PDA

View Full Version : And Because Miss Gillian Probably Enjoys A Good Face Palm Moment...

BigDon
2016-Aug-09, 07:00 PM
I just don't know what to say here.

Editors? Who needs Editors, that's what spell-check is for!

grant hutchison
2016-Aug-09, 07:23 PM
I'd heard that about School Two. That's why kids like going there.
School One's hard.

Grant Hutchison

lemming
2016-Aug-09, 08:35 PM
I'd heard that about School Two. That's why kids like going there.
School One's hard.

Grant Hutchison

I'm sure you meant "going their", unless you perhaps meant "going they're" :)

Gillianren
2016-Aug-09, 09:54 PM
Editors? Who needs Editors, that's what spell-check is for!

It's a well-known problem in the field that people with influence actually believe that.

Jens
2016-Aug-10, 12:56 AM
Maybe whoever wrote that title went to a school that was "two easy"!

Delvo
2016-Aug-10, 03:09 AM
If it had said "two easy four kids", then it really wood of one!

DonM435
2016-Aug-10, 04:12 AM
When I worked there, Sumter County (South Carolina) had two districts. I was at Sumter County School District 2. Now, guess what the other district was called.

Time's up. It was Sumter County School District 27. This was a holdover from some earlier numbering and a redistricting in between.

Almost all of the other SC counties had their districts numbered consecutively.

ozduck
2016-Aug-10, 02:28 PM
Surely it is a pun - it must be!

grant hutchison
2016-Aug-10, 02:36 PM
It's a well-known problem in the field that people with influence actually believe that.Yeah. So they fired all the subeditors (who could do miraculous things when adjusting the length of copy, who could spell everything properly, and who knew when to break the "house rules" in the interests of comprehensibility). Now the copy's "checked" by a sixteen-year-old who doesn't even read it, but just accepts all the suggestions the computer makes.

This was brought home to me for the first time when I used to write little pieces about word origins for a medical journal. In the published version, they changed my word "carmine" to "scarlet", presumably on the grounds that "carmine" is an unusual word. Well, OK, except the piece was about the interesting entomological [sic] origin of the words "carmine", "crimson" and "cochineal". Which is different from the derivation of the word "scarlet".

A while later they commissioned an article from me about data presentation, which I illustrated with a couple of graphs of the same data - one a "bad" presentation, and one, based on the guidelines I'd given, a "good" version. I actually could see the problem coming, and I flagged it with the commissioning editor ... but despite that (you guessed it) their subediting department robotically converted both graphs to the "house style", so my entire article was illustrated by a pair of identical graphs, one labelled "before" and one labelled "after".

Grant Hutchison

Trebuchet
2016-Aug-12, 06:29 PM
Given the frequency with which I inadvertently type homophones, I'm going to give them a brake on this one.

Then again, as a native of Montana I can't help pointing out what state it's from. That was the only one we could look down on. We told North Dakota jokes instead of Polish jokes when I was in school.

Noclevername
2016-Aug-12, 10:32 PM
Given the frequency with which I inadvertently type homophones, I'm going to give them a brake on this one.

Slow down there! I'm putting my foot down on these puns.

Trebuchet
2016-Aug-13, 01:04 AM
Slow down there! I'm putting my foot down on these puns.

Obviously you mean "Sloe down their!".

Solfe
2016-Aug-13, 02:48 AM
Obviously you mean "Sloe down their!".

Two soon...