PDA

View Full Version : 'Space's Deepest Secrets' on the Science Channel Tuesdays 10pm

Spacedude
2016-Jul-02, 06:00 PM
I've been watching this new series 'Space's Deepest Secrets' since it started back in April and think it's very well done. Up there with the "Universe" series. Anyone else catch it?

Solfe
2016-Jul-03, 01:13 AM
I've been watching. I think I missed a few. My favorite so far was "Quest for the First Star".

bknight
2016-Jul-03, 04:23 PM
Recorded the shows early this morning, will watch them today.

bknight
2016-Jul-12, 02:20 AM
Just finished the episode of beating gravity, aside from the episode on Voyagers, the best one so far. Developing an anti-gravity engine, if possible would be a great stride forward in the exploration of space.

Spacedude
2016-Jul-12, 11:58 AM
The episode about space junk orbiting the Earth was almost too depressing to watch. It ended as if we will be trapped on the planet before too long.

bknight
2016-Jul-12, 12:12 PM
The episode about space junk orbiting the Earth was almost too depressing to watch. It ended as if we will be trapped on the planet before too long.

Do you remember which episode that was?

Spacedude
2016-Jul-12, 01:05 PM
bknight, below is the list, episode #7 was the one about space junk.

http://www.tvmaze.com/shows/16464/spaces-deepest-secrets/episodes

Solfe
2016-Jul-12, 01:15 PM
Hmm... I missed a few episodes and it doesn't look like it's on at normal hours. I do still have the on demand option, but that is only a handful of shows. I hope they do a second season.

bknight
2016-Jul-12, 03:35 PM
bknight, below is the list, episode #7 was the one about space junk.

http://www.tvmaze.com/shows/16464/spaces-deepest-secrets/episodes
Damn, that was/is the only one I didn't record on DVR.

Hmm... I missed a few episodes and it doesn't look like it's on at normal hours. I do still have the on demand option, but that is only a handful of shows. I hope they do a second season.

Me too that's why I recorded them on DVR!

2016-Jul-13, 11:51 PM

Helplessly trapped, unable to do a single thing about it?

Bad Astronomy: What Do You Do With a Problem Like Space Debris? (http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy.html)

What can be done about it? NASA and the [USA] Department of Defense have been cooperating on this for a long time, but the European Space Agency is looking into taking the next step: a satellite called e.Deorbit. Itís in the proposal stage, awaiting ESA approval to actually get started. But if approved, the hope is that it will be tag, snag, and bag large pieces of orbital debris, then perform a de-orbit burn to drop them both into Earthís atmosphere where they will burn up.

Kinda like all the other messes humans have made.

Spacedude
2016-Jul-14, 02:23 AM
"...have been cooperating on this for a long time.... looking into taking the next step ....It’s in proposal stage, awaiting ESA approval to actually get started."

They better act fast. Can we really keep pace with the rate we're putting stuff up there, or make a meaningful difference before the planet is encapsulated in a cloud of nuts & bolts?

bknight
2016-Jul-14, 09:14 AM
Then again there is the China satellite that reportedly is in orbit to eliminate junk.

jamesabrown
2016-Jul-14, 03:09 PM
I remember an old humorous SF TV show back in the 70s about a garbage scow in space, but I can't recall the name. It didn't last very long.

Spacedude
2016-Jul-14, 03:19 PM
I remember an old humorous SF TV show back in the 70s about a garbage scow in space, but I can't recall the name. It didn't last very long.

That triggered a memory of the Trouble with Tribbles Star Trek episode where a Klingon called the Enterprise a garbage scow, then corrected himself calling the Enterprise garbage to be hauled away....upon which Scottie finally got mad.

bknight
2016-Jul-14, 03:23 PM
That triggered a memory of the Trouble with Tribbles Star Trek episode where a Klingon called the Enterprise a garbage scow, then corrected himself calling the Enterprise garbage to be hauled away....upon which Scottie finally got mad.
Gack, that is almost 50 years ago. Time passes fast when you're having fun.

SeanF
2016-Jul-14, 06:15 PM
Quark, starring Richard Benjamin.

mkline55
2016-Jul-14, 07:15 PM

Wouldn't most of the junk eventually fall back down to Earth?

jamesabrown
2016-Jul-14, 07:33 PM

That was it. I wonder if it is worth revisiting.

jamesabrown
2016-Jul-14, 07:35 PM

Yes. Just like all trash on Earth will eventually be covered by dirt and vegetation.

How long are you willing to wait?

mkline55
2016-Jul-14, 07:57 PM
Yes. Just like all trash on Earth will eventually be covered by dirt and vegetation.

How long are you willing to wait?

Wait for what? I'm not saying you have to wait for every piece of junk to fall from orbit before sending anything else up. even if space junk is still being added at an accelerating rate, there's no reason not to believe a balance will eventually be reached.

Spacedude
2016-Jul-14, 09:18 PM

My reply after watching the episode would be that it'll be a looong time, perhaps centuries or millennia for most of it to de-orbit. The main problem is the continued cascading effect that will go on and on until pieces too small to detect will dominate the globe flying around in all manner of direction and speed. Just a couple of more major collisions could set off an unstoppable chain reaction. Not only will the planet be wrapped in a cocoon of rail gun type debris, the earth will also lose it's critical satellite infrastructure which hurts more than realized down here.

bknight
2016-Jul-21, 02:34 AM
I just finished watching episode 10, concerning a manned trip to Mars. I was astonished in the first couple of minutes where the announcer says " For the firs time man will leave LEO" or words to that effect. The HB's will be frothing at the mouth. Very poor editing from the science channel. If anyone has connections with the science channel, give them a email and tell them to clean up the language.

ToSeek
2016-Jul-21, 07:14 PM

Somehow I initially read that as "Richard Feynman" and was briefly very confused.

2016-Jul-21, 07:35 PM
Somehow I initially read that as "Richard Feynman" and was briefly very confused.

Alternate Universe No. 881924123847: Physicist Richard Benjamin developed Benjamin diagrams and actor Richard Feynman starred in Quark.

jamesabrown
2016-Jul-21, 08:19 PM
I received the entire series of Quark via Netflix today, so I'll be dipping into it tonight. I'm very curious how much of it I will recognize.

Right now I can remember just a handful of scenes. A ship grabbing space junk with extended arms. The captain holding a sentient light in his hand, which even to my young mind was obviously just a spotlight. And that's about it.