PDA

View Full Version : Isn't Anyone going to say it...

Lurker
2005-Feb-14, 06:40 PM
Happy Valentine's Day!!!

I know this is a scientific/engineering sort of group, but hey!! :D

R.A.F.
2005-Feb-14, 06:50 PM
Darn you Lurker! :) I was just going to mention Valentines Day (because no one else had) and I guess I waited too long. :oops:

Happy Valentines Day to one and all!

So...what sort of Valentines Days gifts are being given? We're real short on cash, so I made my Wife a personalized Valentines Day card on our computer...she's going to LOVE IT!! :) :) :)

farmerjumperdon
2005-Feb-14, 06:55 PM
Exactly what attributes do you purport to attach to the word Happy, and how did you come to assign them specifically to today, be it Valentines or not. Even more specifically, are you sure those attributes would be of such universal nature that I must be having a happy day because it is Valentines?

N C More
2005-Feb-14, 07:04 PM
Nice astronomy picture of the day! (http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html) Rosette Nebula is perfect for Valentine's Day.

Lurker
2005-Feb-14, 07:17 PM
Exactly what attributes do you purport to attach to the word Happy, and how did you come to assign them specifically to today, be it Valentines or not. Even more specifically, are you sure those attributes would be of such universal nature that I must be having a happy day because it is Valentines?

This is exactly why I didn't want to even bring up the subject in this group!!! #-o

:wink:

Actually, if I may, the term happy applies to a specific state brought about by a carefully balanced combination of endorphins and neurotransmitters. This specific balance is the only way that the state of "happiness" can be measured since it's effects are exhibited by a set of characteristics that varies greatly between individuals. The factors that cause this variation are many and range from genetic factors to environmental and interpersonal.

Actually there is no universal quality to happiness and it certainly cannot be assigned as an attribute that will be exhibited on any specific day. This is an archaic expression that has in reality no scientific value. It is, rather, a result of the human desire for affection and inclusion in a social structure. Since this is such a strong drive in the average human, many cultures have set aside a day in which to share its importance to the community and culture.

The specific origins of Valentine's Day in western culture are somewhat obscure. It appears that it results from the confusion of a day celebrating a Christian saint and a day set aside by ancient pagan cultures to celebrate this idea of "affection and social inclusion". It is not at all clear how the two became one and the same, but it appears that somehow this merging occured.

Therefore, in answer to your question: Of course there is no rational reason for you to believe that you would be "happy" simply because today has been set aside to celebrate "affection and social inclusion". Rather, it suggests the rather muddled and irrational thought patterns of human society. It is unfortunate, but seems inescapable even in our modern, post tribal society.

:P

HAPPY VALENTINES DAY!!! \:D/

farmerjumperdon
2005-Feb-14, 07:25 PM
Lurker - Great Answer!

I'll go with ancient pagan ritual. Those ancient pagans seem to have invented everything.

R.A.F.
2005-Feb-14, 07:31 PM
Nice astronomy picture of the day! (http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html) Rosette Nebula is perfect for Valentine's Day.

Coincidentally, one of the pictures I used on my Wife's "card" is of a rose from our garden. :)

Normandy6644
2005-Feb-14, 08:08 PM
I bought my girlfriend some roses, does that count? :D

Swift
2005-Feb-14, 08:48 PM
IT

there, someone said it 8-[

Donnie B.
2005-Feb-14, 08:49 PM
There was an interesting, and relevant, story on NPR this morning. It seems that happiness is being studied scientifically from a number of different angles.

In one study, people were given beepers that went off every couple of hours, and were asked to rate their mood and situation. One conclusion of this study, which involved a control group of "ordinary" people and another of kidney dialysis patients, was that the patients were just as happy as the "normal" group, even though they had to endure dialysis three times a day.

Another study was summarized this way: "Money can't buy love. But the happiness produced by marriage is roughly equivalent to that produced by a $100,000 increase in income". Here, the researchers somehow put monetary value on the various items in the study. As you can see, marriage produced a major boost in happiness. Kinda makes us single folks think...

Of course, they didn't say what baseline income that extra $100K was on top of. I suppose a jump from, say, $2.7M to $2.8M wouldn't amount to much, happiness-wise. But from $0 to $100K would be quite an impact... :wink:

Lurker
2005-Feb-14, 09:01 PM
IT

there, someone said it 8-[

I gotta get myself banned from this place, no question about it!!! 8-[

:P

Gullible Jones
2005-Feb-14, 09:25 PM
Happy Valentine's Day, all...

*hugs everyone*

zebo-the-fat
2005-Feb-14, 09:39 PM
I bought my wife a new wardrobe to go with the new wood floor I fitted in the bedroom last week! (I'm just sooo romantic!) :D

Lurker
2005-Feb-14, 09:45 PM
I sent my Persian lots of cards, letters and stuff.

As far as I am concerned, the fact that she's still alive and able to talk to me by phone, email, and IM is all the gift I need on a special day like this!! :)

Doodler
2005-Feb-14, 10:10 PM
Romance... Hmm, remember reading about that somewhere... :-s :-k

SciFi Chick
2005-Feb-14, 10:12 PM
It is not at all clear how the two became one and the same, but it appears that somehow this merging occured.

