PDA

View Full Version : US cities that have state names

2005-Feb-13, 10:13 AM
I found this old list I made, of cities in the United States that share names with states in the US. This list is a chain, with each city name, except the first, coming from the state preceding. Can anyone find a longer chain?

Wyoming, Minnesota
Minnesota, California
California, Georgia
Georgia, Kansas
Kansas, Vermont
Vermont, Indiana
Indiana, Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania, Alabama
Alabama, New York
New York, Florida
Florida, Ohio
Ohio, Texas
Texas, Maryland
Maryland, Louisiana
Louisiana, Missouri

A circular chain (one longer than: New York, New York)?

How about cities in the world that share names with countries?

paulie jay
2005-Feb-13, 10:26 AM
Well I know that kind of interesting thing doesn't happen in Australia - most of our state names are very boring and descriptive! I must admit that I can't think of any cities that share their names with actual countries though.

archman
2005-Feb-13, 10:32 AM
I wonder how much stuff like this screws up the U.S. postal system.

frogesque
2005-Feb-13, 10:34 AM
Well here in bonny Scotland we have both a California and a Moscow!

paulie jay
2005-Feb-13, 10:46 AM
Well we've got a Miami and Toronto in Australia, but I can't think of any towns named after countries.

2005-Feb-13, 10:51 AM
I wonder how much stuff like this screws up the U.S. postal system.
I came up with the list in order to screw up a certain corporate headquarters. When we moved into a new building, they directed us to name our conference rooms after cities. Another building's occupants had had to name their rooms after states. Evil person that I am, I submitted city names that were all also state names, so they'd appear to violate The Official Rules.

A Thousand Pardons
2005-Feb-13, 11:14 AM
A circular chain (one longer than: New York, New York)?
How about:

Texas, Maryland
Maryland, Texas

Sounds like a red-blue introduction.

Starting your list with Wyoming makes it certain that you'll never get back to the very start--it doesn't have that many towns, and none of them share a name with a state. :)

Since there is a Texas, Georgia (mapblast says it's in Heard County), that inserted in your list after Texas makes a circular chain of ten states.

Lycus
2005-Feb-13, 11:21 AM
How about cities in the world that share names with countries?
Would Mexico City count?

harlequin
2005-Feb-13, 03:52 PM
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

Fram
2005-Feb-13, 04:08 PM
Kansas City, Guatemala city, Belize city...
I have no idea of cities with the names of other countries though.
We have a small village in Belgium called 'Buitenland', which means 'abroad' (or 'another country').

cyswxman
2005-Feb-13, 04:26 PM
Peru, Indiana and Peru, Illinois

Hutch
2005-Feb-13, 04:32 PM
Slight derail but in the same general topic, my brother went to a University named after a city in Florida and located in a town named after a city in England......but never left the State of Ohio.

Miami (OH) University, located in Oxford, Ohio.

Normandy6644
2005-Feb-13, 04:33 PM
Miami (OH) University, located in Oxford, Ohio.

Haha, I always loved that.

Fram
2005-Feb-13, 04:36 PM
I've heard that booking a flight to Sydney can give unexpected results (http://www.flightcomparison.co.uk/flightcomparison/flights/flysydneyyqy.htm) as well (I know, Sydney is not the capital, but hey!).

Andromeda321
2005-Feb-13, 04:44 PM
I go to college in Ohio which means a great many of my friends hail from small towns in the area. In addition to my bf hailing from Oxford, Ohio I have a good friend who hails from Dublin, Ohio and another from London, Ohio (oddly enough he has a slight British accent). For a bunch of kids from one horse Midweatern towns they sure sound like an international bunch don't they? :wink:
Oh, and Mikal keeps informing me that there's a Cleveland in Australia that's also next to a lake (but I doubt it's as big as Erie). I've found that sort of amusing, for the record.

Torsten
2005-Feb-13, 05:02 PM
I've heard that booking a flight to Sydney can give unexpected results (http://www.flightcomparison.co.uk/flightcomparison/flights/flysydneyyqy.htm) as well (I know, Sydney is not the capital, but hey!).

