PDA

View Full Version : need new antivirus program

space cadet
2005-Feb-16, 07:45 PM
hey guys... I need an antivirus program... as a student I get mcaffee for free but for some reason it can't update. I don't think it likes my computer. Can anyone reccomend a new program for me? And please don't say "linux" or "get a mac."

I have norton installed on my gramma's computer but I find it to be incredibly bloated.

:P

SKY
2005-Feb-16, 07:58 PM
I've got McAfee Internet Security Suite version 6.0 which I've not had a problem with yet. It contains Anti-Virus, Firewall, Privacy Protector and Spam Killer. It was fairly easy to set up and is currently easy to maintain. I know others here will disagree, but I'm pretty happy with it so far. Now I have had problems with an earlier version (I think it was 5.0 or 4.0) where I was completely unhappy with it, and it really made me debate on buying the 6.0 version. The earlier version I couldn't connect to the internet with the firewall on at all, the product wouldn't update, etc. But so far, they seemed to have fixed alot of the problems with 6.0.

Nicolas
2005-Feb-16, 08:00 PM
I still like "AntiVir": free and low on resources, and on XP the updates don't require a full reinstall these days. It has good realtime scanning, but the free license only allows you to scan a complete drive at once if you do a check, so not just a few maps. It has reasonable detection, not the best in the world but it gets a lot out of your PC.

teddyv
2005-Feb-16, 08:00 PM
I've got McAfee Internet Security Suite version 6.0 which I've not had a problem with yet. It contains Anti-Virus, Firewall, Privacy Protector and Spam Killer. It was fairly easy to set up and is currently easy to maintain. I know others here will disagree, but I'm pretty happy with it so far. Now I have had problems with an earlier version (I think it was 5.0 or 4.0) where I was completely unhappy with it, and it really made me debate on buying the 6.0 version. The earlier version I couldn't connect to the internet with the firewall on at all, the product wouldn't update, etc. But so far, they seemed to have fixed alot of the problems with 6.0.

What about AVG? It's free (well, they ask for a donation).

TimH
2005-Feb-16, 08:04 PM
hmm, I never checked the file size, so I can't comment on the bloatware-ness of norton's but it has always done very well for me. Easy to set up, frequent updates of virus definations (things you already know based on the OP)

I ran a search on cnet.com for virus reviews http://reviews.search.com/search?q=antivirus&tag=srch&x=0&y=0 According to them, pc-cillinis a winner (I just skimmed the ratings, I didn't read any)

Hope it helps

SKY
2005-Feb-16, 08:16 PM

What about AVG? It's free (well, they ask for a donation).

I've never heard of AVG. Got a link?

zebo-the-fat
2005-Feb-16, 08:26 PM
I like norton, it works well, checks files, emails and downloads. You can set it to update itself and virus definitions automaticaly.
It works for me! :D

Gullible Jones
2005-Feb-16, 08:53 PM
Use AVG free edition. So long as you don't do something incredibly stupid, you should be safe... (AVG probably isn't as good as Norton at finding viruses, but it makes up for that in better trojan detection IIRC, and it's still quite good at finding viruses.)

There's also Avast, but in my experience it's bloated and slow, and it has no heuristic detection (for whatever that's worth, which is probably not much if it's not neural-network heuristics ala F-Prot.) Updates are pretty frequent though. (Rejzor of the Wilders forums claims Avast uses generic detection, but I sincerely doubt that. Could be an upcoming feature though.)

Antivir I would not use, at least last I heard of it, until it improves... But then again, it's been a while since I last looked at the stats on it. It was improving rapidly then, and might be able to compete with some commercial AVs by now... But I would probably want to use AVG instead.

For commercial AVs, there's NOD32 - midweight memery usage, cutting edge features, and it has some sort of "bad download detection" and "Advanced Heuristics" (some kind of advanced heuristic detection like F-Prot's, but apparently targetted more towards trojans). From looking at the Wilders forums though, it seems it could be a bit buggy.

Another commercial AV is F-Prot. It's supposed to be very good at finding viruses, but seems to need work for finding trojan... Interestingly, the on-access scanner uses only 2-3 megs of RAM.

Finally, there's an open-source AV, ClamWin (ClamAV for Windows). An interesting idea, but I would not use it... For one thing, I have rather mixed feelings about a fully open-source AV, and for another, its database of virus definitions is realtively small...

Moose
2005-Feb-16, 09:00 PM
Use AVG free edition. So long as you don't do something incredibly stupid, you should be safe... (AVG probably isn't as good as Norton at finding viruses, but it makes up for that in better trojan detection IIRC, and it's still quite good at finding viruses.)

Better, actually, in many ways. The updates are a bit slower though.

It does what it does well (from direct comparison, better than McAffee IMO), and according to my coworker, it's won some recent performance awards.

It plays nicely with its neighbors (unlike Norton, which I also have direct experience with), very lightweight (compared to both McAffee and Norton). It ran comfortably in always-on mode on my father's old P-133.

