PDA

View Full Version : I got into Grad School!!!

stu
2005-Feb-12, 07:12 AM
Huzzah!! After countless hours of filling out applications and then even more of fingernail-biting anticipation, I got two acceptance e-mails on the same day!! Yay for astro grad school! :D

Tobin Dax
2005-Feb-12, 07:40 AM
Don't leave us hanging--which ones? Oh, and Congrats! =D> 8)

stu
2005-Feb-12, 08:00 AM
Don't leave us hanging--which ones? Oh, and Congrats! =D> 8)

Colorado - Boulder
Maryland - College Park

Thanks! \:D/

Enzp
2005-Feb-12, 09:33 AM
College PArk is inside the beltway and awfully close to all those politicians. You watch yourself.

sts60
2005-Feb-12, 09:41 AM
There are a number of friendly BABBers in the D.C. area who will keep stu out of trouble if he goes to Maryland. stu, just remember to wear your secret BABB ring, and ...

Congratulations! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

keck314
2005-Feb-12, 10:21 AM
My congratulations as well...and if that's not enough good news for one day, I got my first acceptance e-mail from ASU earlier this afternoon!!!

I wonder if they coordinate these things to acheive maximum "effect"

-Jonathan :P

Candy
2005-Feb-12, 02:50 PM
I'm jealous! 8)

ngc3314
2005-Feb-12, 03:08 PM
My congratulations as well...and if that's not enough good news for one day, I got my first acceptance e-mail from ASU earlier this afternoon!!!

I wonder if they coordinate these things to acheive maximum "effect"

-Jonathan :P

Not formally, but who wants to be the grad school that sends out acceptance notices after you've already taken another offer? Some schools I could name used to have a serious problem in that (for administrative reasons) they couldn't announce financial aid until about a month after the other "name" schools. That didn't help...

Spacewriter
2005-Feb-12, 03:17 PM
I went to CU-Boulder. Good people there!

Severian
2005-Feb-12, 03:21 PM
Nice, I'm currently at UMD-CP (though not for astro). A friend of mine is at Boulder (actually for astro)

Congrats!

frogesque
2005-Feb-12, 03:41 PM
WTG stu \:D/ =D> =D>

Also congrats and welcome to the board keck314 \:D/ =D> =D>

Normandy6644
2005-Feb-12, 04:20 PM
Well done stu!

Eta C
2005-Feb-13, 05:39 PM
Let me add my congrats Stu & Keck. I remember the hassles of filling out those applications. This was back in the pen & typewriter days of 1980 so it was an additional mess.

Your first year will be the toughest. Lots of course work, and the school's qualifying or preliminary exam at the end of it. Push on, make contacts with potential thesis advisors, but above all enjoy the ride.

OK, enough old fogy advice.

stu
2005-Feb-13, 07:18 PM
Thanks guys! Yeah, I'm not looking forward to qualifiers, but it's not like I have a choice so I'm not worrying about them right now. I'm more worried about not getting senioritis and maintaining a good average for this semester. :-?

And congratulations, keck314.

The Bad Astronomer
2005-Feb-13, 07:27 PM
Wow, congrats to both of you. All three of those are fine schools. Boulder is an exceptionally beautiful place to live, but you have to like snow. College Park is a good school for astronomy as well, as is ASU.

I didn't have the choice of grad schools (UVa was the only one to accept me), so I don't have personal experience with having to choose. But you need to think about a lot of things! They include what you want to study (remembering that it might change with time; I had no idea I'd be so taken with planetary nebulae), for example.

Don't forget, this is a place you'll be living at for about 6 years, so make sure it's a nice place! I love Boulder, but not everyone does. College Park isn't all that great, but it's near a lot of other great places, not the least of which is DC itself.

Remember, this is a no-lose scenario! Either way, you're doing great!

A Thousand Pardons
2005-Feb-13, 07:37 PM
'grats, stu and keck314 (hey, I like that number)

College PArk is inside the beltway and awfully close to all those politicians. You watch yourself.
yeah, like Boulder isn't in a political maelstrom at the moment :)

Doodler
2005-Feb-13, 07:42 PM
With regards to College Park, the city itself is pretty complete with almost anything you'd need to survive within walking distance, if you can get on-campus housing or someplace within reasonable walking distance, you're in pretty good shape. Traffic is pretty horrifying, though. You will need to be one capable road warrior dealing with the Beltway and Route 1

Eta C
2005-Feb-14, 04:31 AM
Well, living in northern VA (just where did you think the Heart of Darkness was?) I can confirm the traffic hassles. Just watch out when UMD wins a big basketball or football game. When they beat Duke a couple of weeks ago (the game was down in NC) some fans went out and started burning stuff in the middle of Rt 1. Not fun.

One thing you should check on Stu is if the school you go to (CO or MD) has a free shot at the qual. Some schools (Illinois physics is one) allow incoming students to take it as soon as they arrive. If you pass it, you're done with it and you don't need to worry any more. If you don't, it doesn't count against you and you've gained some experience.

I'm not sure if astronomy works this way, but sometimes you can end up far from your home institution. I'm a high energy physicist, and although I was enrolled at Illinois, I spent the last five years of grad school living in Palo Alto CA since my thesis experiment was at the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center. As much as I liked Urbana (I was a UI undergrad as well. Academic incest at its best) it was nice to live in the Bay area as well.

Swift
2005-Feb-14, 02:31 PM
=D>
Congrats and good luck. Enjoy undergrad life while you can, it gets tougher before it gets better. :wink: