PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical silliness

nebularain
2005-Feb-09, 04:06 AM
Someone asked this question for fun, and I thought I'd ask it back here to see what kind of funny and serious responses I would get.

Hypothetical situation:

You are in a space suit, floating half way between Earth and Mars.

Which direction is up?

Which direction is north?

jami cat
2005-Feb-09, 04:49 AM
Depends upon where the court was set to convine and if I were guilty or not. I might find Up and North the other way fast. :-?

mickal555
2005-Feb-09, 07:00 AM
well to find north you usr a compass and up is above your head :P

Fram
2005-Feb-09, 09:06 AM
The only way is up! (ah, those eighties hits, they always come in handy ) 8)

Enzp
2005-Feb-09, 09:33 AM
Up north is the opposite of down south.

Up is over your head, and I think we arbitrarily assign north to the pole something rotates counterclockwise around. I think we named the magnet pole after the direction on Earth. You would have to decide if you were interested in the north of a planet, the solar system, the galaxy.

If you were floating where you describe in a space suit, I would think you were indeed in over your head, so you would be up. Up the creek.

Ari Jokimaki
2005-Feb-09, 10:56 AM
North is there where the northern side of the Earth's axis points.

mickal555
2005-Feb-09, 11:32 AM
North is there where the northern side of the Earth's axis points.

hmm I dunno if that would work cause it would keep moving wouldn't it

Ari Jokimaki
2005-Feb-09, 11:54 AM
hmm I dunno if that would work cause it would keep moving wouldn't it

Yes it would, but does it matter? It depends on how "north" is defined.

mickal555
2005-Feb-09, 12:01 PM
yeah but.... usally a "north" dousn't move with respect to the body it is north of.

I suppose north would be towards and above the sun.

Fram
2005-Feb-09, 12:10 PM
But... but ... the sun can never be in the north :o

Well, you asked for silliness :lol:

Ari Jokimaki
2005-Feb-09, 12:10 PM
yeah but.... usally a "north" dousn't move with respect to the body it is north of.

I suppose north would be towards and above the sun.

I checked some definitions of "north" (http://www.google.fi/search?hl=fi&lr=&oi=defmore&q=define:north) and they don't say anything about moving. And Sun moves too.

mickal555
2005-Feb-09, 12:19 PM
yeah but you would travel with it cause you are "orbiting
it

Fram
2005-Feb-09, 12:27 PM
BTW, regarding the OP: halfway between Earth and Mars could sometimes be rather close to the Sun, and you would have to have a very strange orbit to stay halfway between them...

Kristophe
2005-Feb-09, 02:41 PM
If I were floating through the solar system, I'd choose north to be in the direction of Polaris. Just, you know, for a familiar reference. And just for giggles, I'd choose up to be the vector pointing away from the centre of the Sun.

nebularain
2005-Feb-09, 07:03 PM
I was thinking that "up" relates to the direction away from the greatest source of gravity.

So then, would "up" be the direction away from the Sun?

Swift
2005-Feb-09, 07:13 PM
Up would be what your time was, when you ran out of oxygen in your spacesuit. :lol:

farmerjumperdon
2005-Feb-10, 02:44 PM
Up and north would be whatever the powers that be have decreed to the masses. They would have provided grants to their leashed experts to assign definition to the attributes of uppish, downish, northish, and southish. The experts would have collected their fee, paid homage to the boss, and headed for southish climes for the winter.

Meanwhile, the surly proletarian masses, in their foolish pride and in their insistense at demonstrating their perceived freedoms would continue serving their masters in what must look to some extra-solar passers by like a Lucy skit on a planet-wide scale. They would slow down and gawk, not unlike people passing an accident where the cars ended up in wierd positions but nobody was seriously injured, regaling at a later time to some cosmic neighbor the antics of the hairless apes that inhabit the 3rd planet out at the 2nd star on the right, just the other side of the tracks.

Makgraf
2005-Feb-13, 03:10 AM
Someone asked this question for fun, and I thought I'd ask it back here to see what kind of funny and serious responses I would get.

Hypothetical situation:

You are in a space suit, floating half way between Earth and Mars.

Which direction is up?

Which direction is north?
Well the enemy gate is down...

nebularain
2005-Feb-13, 10:56 PM
ROFL!

Gullible Jones
2005-Feb-14, 01:29 AM
=D>