PDA

View Full Version : Moon Occults Hyades & Aldebaran - Early July 29

Centaur
2016-Jul-28, 01:38 AM
The waning crescent Moon will occult stars in the Hyades cluster of Taurus, including their first magnitude interloper Aldebaran for observers in portions of North America during the predawn hours of Friday 2016 JUL 29.

Immersions will occur on the lunar bright limb and emersions on the dark limb. Observers on a graze path will witness a star winking on and off as hills and valleys pass by. Observers between the graze paths will see full occultations.

I’ve created North American graze maps, Besselian elements, and preview graphics with data for Aldebaran, Theta1 Tauri and Theta2 Tauri. They can be seen by visiting my Occultations webpage at www.CurtRenz.com/occultations.html

If you would like specific occultation or graze predictions for your location, please reply to this post with your longitude, latitude, elevation and time zone.

Photos and descriptions of the events would be welcome additions to this thread.

Hornblower
2016-Jul-28, 02:19 PM
The waning crescent Moon will occult stars in the Hyades cluster of Taurus, including their first magnitude interloper Aldebaran for observers in portions of North America during the predawn hours of Friday 2016 JUL 29.

Immersions will occur on the lunar dark limb and emersions on the bright limb. Observers on a graze path will witness a star winking on and off as hills and valleys pass by. Observers between the graze paths will see full occultations.

I’ve created North American graze maps, Besselian elements, and preview graphics with data for Aldebaran, Theta1 Tauri and Theta2 Tauri. They can be seen by visiting my Occultations webpage at www.CurtRenz.com/occultations.html

If you would like specific occultation or graze predictions for your location, please reply to this post with your longitude, latitude, elevation and time zone.

Photos and descriptions of the events would be welcome additions to this thread.

My bold. That's interesting. With the waning crescent I would expect immersions to be on the bright limb. Am I missing something here?

Centaur
2016-Jul-28, 09:08 PM
My bold. That's interesting. With the waning crescent I would expect immersions to be on the bright limb. Am I missing something here?

Thanks for catching that, Hornblower. Time is cramped while I am in the process of moving. Much of the post was pasted from an earlier occultation notice and I missed that needed change. Sorry. It's now been edited.

publiusr
2016-Jul-29, 09:27 PM
Hastur is just going to have to wait...