PDA

View Full Version : Galactica gets second season

ToSeek
2005-Feb-10, 05:59 PM
SCI FI Renews Galactica (http://scifi.com/scifiwire2005/index.php?id=30357)

SCI FI Channel has ordered a second season of its hit series Battlestar Galactica, which has aired five episodes of its first season of 13 episodes. Details of the renewal—including which cast members will return, how many episodes will be produced and when the second season will commence—were still being worked out at press time.

Swift
2005-Feb-10, 06:50 PM
=D>

JimTKirk
2005-Feb-10, 07:18 PM
=D>

I agree! At first I thought it couldn't be good if it didn't follow the original plot. #-o The twists and turns help and so does the lack of trying to make it a CGI FX fest! Olmos was right for the most part in reference to the true-blue old style Galactica followers. For me, I think it's much better in both character development and plot than the original (go ahead and throw pies if you want). I know I'm already anticipating the 2nd season even though we're not even through half of this one.

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Jason
2005-Feb-10, 07:32 PM
The first season is only going to be 13 episodes? Ah frack! I was hoping for a full 22-24.

Lycus
2005-Feb-10, 07:48 PM
If the show eventually goes into syndication, I wonder if they can break up the mini-series into four pieces and air it as the first four episodes of the series.

Jason
2005-Feb-10, 08:20 PM
I am a big fan of the original series but I have to admit I like the new series better in many ways. It's much more complex and adult (and not just because of the sex). I will always love the original series, but now I have two Galactica series to love. What's not to like?

ToSeek
2005-Feb-10, 09:50 PM
On this topic, I have to share this:

World's saddest fan (http://xsorbit26.com/users5/languatron/index.php?PHPSESSID=b80f95dba51c7820c74db711403dcd 11&)

Note how many different people have posted to this message board.

Jason
2005-Feb-10, 10:10 PM
Wow. The bitterness is strong with this one.

World's saddest fan (http://xsorbit26.com/users5/languatron/index.php?PHPSESSID=b80f95dba51c7820c74db711403dcd 11&)

archman
2005-Feb-11, 05:54 AM

That's the most bizarre "message board" I've ever seen! I find it difficult to believe that there is just the single person making all the posts. Creepy.

mickal555
2005-Feb-11, 11:09 AM
Hmm Just watching the mini series now(it airing in Aussie now)

Would it be worthwhile to keep watching it?
IS there any BA? (Obueslly cause of the sound but anything else?)

is it boring?

Yoshua
2005-Feb-11, 11:28 AM
Hmm Just watching the mini series now(it airing in Aussie now)

Would it be worthwhile to keep watching it?
IS there any BA? (Obueslly cause of the sound but anything else?)

is it boring?

It's a good show overall. A couple things might make you go "Huh?" but they are nit picky things. The stories are good, the characters are good, it's a good show.

I can forgive the sound in space thing. Firefly got away with it because so little was actually done in space. BSG wants to have lot's of battles between viper's and cylon's, most people aren't gonna like it if it's completely silent. And given the ships move like, you know, spaceships, it's a detail I can overlook.

Jason
2005-Feb-11, 05:35 PM
I can forgive the sound in space thing. Firefly got away with it because so little was actually done in space. BSG wants to have lot's of battles between viper's and cylon's, most people aren't gonna like it if it's completely silent. And given the ships move like, you know, spaceships, it's a detail I can overlook.

Firefly and 2001 are the only two programs I can think of that did have completely silent space.

The show is more about the characters than it is about the setting and effects, so occasional BA might crop up if it makes for good drama.
On the other hand they do seem to be trying to keep things as accurate as they can.

tmosher
2005-Feb-11, 05:41 PM
I throroughly dispised the first Battlescared Galatica (I was in my first year of college when it premiered and a bunch of us started to watch it but turned the TV off in disgust).

The new series is starting to grow on me...time will only tell.

Jason
2005-Feb-11, 05:54 PM
I throroughly dispised the first Battlescared Galatica (I was in my first year of college when it premiered and a bunch of us started to watch it but turned the TV off in disgust).
It was wonderful entertainment if you were 6 and had just seen Star Wars the year before. :D

ToSeek
2005-Feb-11, 06:23 PM

I remember watching it in college and laughing at it. "We will sell Starbuck to the tin cans for father."

nebularain
2005-Feb-12, 08:27 PM
Yes, let us keep in mind that the original series was created in the late '70's when prime time television was still designed for families and suitable for children. (Why else would Boxy and his daggot, Muffit, have been suchmain characters if not for the appeal of the younger audience? :wink: )

I was one of those younger viewers who enjoyed the original - and yes I still like it (OK, the "Let's sell Starbuck to the tin cans" was a pretty stupid episode, though).

