PDA

View Full Version : good: Sci-Fi channel? This is a first!!!

g99
2002-Jul-03, 05:41 PM
here is the text about a new show called "Scare tactics" on the Sci-Fi channel":
From: http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/art-main.html?2002-07/02/10.00.sfc

"The SCI FI Channel said that it has ordered 13 episodes of Scare Tactics, a hidden-camera reality series that will mine people's fears of UFOs, ghosts and other phenomena for laughs. The series is slated for the first quarter of 2003.

Shannen Doherty (Charmed ) will host the show, in which friends and relatives will set up their loved ones in elaborate pranks that range from a mock alien encounter to babysitting in a haunted house. Scott Hallock and Kevin Healey (Spy TV) created the series, which will be produced by Hallock Healey Entertainment."

Finally someone is making a show making fun of a show like "sightings" and those tabloid newspapers. YAY!!!!!!!

beskeptical
2002-Jul-12, 11:37 AM
Don't get your hopes up for anything good. I'm sure they'll hunt for the stupidest people to play the tricks on. I will be shocked if the show actually contains satire about sightings type shows.

There was another stupid show on (can't remember the station) called 'The World's Scariest Places' or something like that. The people that were brought into these places were absurd. They screamed at everything, they ran out, etc. I just doubt a show titled 'Scare Tactics' will be different.

Face it, TV is dumbed down to the lowest common denominator. One comedian described it well by asking, "just who is the target market here anyway?" Boggles the mind, doesn't it?

David Hall
2002-Jul-12, 12:51 PM
I absolutely can't stand shows that try to "entertain" by deceiving people or making fun of their weaknesses. Most of these practical-joke type shows show a real sadistic bent. It's all about making someone suffer or look foolish for your enjoyment. Sometimes it's all done just to provoke a reaction for others to ridicule. I can't help but feel sorry for the poor sods who have to go through such ordeals. It's not laughing with someone, it's laughing at someone.

If it were me, and I discovered I was the butt of one of these jokes, I'd probably up and punch the offender right in the nose. I'm surprised so many people let these jerks get away with such stuff.

And if you think this is bad, you should watch some of the stuff that passes for humor here in Japan. Quite juvenile, usually low-brow, often very embarrassing for the victim, and sometimes even dangerous.

How about showing a little more respect for people?

Matherly
2002-Jul-12, 04:38 PM
"Its funny because it's not me"- Homer Simpson (watching a Defensive Driving video), The Simpsons

g99
2002-Jul-12, 05:04 PM
David, i totally agree with you. But it is still fun to watch them. I feel very sorry for them, but it is still entertaining. But i am just surprised that the Sci-Fi channel is making this show.

P.S. I am glad they funnally got rid of the psychic guy, John Edwrads. I feel really bad for the people he has conned into (probobly) giving up their money or beliefs. He is instilling in them false beliefs with VERY GENERAl generalizations. I watched the show once and i could not belive how general the statements were: "I see a person, Female, Old, she died in a hospital" Then someone stands up, "my Mother died in a hospital" And the croud goes "WOW!". That show makes me mad. At least they tell the poeple at the end that they are being mad efun of and decieved on thos shows like SPY TV on NBC here and Candid Camera, This they just keep on decieving them.

If you really want to see a great "Pychic defrauder" look up a good biography of Harry Houdini. Once his Mom died he spent many years of his life trying to contact her and along the way catching false psychics.

beskeptical
2002-Jul-13, 05:06 AM
On 2002-07-12 13:04, g99 wrote:
David, i totally agree with you. But it is still fun to watch them. I feel very sorry for them, but it is still entertaining. But i am just surprised that the Sci-Fi channel is making this show.

P.S. I am glad they funnally got rid of the psychic guy, John Edwrads. I feel really bad for the people he has conned into (probobly) giving up their money or beliefs.

You feel sorry for John Edwards audience but you're entertained by people you feel sorry for that are the butt of practical jokes?

Personally, I find the 'reality' shows waaay too stupid to watch. I wonder how close the show will be to your expectation of it.

From a medical point of view, J. Edwards actually provides some pretty good grief counseling for the people in his audience. He has a web site, tickets to the show are free but there is greater than a year wait.

He does charge a few hundred bucks for one of those private readings which certainly could take advantage of a desperate person. But 'counselors', psychologists, group therapists, and the like can charge an awful lot as well.

The science of psychiatry is pretty slim on the counseling side. There are really skilled counselors and really bad ones, it's not an easy task to teach someone how to be good at it. You don't have to believe in the afterlife to see that people want the messages they get, real or not.