PDA

View Full Version : Moon Occults Hyades & Aldebaran - North America - Evening December 12

Centaur
2016-Dec-05, 05:32 PM
The nearly Full Moon will occult (cover) the magnitude +0.9 star Aldebaran and stars in the Hyades cluster for observers in North America during the evening of Monday 2016 DEC 12.

Immersions will occur on the lunar dark limb and emersions on the bright limb. Observers on a graze path will witness a star winking on and off as hills and valleys pass by. Observers between the graze paths will see full occultations.

Iíve created North American graze maps, preview graphics with data for Chicago, and Besselian elements for input to a computer program. They can be seen by visiting my Occultations webpage at www.CurtRenz.com/occultations.html

Photos and descriptions of the occulations would be welcome additions to this thread. If you would like specific occultation or graze predictions for your location, please reply to this post with your longitude, latitude, elevation and time zone.

Buttercup
2016-Dec-05, 06:30 PM
...probably around 2:12 a.m. my time, right? :rolleyes:

Centaur
2016-Dec-05, 07:36 PM
...probably around 2:12 a.m. my time, right? :rolleyes:

I'll see what I can do about that. ;)

Buttercup
2016-Dec-05, 07:41 PM
I'll see what I can do about that. ;)

Thank you!! :) Preferably at 9:30 p.m. ... I'll provide hot chocolate and cinnamon rolls. :D

Centaur
2016-Dec-12, 05:44 PM
Thank you!! :) Preferably at 9:30 p.m. ... I'll provide hot chocolate and cinnamon rolls. :D

Sounds yummy. :)

Meanwhile, tonight's the night. :cool:

Buttercup
2016-Dec-12, 06:20 PM
Sounds yummy. :)

Meanwhile, tonight's the night. :cool:

Thanks for the reminder!

ngc3314
2016-Dec-13, 11:47 PM
I forgot about this event until I set up to do a quick shot for a lunar-phase series last night. With a 125-mm refractor Aldebaran is plenty bright to register with a cell-phone camera, like this. I sort of hoped, as a red giant not too far away and going behind the Moon at a grazing angle, it might vanish over a perceptible time, but it gave the familiar switch-off disappearance as fast as my eye could tell.

Centaur
2016-Dec-14, 04:33 PM
I forgot about this event until I set up to do a quick shot for a lunar-phase series last night. With a 125-mm refractor Aldebaran is plenty bright to register with a cell-phone camera, like this. I sort of hoped, as a red giant not too far away and going behind the Moon at a grazing angle, it might vanish over a perceptible time, but it gave the familiar switch-off disappearance as fast as my eye could tell.

That wouldn't have been easy with a nearly Full Moon. Thanks for sharing the photo. Indeed, the nearly instantaneous switch-off can appear amazing.