PDA

View Full Version : Alien cookbook in "Weekly World News"

Pete Albrecht
2005-Feb-09, 03:40 AM
So there I was in the checkout lane, looking at pictures of raccoon-eyed starlets whom I'm proud to say I've never heard of, when this week's "Weekly World News" caught my eye.

It says they found an alien cookbook.

Stop me if you've heard this one.

In the story, it claims that an alien cookbook was recovered from a saucer that crashed in 1975, and guess what's on the menu.

This amazes me on several levels. First of all, I thought everybody knows that story. To the extent that it was parodied in the movie "Airplane!" where, for no apparent reason, a guy runs through the shot with a big tome under his arm shouting "It's a cookbook! It's a cookbook!"

Second of all, that they don't get their lying butts sued by the estate of Rod Serling for plagiarism.

http://members.cox.net/kaiotea/serveman.htm
"written by Rod Serling from a short story by Damon Knight, was first televised on March 2, 1962"

Hmmm... a little before 1975. But... but... that's proof of time travel then, isn't it?

Pete
(We aim to serve...)

beskeptical
2005-Feb-09, 07:26 AM
Considering what that paper contains I hardly think they care if a story is original.

Roving Philosopher
2005-Feb-09, 03:58 PM
It wasn't until the Simpsons Halloween episode that I'd heard of this story (and it was years before I saw the Twilight Zone episode). Of course, on the Simpsons, the book was "How to Cook for Forty Humans" (Darn that space dust! :lol: )

Maha Vailo
2005-Feb-09, 04:26 PM
Man, the Weekly Woo News must be getting desperate if they have to hork popular sci-fi short stories for article material. :x

- Maha "to serve man" Vailo

beskeptical
2005-Feb-09, 07:44 PM
Man, the Weekly Woo News must be getting desperate if they have to hork popular sci-fi short stories for article material. :x

- Maha "to serve man" VailoDesperate? Like they care? Look at their website. They don't even attempt to connect a story to a reality thread.

beskeptical
2005-Feb-09, 07:46 PM
It wasn't until the Simpsons Halloween episode that I'd heard of this story (and it was years before I saw the Twilight Zone episode). Of course, on the Simpsons, the book was "How to Cook for Forty Humans" (Darn that space dust! :lol: )Your youth is showing. :wink:

cid
2005-Feb-09, 07:52 PM
I prefer IndiaDaily anyway and pravda.ru of course. gloryful bringers of the supressed truth or something

Roving Philosopher
2005-Feb-09, 08:25 PM
It wasn't until the Simpsons Halloween episode that I'd heard of this story (and it was years before I saw the Twilight Zone episode). Of course, on the Simpsons, the book was "How to Cook for Forty Humans" (Darn that space dust! :lol: )Your youth is showing. :wink:How embarrassing! :oops: The doctor said that would clear up in a few days, just in time for my mid-life crisis! #-o

rleyland
2005-Feb-09, 08:46 PM
Second of all, that they don't get their lying butts sued by the estate of Rod Serling for plagiarism.

http://members.cox.net/kaiotea/serveman.htm
"written by Rod Serling from a short story by Damon Knight, was first televised on March 2, 1962"

Hmmm... a little before 1975. But... but... that's proof of time travel then, isn't it?

Pete
(We aim to serve...)

I thought the story was even older than that. Doesn't the same "joke" appear in one of the C.S.Lewis Narnia stories -- IIRC The Silver Chair --

"To Serve Man"

It been years (and years) since I read them.

cheers,
Robbo

Gillianren
2005-Feb-09, 10:08 PM
well, that was my first thought when I read that headline. and then I had to explain what I was giggling about to my boyfriend. sigh.

when I was in high school, the LA Times did an article about the WWN wherein they freely admitted to making things up. they don't expect anyone to take them seriously.

that being said, whenever they have a trivia column, they do tend to get things right, at least as far as I can tell.

beskeptical
2005-Feb-10, 08:00 AM
that being said, whenever they have a trivia column, they do tend to get things right, at least as far as I can tell.Ahem...and you read this paper how often? :P

Gillianren
2005-Feb-10, 11:23 PM
Ahem...and you read this paper how often? :P

when the cover story is funny enough that my easily-amused friend Brandon buys it. or my easily-amused band teacher, back in high school, who used to bring it in to show the orchestra (all three of us). or my easily-amused former roommate Karyn. but mostly, Brandon buys it, flips through it laughing, and shoves the trivia at me, demanding to know how accurate it is.

Donnie B.
2005-Feb-11, 01:58 AM
I thought the story was even older than that. Doesn't the same "joke" appear in one of the C.S.Lewis Narnia stories -- IIRC The Silver Chair --

"To Serve Man"

cheers,
Robbo
Yes, though not quite in the same form. In The Silver Chair, the children are invited to a city of giants, who they are told "would love to have them for the Autumn Feast". After they get there, they discover a cookbook and find an entry for "Man" -- they are to be the main course, rather than guests.

The book was published in 1953. However, I would guess that the idea goes back much farther, perhaps to Greek mythology.

Doe, John
2005-Feb-12, 03:00 AM

"To Serve Man"

cheers,
Robbo
Yes, though not quite in the same form. In The Silver Chair, the children are invited to a city of giants, who they are told "would love to have them for the Autumn Feast". After they get there, they discover a cookbook and find an entry for "Man" -- they are to be the main course, rather than guests.

The book was published in 1953. However, I would guess that the idea goes back much farther, perhaps to Greek mythology.

Ah yes, the entry immediately preceeding "Marshwiggle".