So, would that land you in Sydney, Nova Scotia, or Sydney, British Columbia (where the airport for our provincial capital is located)? They are on opposite ends of the country. :)

Kristophe
2005-Feb-13, 05:09 PM

So, would that land you in Sydney, Nova Scotia, or Sydney, British Columbia (where the airport for our provincial capital is located)? They are on opposite ends of the country. :)

Evidently, Sydney, Nova Scotia, where we've been host to a confused and disappointed British family once or twice in the last 4 years.

Normandy6644
2005-Feb-13, 06:12 PM

Evidently, Sydney, Nova Scotia, where we've been host to a confused and disappointed British family once or twice in the last 4 years.

Hahaha, that's hilarious.

"Yes, Madame, we're going to Sydney for the weekend!"
"Oh delightful! It's summer there this time of year!"
Zing!

teddyv
2005-Feb-14, 12:48 AM

Minor nitpick: its Sidney, BC.

Enzp
2005-Feb-14, 05:50 AM
We have a Wyoming, Michigan here. it is near Grand Rapids

ALaska, Mich

California, Nich

Delaware, Nich

Vermontville. Nich

Washington, Mich

Hell, Mich (honest)

Paradise. Mich (just to be fair)

Charlie in Dayton
2005-Feb-14, 06:42 AM
We have a...Hell, Mich (honest) ...
Absotively posilutely...been there, and got the T-shirt to prove it.

Rommie, all you need is someone in the club from Lima OH and you can start your own mini-UN...

Kaptain K
2005-Feb-14, 06:48 AM
There is also a Wyoming, New York.

There is a Texas City and a Missouri city in Texas.*

Arkansas has both a Paris and a Stuttgart.

* Also an Odessa.

Crazieman
2005-Feb-14, 10:23 AM
Take if from a postal worker - state named cities don't bother us at all - as long as people obey zip code and state abbreviation address rules.

Enzp
2005-Feb-14, 11:29 AM
ZIp codes? We don't need no steenking zip codes. I remember zones.

kucharek
2005-Feb-14, 11:43 AM

North Dakota has a Karlsruhe... :-)

Maksutov
2005-Feb-14, 12:33 PM
Ayuh, wan it comes t' towns with foreign names, it's hahd to beat the State of Maine. Heyah be a few.

Androscoggin County

Durham
Lisbon
Poland
Wales

Aroostook County

Hersey
Hodgdon
Houlton
New Canada
New Limerick
New Sweden
Stockholm

Cumberland County

Falmouth
Naples

Franklin County

Avon
Carthage

Kennebec County

Belgrade
Chelsea
China
Manchester
Rome
Sidney
Vienna
Windsor

Lincoln County

Bremen
Bristol
Dresden
Newcastle

Oxford County

Canton
Denmark
Gilead
Hanover
Hebron
Mexico
Norway
Oxford
Paris
Peru
Sweden

Penobscot County

Corinth
Etna
Exeter
Hermon
Plymouth

Piscataquis County

Guilford
Wellington

Sagadahoc County

Bath
Richmond
Topsham

Somerset County

Athens
Moscow

Waldo County

Belfast
Frankfort

Washington County

Calais
Lubec

Lotsa furrin names, ya betcha!

farmerjumperdon
2005-Feb-14, 01:37 PM
In addition to Hell MI, there is also a Christmas MI. My cousin lives there, on Tinsel Drive. I wonder where Heaven is?

There is a Morocco, I believe in Indiana. But I'm not sure if it is named after the country. It may have been around a while, from before Morocco had it's current name, or was even a state. I'm not sure what Morocco called itself as a nation, before it was a colony, and eventually a state. (It was previously named Spanish Morocco and Western Sahara, possibly others also).

Argos
2005-Feb-14, 01:47 PM
There´s a Brazil in Indiana.

Argos
2005-Feb-14, 01:51 PM

There´s Paris in Texas too. :)

jfribrg
2005-Feb-14, 01:57 PM
Of course, in Florida there is Naples and Venice, in Georgia there is Rome, IIRC in Pennsylvania there is Moscow, not to mention that Georgia is in the US.

But being an astronomy site, we should mention Mars (http://www.purvisbros.com/mars/marstop.htm) and Jupiter (http://www.jupiter.fl.us/).

