PDA

View Full Version : Kerbalizing for fun, profit and....relaxation?!? Yeah, right!

NorthernDevo
2016-Aug-30, 05:48 AM
'Allo!

Years ago when I was still having my difficulties I downloaded the demo for the Kerbal Space Program. I loved it, but without money I couldn't buy the full version.
It says something that just the demo was entertaining enough to occupy me for years. It says it doesn't take much to keep me busy. :D

I just got the full version this weekend, and it is everything I'd hoped and seen online. Tremendously fun, fascinating, and frequently hilarious. There is a real sense of accomplishment when you finish a space mission. But man...when you don't finish a mission...
I am really, really close to retraining these little green guys with a flippin' axe! :wall:

Oh - if you don't have it, the Kerbal Space Program is a lighthearted and entertaining game/sim which has you developing spacecraft, science and facilities for a race of highly energetic and enthusiastic little green creatures. They have tons of optimism but little common sense; I assume their lush protective planet of Kerbin let them evolve without a great deal of natural caution. They're cute as anything, but MAN they are no help at all getting them into space.

I have to assume that on a space and astronomy-centered forum like this one there are lots of members that have little green kerbonauts flying all over the place...deliberately or otherwise. It's a game that creates lots of interesting stories; great victories, hilarious fails. What are some of yours?

As I said, I've only had the game for about a week so I'm pretty early in my tenure as Human Director-In-Charge at KSC. I'm on Day 19, and I'm about to launch Kerpollo 11 when I get done with this post. I've landed on the Mun many many times in the demo so I shouldn't experience any troubles but...wow has getting to this point been frustrating!

Let's see...perhaps I should describe the fate of the First Four; our intrepid initial Kerbonauts.
1) Jeb Kerman - the great hero of the KSC - made a teeny little mistake on the Kerpollo 9 mission and ejected his spare fuel tanks while entering Munar orbit. He had just enough to establish a stable orbit and wait while Kerpollo 9a was hastily arranged so Val could go collect him. He's currently on backup duty rescuing hapless kerbonauts from the Kerlington company while Val takes the top slot. (Kerlington loves lobbing kerbals into orbit - they just don't provide any way to get 'em back down.)

2) Bob Kerman - the scientist. I have no idea how since it doesn't appear to be scripted into the game, but Bob somehow managed to get himself locked out of his capsule while on an EVA to collect data from Mystery Goo. He's currently in a highly elliptical orbit halfway to the Mun waiting glumly outside his spacecraft for someone to come get him. He's been there for about a week.

3) Bill Kerman - the engineer. I don't need an engineer for right now so I sent him back to the astronaut complex. I discovered I might not be able to get him back, so I quickloaded and assigned him to a test flight instead; testing solid fuel rockets. Bill wound up stuck in a Mk.1 capsule on top of a giant 2nd stage Kickback SRB surrounded by 6 1st stage Kickbacks. It was certainly impressive...no-one's entirely sure where he is right now but last seen he was departing the solar system at a rather high rate of speed. We're taking bets on how long it takes him to hit the next spiral arm.

4) Valentina Kerman: Chief Pilot. The only Kerbal with any kind of sense, the lovely Val has pretty much taken over as the Kerbal-Of-Choice for all manne...er, kerballed, flights. Even Jeb, the only other Kerbal with the 'Bada**' attribute (which lets kerbals keep calm even in high danger) doesn't seem to operate as well as Val does. He gets into the craziest situations; she never does. As such Valentina's taken over as Chief Pilot and other than Kerpollo 11 (I promised Jeb) she'll lead all future long-range flights. I honestly don't know if Val really is any different or better than Jeb game-wise but she does seem to have a lot more success and a lot fewer accidents. Though Jeb somehow surviving the Kerbal Turkey One disaster (it blew apart just before entering orbit) and riding down in a 2.5m heat shield (without capsule) was pretty impressive, I must admit.

Do you have any KSP stories to share?

Cheers!

jamesabrown
2016-Aug-30, 02:17 PM
I watched my son play that a bit, and I'm intrigued. But I'm reluctant to pick it up.

Long ago I decided that I can have a family, a career, and an active gaming life.

But I have to pick two.

publiusr
2016-Sep-02, 07:52 PM
I got singed playing it once...

DaveC426913
2016-Sep-02, 08:23 PM
I watched my son play that a bit, and I'm intrigued. But I'm reluctant to pick it up.

Long ago I decided that I can have a family, a career, and an active gaming life.

But I have to pick two.

Yeah. It's right up my alley.

But I burned out my gaming gland in my teens, playing Defender and Tempest.

NorthernDevo
2016-Sep-03, 05:04 AM
Yeah. It's right up my alley.

But I burned out my gaming gland in my teens, playing Defender and Tempest.

Ooooo, my two favourites!

Even though I'm single and technically don't need to worry, I still limit myself to one orbital mission per day. The rest of the time I'm either writing, doing research (on the upcoming KSP mission), cruising around in here or just off the computer. It's a very loose bit of discipline I stick to; otherwise I'd be the exact size and shape of my computer chair by now. ;)

DukePaul
2016-Sep-03, 05:01 PM
I'm spending way too much time on No Mans Sky(PC) but because it has a major sound bug that crashes the game I do come up for air.