Consumer products - big business - i.e. Hallmark realized they could make a buck. Not that I'm cynical or anything. 8)

Lurker
2005-Feb-14, 10:34 PM
It is not at all clear how the two became one and the same, but it appears that somehow this merging occured.

Consumer products - big business - i.e. Hallmark realized they could make a buck. Not that I'm cynical or anything. 8)

Now how could anyone possible consider such a view cynical!! :wink:

Perhaps some people like to have a day set aside to share such hoplessly romantic sentiments... want a day to run wild and play romantic games that on other days would cause them to be scolded for being immature and foolish... are excited by a day that celebrates what is often seen as just a bit naughty and forbidden...

Not me you understand.... I'm a hard boiled cynic!! [-(
but I'm just sayin' that there may be some people....

:wink:

gethen
2005-Feb-14, 10:34 PM
Hubby and I had a great weekend hiking and snowshoeing in northern Ontario. We agreed that would be our Valentine's gift to each other. If he brings something home, I'll have to leave him. :wink:

George
2005-Feb-14, 11:32 PM
Happy Valentine's! =D>

Here ya go. Here's a 100 lyr. heart (http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap030214.html).

Here is a pretty cool St. Valentine's story (in first person)... here (http://www.pictureframes.co.uk/pages/saint_valentine.htm)

Swift
2005-Feb-14, 11:56 PM

Actually I like V-day (got some bath stuffs for my sweetie). The one that is pure Marketing is Sweetest Day. Haven't heard of it. That's because American Greetings (a greeting card company) invented it. I first heard about it when I moved to Ohio. I try to avoid it, but the pressure is great. :evil:

Lurker
2005-Feb-15, 12:12 AM
Actually I like V-day (got some bath stuffs for my sweetie). The one that is pure Marketing is Sweetest Day. Haven't heard of it. That's because American Greetings (a greeting card company) invented it. I first heard about it when I moved to Ohio. I try to avoid it, but the pressure is great. :evil:

:o CONFORM!! CONFORM!! CONFORM!! CONFORM!! :o

resistance is futile :wink:

electromagneticpulse
2005-Feb-15, 02:29 AM
Happy Valentines everyone :D

I got a girl in a bad mood with me. She hates valentines day and i gave her a nice message she got really happy and cried then got in a mood with me because i made her cry.

Oh well maybe next year i'll write something insulting and she'll be in a good mood #-o

Andromeda321
2005-Feb-15, 03:00 AM
Well my boyfriend was kind enough to make me a handmade Valentine today that has, in part, the following message on it (yes we do realize just how nerdy we are sometimes):
To my astronomical beauty:
Your eyes shimmer like charged particles in the upper atmosphere,
You are more attractive than the center of the galaxy,
Your warmth dwarfs that of a blue star,
On a Logarithmic scale, you are a ten,
And your smile is more powerful than a Saturn V.

tmosher
2005-Feb-15, 03:09 AM
I bought my wife a new wardrobe to go with the new wood floor I fitted in the bedroom last week! (I'm just sooo romantic!) :D

Nothing says I love you like a wood floor

Maksutov
2005-Feb-15, 03:34 AM
Happy Ballantine's Day! (http://www.falstaffbrewing.com/ballantine_ale.htm)

Click on the link above for an "XXX" site! :wink:

Time to pop open an ale and kick back for while.

http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0304/ernaehrung/food-smiley-005.gif

Normandy6644
2005-Feb-15, 03:35 AM
Well my boyfriend was kind enough to make me a handmade Valentine today that has, in part, the following message on it (yes we do realize just how nerdy we are sometimes):
To my astronomical beauty:
Your eyes shimmer like charged particles in the upper atmosphere,
You are more attractive than the center of the galaxy,
Your warmth dwarfs that of a blue star,
On a Logarithmic scale, you are a ten,
And your smile is more powerful than a Saturn V.

Wow. :o Haha. Well deserved Andromeda. :D

Kristophe
2005-Feb-15, 05:03 AM
Happy Ballantine's Day! (http://www.falstaffbrewing.com/ballantine_ale.htm)

Click on the link above for an "XXX" site! :wink:

Time to pop open an ale and kick back for while.

http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0304/ernaehrung/food-smiley-005.gif

Cheers to that!

Bawheid
2005-Feb-15, 01:59 PM

Nothing says I love you like a wood floor

I'm with z-t-f here. Know your audience; last year I bought Mrs B a carbon bottle cage for her bike. She loved it. Nothing is as romantic as high tech transport accessories. :roll:

TravisM
2005-Feb-15, 02:02 PM
I have a pretty good valentines. I am having a gal I've been chatting with for two years come out for a visit from Hong Kong. Kind of neat. 8)

Wally
2005-Feb-15, 03:10 PM
Another study was summarized this way: "Money can't buy love. But the happiness produced by marriage is roughly equivalent to that produced by a $100,000 increase in income".

Holy crap, did I ever get short-changed!!!! :x :x :x

(he says after finally paying off his divorce settlement only 2 short months ago. . .)