PDA

View Full Version : Not Quite Right Yet...

BigDon
2016-Nov-25, 07:34 PM
I have a couple of large stories I'd like to tell you all but my writing isn't up to par yet.

For instance, what I wanted to convey in the coconut crab thread was it isn't just human avarice that leads to their local extirpation on human inhabited islands. I think I failed miserably.

It comes off like I don't like coconut crabs. Actually I'm tired of misanthropy in almost all natural history publications except space.

Just a brief show of hands, how many of you besides myself ever had pet crabs? Anyone?

The other story I didn't like is the domoic acid post. Half of me says the timing is way off because it's a major downer all around and this is the holidays. The other half is very aware a lot of local families celebrate the holidays with Dungenous crab feasts.

So I'm going to keep working at small posts until such time as I feel I can convey meanings more clearly.

CJSF
2016-Nov-25, 08:17 PM
Hey, big dude, I'm supremely thankful you're here to post at all, in any capacity! I think I did get the gist of what you were saying.

Cheers!

CJSF

Sent from my LGL22C using Tapatalk

Trebuchet
2016-Nov-26, 12:38 AM
I haven't had pet crabs, but would have been astounded to hear you hadn't! Keep on keepin' on, Don.

grant hutchison
2016-Nov-26, 01:07 AM
There's a fishing port called Anstruther, not far from the city I grew up in.
My father (who liked seafood) would sometimes go there, and return with various crustaceans scrabbling about in a tin bucket full of salt water. My mother (who does not like seafood, let alone the sort you need to kill yourself) was seriously underimpressed.
One day she announced to my brother and me, "I'm not letting your father go to Anstruther any more. He always comes back with crabs."
She seemed puzzled by the way we laughed so much that we couldn't speak for the next five minutes.

I had a pet crab for a few weeks at school. It was only about an inch across the shell. We fished it out of a rock pool, and took it back to the salt water tank at school. We transported it in a plastic box full of various representative species from the rock pool, and by the time we got it back to school, most of the other species had mysteriously disappeared into the crab. It languished and died because we were clueless about how to look after it. So, another triumph for the teaching of biology in secondary schools in the 1970s.

Grant Hutchison

DaveC426913
2016-Nov-26, 01:56 AM
I have a couple of large stories I'd like to tell you all
Spill!

grant hutchison
2016-Nov-26, 01:57 AM
And then, of course, there's Gérard de Nerval, the French Romantic poet, who supposedly took his pet lobster for walks around Paris, on a leash made of ribbon.
Why should a lobster be any more ridiculous than a dog? Or a cat, or a gazelle, or a lion, or any other animal that one chooses to take for a walk? I have a liking for lobsters. They are peaceful, serious creatures. They know the secrets of the sea, they don’t bark, and they don’t gobble up your monadic privacy like dogs do.
Grant Hutchison

KaiYeves
2016-Nov-26, 05:37 AM
And then, of course, there's Gérard de Nerval, the French Romantic poet, who supposedly took his pet lobster for walks around Paris, on a leash made of ribbon.
Grant Hutchison
Years ago in Elementary School I would half-jokingly talk with people I knew about how I wanted to have a pet lobster and walk it around on a leash. I had no idea that anyone had actually done it in reality!

DonM435
2016-Nov-26, 06:11 AM
I haven't had pet crabs, but would have been astounded to hear you hadn't! Keep on keepin' on, Don.

Big Don does seem to have compassion for nature's unlovliest creatures, and that's to his credit, I'd say.

Swift
2016-Nov-28, 09:10 PM
When I see the title of this thread, I think of the song Galileo by the Indigo Girls. One of the stanzas (below) ends with a similar line

I'm not making a joke
You know me I take everything so seriously
If we wait for the time 'til all souls get it right
Then at least I know there'll be no nuclear annihilation in my lifetime
I'm still not right

KaiYeves
2016-Nov-28, 10:07 PM
When I see the title of this thread, I think of the song Galileo by the Indigo Girls. One of the stanzas (below) ends with a similar line

That is one of my favorite songs, thank you for giving me a reason to think about it today.

Swift
2016-Nov-29, 02:14 AM
That is one of my favorite songs, thank you for giving me a reason to think about it today.
:D

(We saw them in concert a couple of months ago... highly recommend if you ever have the chance)

BigDon
2016-Dec-01, 08:04 PM
Spill!

"It's always better to have it right, instead of right now."

An adage I learned during the furniture mover phase of my life. :)