PDA

View Full Version : February 18 Swift NASA Science Update

Kullat Nunu
2005-Feb-16, 06:19 PM
From the NASA TV special events page:

February 18, Friday
2 p.m. - NASA Science Update on Swift Results - HQ (Interactive Media Briefing)

Anyone know more?

PS. Related topic: Looks like Swift has detected yesterday (February 15th) two bursts (http://grb.sonoma.edu/) only 18 minutes apart!

R.A.F.
2005-Feb-16, 06:35 PM
February 18, Friday-2 p.m. - NASA Science Update on Swift Results.

I assume that's pacific time???

Kullat Nunu
2005-Feb-16, 07:44 PM
February 18, Friday-2 p.m. - NASA Science Update on Swift Results.

I assume that's pacific time???

No, all times on NASA TV are EST (2 pm EST = primetime here in Europe ;)).

R.A.F.
2005-Feb-16, 07:47 PM
Friday...11 A.M....got it...now watch me forget all about it...:)

The Bad Astronomer
2005-Feb-16, 08:36 PM
Actually, I have been keeping track of all the bursts, and I'm not sure what they'll be talking about! So I'll be watching on Friday as well.

Jorge
2005-Feb-17, 06:41 PM
Actually, I have been keeping track of all the bursts, and I'm not sure what they'll be talking about! So I'll be watching on Friday as well.

I've been watching too latly :)
pitty i can't see the show :( have to go on a field trip with the school -_-

The Bad Astronomer
2005-Feb-18, 07:04 PM
The press conference is going on now. It's about a flash of gamma rays from a magnetar (SGR 1806-20) in Sagittarius. I heard about this when it happened; Swift had just launched, and I was keeping tabs on what was going on.

Neat stuff.

Kullat Nunu
2005-Feb-18, 07:20 PM
Here's the press release (http://www.nasa.gov/vision/universe/watchtheskies/swift_nsu_0205.html)

Scientists have detected a flash of light from across the Galaxy so powerful that it bounced off the Moon and lit up the Earth's upper atmosphere. The flash was brighter than anything ever detected from beyond our Solar System and lasted over a tenth of a second. NASA and European satellites and many radio telescopes detected the flash and its aftermath on December 27, 2004. Two science teams report about this event at a special press event today at NASA headquarters. A multitude of papers are planned for publication.

Jerry
2005-Feb-18, 07:30 PM
Awesome!

Anyone want to place any odds on whether this event resulted in a recordable gravity wave?

Jorge
2005-Feb-18, 07:58 PM
when the show is done a short summerie of what has been told would be nice.

Kullat Nunu
2005-Feb-18, 11:56 PM
Anyone want to place any odds on whether this event resulted in a recordable gravity wave?

It was "just" a flare from a magnetar. To detect gravitational waves you need something like merging neutron stars or black holes.