Bawheid
2005-Feb-14, 02:05 PM
There is a Morocco, I believe in Indiana. But I'm not sure if it is named after the country. It may have been around a while, from before Morocco had it's current name, or was even a state. I'm not sure what Morocco called itself as a nation, before it was a colony, and eventually a state. (It was previously named Spanish Morocco and Western Sahara, possibly others also).

It has been Morocco (with various spellings) for centuries, it is where Moors come from.

Kaptain K
2005-Feb-14, 02:55 PM

#-o

Wally
2005-Feb-14, 02:57 PM
We have a Wyoming, Michigan here. it is near Grand Rapids

I now work in Wyoming MI as a telecommuter for a co. down in Illinois. My secretary got a bit confused when she set up my travel itinerary for the first time, thinking I was actually in the State of Wyoming.

She was stunned when I told her I was just going to drive down to corp. for my visit! #-o

Torsten
2005-Feb-14, 03:28 PM
Minor nitpick: its Sidney, BC.

:oops: and LOL. I have a daughter named Sydney who reminded me just before New Year's, as we drove from Swartz Bay to Victoria, that the spelling was not the same.

My point was moot anyway I suppose, because no one really books a flight to Sidney - it's Victoria Airport. But someone needs to tell Transport Canada - check out the address here. (http://www.tc.gc.ca/pacific/air/airport/victoria.htm)

bear
2005-Feb-14, 04:55 PM
There's also a Nevada in Texas (pronounced Nuh-vay-dah)

http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/articles/view/NN/hln5.html

Laser Jock
2005-Feb-14, 05:01 PM
There's also a Nevada in Texas (pronounced Nuh-vay-dah)

http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/articles/view/NN/hln5.html

There is also a Nevada, Iowa. It is also pronounced Nuh-vay-dah.

Jim
2005-Feb-14, 05:45 PM

And Athens, Atlanta, Bogata, Carthage, Columbus, Corinth, Detriot, Dublin, Italy, Jacksonville, Jamaica (Beach), Nassau (Bay), Palestine, Pasadena, Portland, Reno, Rhome (okay, a stretch), Santa Fe, Turkey, Venus, and - of course - Utopia.

edit
(Hey, it's a big state... we use lots of names.)

tmosher
2005-Feb-15, 01:49 AM

...and it's not worth going to or even driving through.

BTW, there's a Nevada, Texas and a Texas Acres, Nevada.

Nevada, Texas is another town you don't want to drive through - I do it on a regular basis between work and home - small town with one ornery cop (who is looking for that lovely 60 mph in a 35 mph zone ticket).

Enzp
2005-Feb-15, 02:14 AM
Speaking of speaking

We also have a Pompeii, Mich

But the locals pronounce it POMP ee EYE.

dvb
2005-Feb-15, 02:43 AM
I know that there's an Ontario, California, which is also a province in Canada. That's where the maglite flashlights are made. In the province of Ontario, we also have a city named London which could be confusing to some. On a few occasions, I've had people tell me they were going to London or that they've been there before, and I would always think England as my first reaction.

pghnative
2005-Feb-15, 03:48 PM
To be really out of this world, Pennsylvania has both a Venus (http://zip4.usps.com/zip4/zip_responseA.jsp)as well as a Mars (http://zip4.usps.com/zip4/citystate_responseA.jsp).

Even stranger is that the proportion of male to female babies is very high in one town, and exactly the opposite in the other. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Captain Kidd
2005-Feb-15, 05:35 PM
A bit off topic but interesting.

We have a Nameless, TN. Story being that when the Post Office was going to put in an office there the town didn't have a name yet. So the government asked them to name themselves. An arguement broke out and ended with one council member storming out saying, "as far as I'm concerned, this town can remain nameless!" And thus the town was named.

Then you 've got ones like New Georgia, GA.

Heh! Here's a listing (http://s88932719.onlinehome.us/townname.htm) of various town names.
Anybody live in Monkeys Eyebrow, KY?
Truth Or Consequences, NM?
Satans Kingdom, VT?

(Those I verified with Mapbast, some of the others didn't come up.)

darkhunter
2005-Feb-15, 07:19 PM
Weed, NM
Sunspot, NM
Wagon Mound, NM
Castroville, TX
Comfort, TX
Happy, TX
Muleshoe, TX
Sweetwater, TX
Nacogdoches, TX
Homerville, GA
Battle Mountain, CO
Cripple Creek, CO
Leadville, CO

Can all be confirmed--I've been through them

Lived Near Happy, TX on a farm for a while many, many years ago.

