PDA

View Full Version : New Particle at the LHC = New Physics?

philippeb8
2016-May-08, 08:08 PM
They are about to reveal a new particle at the LHC which doesn't fit the standard model:
https://aeon.co/opinions/physics-is-on-the-verge-of-an-earth-shattering-discovery

Does that mean that they will be forced to study new theories?

2016-May-08, 08:22 PM
Already long ago, and recently, discussed: http://cosmoquest.org/forum/showthread.php?160260-750-GeV-at-Large-Hadron-Collider

And your and the article's conclusions are premature.

Early bird sometimes don't get any breakfast.

philippeb8
2016-May-08, 08:29 PM
Already long ago, and recently, discussed: http://cosmoquest.org/forum/showthread.php?160260-750-GeV-at-Large-Hadron-Collider

And your and the article's conclusions are premature.

Early bird sometimes don't get any breakfast.

Ok perhaps premature but not impossible. I read here that perhaps the new particle is the graviton:
http://cosmoquest.org/forum/showthread.php?161131-Is-A-New-Particle-About-To-Be-Announced&p=2353150#post2353150

Thanks...!

2016-May-08, 08:48 PM
So your reason for using the superassertive wording "They are about to reveal a new particle at the LHC [...]" is to convey to your fellow participants that it's possible?

That's bold.

Even the opinion-piece you cited wisely hedges:

Even if the current excess proves to be just a statistical fluctuation, the LHC will keep pushing into uncharted territories [...]

Look before you leap.

philippeb8
2016-May-08, 08:56 PM
So your reason for using the superassertive wording "They are about to reveal a new particle at the LHC [...]" is to convey to your fellow participants that it's possible?

That's bold.

Even the opinion-piece you cited wisely hedges:

Look before you leap.

I can't argue in the Q&A section but all I wanted to know is if they'll be forced to put their cards on the table.

2016-May-08, 09:19 PM
Your meaning eludes me. Do you really mean that if it's not a statistical ghost, and it is something new and unexpected, that somehow physicists will be forced to learn something new? Like the physicists you know resist going where actual confirmed experimental data takes them? Like they are not into science in order to learn new things? They've spent their whole lives learning new things!

Incredible.

philippeb8
2016-May-08, 09:30 PM
Your meaning eludes me. Do you really mean that if it's not a statistical ghost, and it is something new and unexpected, that somehow physicists will be forced to learn something new? Like the physicists you know resist going where actual confirmed experimental data takes them? Like they are not into science in order to learn new things? They've spent their whole lives learning new things!

Incredible.

Let's face it: there is intimidation against new physics and perhaps this will flip over.

2016-May-08, 10:39 PM
New physics -- when it is demonstrated, when it is repeatable, when it is studiable -- is warmly embraced.

So, let's not face what is not actually there.

Any more questions?

About face.

philippeb8
2016-May-08, 10:47 PM
New physics -- when it is demonstrated, when it is repeatable, when it is studiable -- is warmly embraced.

So, let's not face what is not actually there.

Any more questions?

About face.

Then there needs to be a website to submit new theories and I can't find any. NASA NSPIRES's website won't work as you need to be affiliated or work for them (which is selective).

I can't stretch this thread too much but that's all I have to say.

Thanks again.

Swift
2016-May-08, 11:01 PM
I can't stretch this thread too much but that's all I have to say.
No you can't. In fact, this whole thread is an inappropriate use of Q&A.

This section of the forum is for astronomy and space exploration questions with straightforward, generally accepted answers.

To put it another way, the goal of this section of the forum is to provide a reliable source of information about astronomy and space exploration, a sort of member-controlled Frequently Asked Questions section, so that people looking for such answers can find them quickly and easily.

I'm getting tired of reminding well-established members of this.

This thread is closed.