But I do agree now that the character conflicts and developments and struggles of the fleet and mysteries (i.e. What are the "human" cylons up to?) and such with the new series are indeed good!

Although, Baltar would be better off if he'd stick his brain back in his head where it belongs. :roll: I'm still debating over whether his character is idiotic, annoying, or comic!

Fortis
2005-Feb-12, 08:45 PM
Yes, let us keep in mind that the original series was created in the late '70's when prime time television was still designed for families and suitable for children. (Why else would Boxy and his daggot, Muffit, have been suchmain characters if not for the appeal of the younger audience? :wink: )
I don't know. I was probably 11 or 12 when it came out, and those characters annoyed me something rotten. I didn't want to see annoying mop-head and his robot dog. I wanted to see action and adventure. :)

tmosher
2005-Feb-12, 09:16 PM
Well...on second thought what could you expect from television in the late 1070's considering the top five shows were:

Laverne and Shirley
Three's Company
Mork and Mindy
Happy Days
The Ropers.

Was TV really that bad back then (as if it's gotten any better)?

archman
2005-Feb-12, 09:19 PM
What about Buck Rogers? Man, Erin Gray was hot.

Yoshua
2005-Feb-13, 03:34 AM
Well...on second thought what could you expect from television in the late 1070's considering the top five shows were:

Laverne and Shirley
Three's Company
Mork and Mindy
Happy Days
The Ropers.

Wonder Woman (Linda Carter <3)
The Six Million Dollar Man
The Bionic Woman

It wasn't all bad.

tmosher
2005-Feb-13, 04:30 AM

Laverne and Shirley
Three's Company
Mork and Mindy
Happy Days
The Ropers.

Wonder Woman (Linda Carter <3)
The Six Million Dollar Man
The Bionic Woman

It wasn't all bad.

Ok...Linda Carter looked real good in her costume.

There were a couple good shows - MASH, Barney Miller.

nebularain
2005-Feb-13, 10:55 PM
OK, I'm wrong -

Maybe all men are like Baltar! :roll:

Parrothead
2005-Feb-13, 11:02 PM

Laverne and Shirley
Three's Company
Mork and Mindy
Happy Days
The Ropers.

LOL! Hmmm...Laverne and Shirley and Mork and Mindy, spin-offs from Happy Days. Ropers, a spin-off from Three's Company. I'll admit I watched all those shows. :wink:

Fortis
2005-Feb-13, 11:20 PM
LOL! Hmmm...Laverne and Shirley and Mork and Mindy, spin-offs from Happy Days. Ropers, a spin-off from Three's Company. I'll admit I watched all those shows. :wink:
And bizarrely in the UK we had "George and Mildred", which was spun off from "Man about the House". The reason that that is relevant? "Three's company" was a US remake of "Man about the House", and "The Ropers" was a US remake of "George and Mildred".

The question is, was "The Ropers" really a spin-off series or a remake? ;) :)

tmosher
2005-Feb-13, 11:38 PM
And bizarrely in the UK we had "George and Mildred", which was spun off from "Man about the House". The reason that that is relevant? "Three's company" was a US remake of "Man about the House", and "The Ropers" was a US remake of "George and Mildred".

The question is, was "The Ropers" really a spin-off series or a remake? ;) :)

More like a complete and utter lack of creativity on the producer's part.

According to tvtome, it was a spin-off from Three's Company.

The Ropers (http://www.tvtome.com/Ropers/)

Starbuck
2005-Feb-14, 01:02 PM
BTB, any SkyOne subscribers (or online cheaters like me) who've seen the whole 1st season yet? The news of a renewal is ESPECIALLY gratifying for me considering that at the end of S1 we're left with...
[-X
...oh, but that would be spoilers... :P

Swift
2005-Feb-14, 09:22 PM

Laverne and Shirley
Three's Company
Mork and Mindy
Happy Days
The Ropers.

I think the TV programs from the late 1070s were:
The Black Death and Me
Three's Company at the Monastery
Serfs Like Us
:wink:

Sorry tmosher, I know it was a typo, but I couldn't resist. :D