IIRC theres a (i think Solar) Observatory near Sunspot, NM.

SeanF
2005-Feb-15, 07:47 PM
A bit off topic but interesting.

We have a Nameless, TN. Story being that when the Post Office was going to put in an office there the town didn't have a name yet. So the government asked them to name themselves. An arguement broke out and ended with one council member storming out saying, "as far as I'm concerned, this town can remain nameless!" And thus the town was named.

Then you 've got ones like New Georgia, GA.

Heh! Here's a listing (http://s88932719.onlinehome.us/townname.htm) of various town names.
Anybody live in Monkeys Eyebrow, KY?
Truth Or Consequences, NM?
Satans Kingdom, VT?

(Those I verified with Mapbast, some of the others didn't come up.)
That site plays a little fast and loose with the definition of "funny," doesn't it?

Looking at South Dakota, I have to wonder why "Box Elder" is funny.

And they list "Eaglebutte" and "Mud Butte" but neglect to mention "Bear Butte"? :D

Chuck
2005-Feb-15, 10:50 PM
King of Prussia, Pennsylvania is another unusual city name.

Chuck
2005-Feb-15, 10:57 PM
Here's an interesting source:

http://www.thealmightyguru.com/Pointless/Cities.html

Laser Jock
2005-Feb-15, 11:05 PM
[snip]
Cripple Creek, CO
Leadville, CO

What do you find odd about Cripple Creek and Leadville? I've grown up (relatively) close to these towns, so I don't find anything unusual about the names.

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania is another unusual city name.

That is probably my favorite strange city name.

Laser Jock
2005-Feb-15, 11:07 PM

From that list:

Last Chance, CO

I love that one. I actually drove through it when I moved back out here. It's not much of a town, but it has a great name.

Captain Kidd
2005-Feb-16, 12:57 AM
That site plays a little fast and loose with the definition of "funny," doesn't it?
That's why I decided to just say a list rather than a funny list. 8-[

Inferno
2005-Feb-16, 01:15 AM

Pointless. He's not kidding. But still very interesting.

Captain Kidd
2005-Feb-16, 01:43 AM
Found it.

Unamus, PA. That's another of those "story towns." It's apparently pronounced "you-name-us" and the story behind it is similar to Nameless, TN except rather than fighting over it, the council apparently just couldn't agree (or think up something); so they turned to the Post Office rep and supposedly said, "You name us." And so he did.

Jim
2005-Feb-16, 06:44 PM
How about Uncertain, TX?

Then there's Cut and Shoot, TX. Although that's probably a rearranging of Cutting Chute... Cuttin' Chute.

Mars
2005-Feb-17, 02:21 AM
Take if from a postal worker - state named cities don't bother us at all - as long as people obey zip code and state abbreviation address rules.

I like adressing mail to people using there location coordinates in degrees longitude and lattitude.

Kaptain K
2005-Feb-17, 02:37 AM
The town of Blessing, Tx. is so named, because the U.S. Postal Service rejected the name "Praise the Lord"!

A little east of here is the town of Dime Box, Tx.

My postal address is Elgin, Tx., but I live out in the sticks. I'm actually closer to Coon Neck!

Harvestar
2005-Feb-18, 10:59 AM
mmm... Elgin! We have Elgin sausages in the freezer right now! :D

I've been to Mars, PA. There's also Indiana, PA (where my friend lived - it's also a university), and a California, PA (also a university). Going to Penn State - all the dorm floors (or "houses") are named after Pennsylvania towns. I was in Bohemia house and Daisytown was down the hall. The boys on the floor below were not named since they alternated submitting "Blue Ball, PA" or "Intercourse, PA" (both in Amish country, btw) every year. Some of them I never thought were weird like Slippery Rock (it's a university) or North East! Snow Shoe, PA, well, that's way up in the mountains!

I've also been to Paris, TN.

Out west of me here is Why, AZ - one of my favorites. We did each lunch in Truth or Consequences, NM a few weeks ago. :)

My favorite of all? Moose Jaw, Sasatchewan
Though Spuzzum, BC is good too.