PDA

View Full Version : Pay for performance schools

Gorn
2016-Oct-08, 08:08 AM
Hello. Are there any junior or senior high schools in the world where if you pass say grade 10 with a %75 average in 'all' courses you would be paid by the 'school' $5000 dollars? And for every year that you maintain that average you are simply paid $5000 dollars?

Funny how 'public' schools are free..and or you have to pay to go to college or university.

I wonder if there was a pay for performance incentive in schools whether school performance would improve?

Question #2. Are there any schools out there where students are involuntarily 'drafted' into them and are 'forced' to maintain a %75 average throughout the
year? hmm....just wondering.....

Thank you
G

swampyankee
2016-Oct-08, 12:05 PM
I think some schools were trying it, but it got shouted down. Oddly, it seemed the loudest opposition came from people who supported it every where else.

Solfe
2016-Oct-08, 03:36 PM
I went to PS92 in Buffalo and I was required to maintain at least a B (83-85%). This was an K-8 grade school, so it is younger than you are looking for. City Honors requires top 10% of district averages, so high A. If I understand how City Honors works, once you get in and your grades fall below an A, they do NOT kick you out. They have the capacity to expand.

As far as "drafting", PS92 was a magnet school and there was a lottery to get in. If you declined a spot, you were precluded from entering the lottery again. So it was all or nothing. Additionally, each child was assessed for skill sets and two winners from a single household may attended completely different schools. I went to PS92 because of my low grades while my sister attended Math and Science School because she excelled in those subjects.

When the district eliminated the Magnet system, those schools were transferred back neighborhood schools with a particular area of focus. The Math and Science school had an asbestos problem and the students were shipped off to facilities at the Buffalo Science Museum and the Buffalo Zoo. It turned out that the asbestos problem was unfix-able so the actual Math and Science school was closed but the neighborhoods received the facilities at the Science Museum and Zoo permanently. Obviously, one has a more science and math flavor while the other is focused on life sciences.

Pay for performance sounds like a bad idea. I worked in a school (actually two schools, two different districts) where your proposed $5000 payment would be more than the combined income of some of the households in the district. That would be very bad. Staff would work hand in hand with social services to make sure the kids and families got the help they needed. A $5000 boost in income might sound nice, a check in that amount would preclude people from receiving social services until the money was gone. It may also force them into a situation where they received a grant and had to pay that money back because their income was outside of the grant specs.

Solfe
2016-Oct-08, 04:00 PM
Two more points.

Every child that graduates high school in Buffalo receives a grant for college to cover most costs. It has a residency requirement and requires attendance at an instate college, but otherwise, everyone gets it. It doesn't pay for everything, but covers books and tuition, plus some other things.

The other issue I see is that the state is interested in school and teacher performance, which has everything to do with student performance on standardized tests. In my locality, this is "challenging" because I have been in classrooms where 100% of the students don't speak English or are physically unable to speak (or read), yet the school only instructs in English. The standardized tests only come in written Spanish or English, which doesn't help someone that is blind or speaks Arabic. Needless to say, test performance is rather low. Last year, the district was allowed to accommodate students with disabilities with more time to test for the very first time. Additional time does not help someone who can't read, see or speak, so this accommodation was only a minor improvement.

I almost didn't get a job at a school because they decided to interview me based on my last name and school transcripts. My last name looks Spanish and my college transcripts lists decent Spanish grades. I don't speak Spanish well enough to hold a long conversation, let alone teach bilingually. After I had been hired, I put two and two together and realized how shady that practice is but also realized how desperate the school was for good staff.