales rep I had wasn't some gabby teen who wouldn't understand but an older chap who had no problem helping me chase down a [nearly] bare-bones model.

It's odd, with any other technology I'm trying to find the latest and greatest to buy. But when it comes to cell phones, give me the simplest you have.

Richard of Chelmsford
2005-Feb-09, 01:43 PM
(Yeah, yeah, I don't always carry my Rebel on me but half the time I leave my phone at home too. #-o )

I always take my phone out but only because my car, a Ford Mondeo, is getting old, like my last phone was.

If it dies on me I'll need the phone to call for help.

God! Bring some new things into my life!! :roll: :roll:

Metricyard
2005-Feb-09, 02:03 PM
I'll never understand why you just can't get a simple phone without all the bells and whistles. Just give me a plain, functional phone.

No, give me a plain, functional large phone. I hate talking into those matchbook size phones. It feels like you're talking into the air.

The problem, as I see it, is electronics have become so cheap to mass produce, the phone companies have to sell services to survive. They don't want you to just talk. They want to collect fees from all the bells and whistles.

Wally
2005-Feb-09, 03:11 PM
No, give me a plain, functional large phone. I hate talking into those matchbook size phones. It feels like you're talking into the air.

=D>

Reminds of a scene in the movie Zoolander (an older Ben Stiller comedy). Ben's character gets a call on his cell, reaches down and pulls out a phone about the size of your thumbnail, carefully unfolds it and proceeds to talk. Pretty funny at the time!

Now, it's becoming almost too lifelike to be funny anymore!

electromagneticpulse
2005-Feb-09, 06:47 PM
electromagnecticpulse

When I enquired about a battery for my old Motorola C520 first I got a blank stare from the assistant then the shop manager said it would be more than a new phone, then goes he into sales pitch mode. I tracked down a new battery (50% extra capacity on the original fitted) for £6.09 including postage. I just checked for a new Nokia 3210 battery and the going rate is £4.95 'buy it now', post free.

Think someone was telling you porkies!

Damn, thats the last time i go into shops for anything to do with a phone around here :evil:

But then all shops around here are awful, it took one of my friends 6 months to get her engagement ring replaced because they had sent the wrong one, which conviniently cost £500-£750 less. You get used to this sort of thing :roll:

zebo-the-fat
2005-Feb-10, 12:00 AM
it broke from "water damage"

It seems to be the normal thing (at least in the UK) for a phone returned as "faulty" to be described as "water damaged" - even if it hasn't been within 5 miles of water. You can't prove it isn't and they can say "it's your fault, the guarantee is void" :evil:

electromagneticpulse
2005-Feb-10, 10:44 PM
it broke from "water damage"

It seems to be the normal thing (at least in the UK) for a phone returned as "faulty" to be described as "water damaged" - even if it hasn't been within 5 miles of water. You can't prove it isn't and they can say "it's your fault, the guarantee is void" :evil:

Thatís what they tried with me. I never knew my pocket was classed as water and when it got damaged it was the middle of summer and it hadn't rained in 2 weeks.

The guy got what was coming to him though, it's a small victory just hopefully someone will get a big one against the telecom companies that apparently are ripping people off.