Best yet, unlike either Norton or McAffee, it does not appear to be directly targetted by many recent viruses.

www.grisoft.com for your link.

Swift
2005-Feb-16, 09:01 PM
I like norton, it works well, checks files, emails and downloads. You can set it to update itself and virus definitions automaticaly.
It works for me! :D
I use Norton System Works. It works fine, particularly the antir-virus, but the full System Works package, with disk checking, system checking, tracking software installs, etc., etc., is a resource hog. I've disabled a lot of the background stuff because of that.

Gullible Jones
2005-Feb-17, 02:20 AM
Apparently, McAffee is an extremely good antivirus. At least that's what I hear on the Wilders forums...

Then again, the Wilders folks say that AVG sucks... Needless to say, it does not. :?

Wolverine
2005-Feb-17, 03:11 AM
From personal experience, I've found Norton and AVG to be particularly poor at detecting/identifying/removing trojans.

Trend's PC-cillin is excellent, as is their free online version of HouseCall (http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp).
Panda's ActiveScan (http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm) also works quite well.

The moral of the story: never rely solely on one AV program -- make sure you have a safety net. I just removed a trojan with WinCleaner's AV software (http://www.wincleaner.com/) that none of the above were able to detect.

Edited to add: the Trend and Panda resources above do not support FireFox that I'm aware of. If you'd like to try them, I'd recommend opening in IE.

SKY
2005-Feb-17, 04:40 AM
From personal experience, I've found Norton and AVG to be particularly poor at detecting/identifying/removing trojans.

Trend's PC-cillin is excellent, as is their free online version of HouseCall (http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp).
Panda's ActiveScan (http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm) also works quite well.

The moral of the story: never rely solely on one AV program -- make sure you have a safety net. I just removed a trojan with WinCleaner's AV software (http://www.wincleaner.com/) that none of the above were able to detect.

Edited to add: the Trend and Panda resources above do not support FireFox that I'm aware of. If you'd like to try them, I'd recommend opening in IE.

I've never tried the PC-cillin purchased product, but the Housecall online virus scan is excellent. I usually will run a scan with my McAfee and then an online one from Housecall. I've had the online scan find stuff that McAfee doesn't. But something to note, it doesn't usually clean the files (at least not usually for me) but it will give you the path of the file, you can go into Safe Mode and delete the file(s) manually.

TravisM
2005-Feb-17, 04:51 AM
http://www.free-av.com

It's called AntiVir, made by a german company. They only charge non-residential 'customers,' have fairly regular updates (3 times a day in some cases) and use is a breeze.

I've used it for a while now and a friend of mine's dad fixed a PC that had a crashed boot sector where McAfee's and Norton's failed. 8)

Wolverine
2005-Feb-17, 05:10 AM
But something to note, it doesn't usually clean the files (at least not usually for me) but it will give you the path of the file, you can go into Safe Mode and delete the file(s) manually.

I've only experienced that a couple of times with HouseCall, and would wager it's dependent upon the filetype and nature of the infection. In my case, Panda's scan has successfully removed anything HC hasn't been able to.

Brady Yoon
2005-Feb-17, 05:55 AM
I use McAfee and it's been very useful.

SKY
2005-Feb-17, 07:06 AM
But something to note, it doesn't usually clean the files (at least not usually for me) but it will give you the path of the file, you can go into Safe Mode and delete the file(s) manually.

I've only experienced that a couple of times with HouseCall, and would wager it's dependent upon the filetype and nature of the infection. In my case, Panda's scan has successfully removed anything HC hasn't been able to.

I had used the online virus scan for some work computers that had trojans (Norton didn't catch them) and Housecall wouldn't delete them. But, I'm wondering if it may have been Spyware instead (that's what the computers were bulging with). I'm not sure if Housecall distingueshes between the two. In my computer, it read some blocked e-mail files from my Spam Killer program from McAfee. So, I'm not sure if there was a conflict between McAfee and Housecall, or if it was because the files weren't actually viruses, but Spam. http://img116.exs.cx/img116/934/z0tdntknw.gif

frogesque
2005-Feb-17, 11:07 AM
I like AVG and it shares the bed nicely with Zone Alarm. I don't rely on it absolutely though and use Trend Housecall to check occasionally. I've used Panda against a Kleeze virus which had a script to bypass Trend and AVG. The trick is identifying the blighter, once you know what your up against there's normally a specific 'out there' that'll get rid of it and plenty of help forums as well.

Spyware is the biggest problem I encountered and I threw everything I could find at Linkgrabber 99 and CoolWebSearch on my old pc but there was nothing would shift them (tried Yahoo anti spy, Spybot S&D, Spyware Blaster, CWShredder and few others I can't remember off the top of my head)

Roving Philosopher
2005-Feb-17, 03:00 PM
I use TrendMicro's Internet Security (includes PC-Cillin, firewall, spyware blocker, etc). Never had any problems with it, and I am virus and spyware free. I hear manual configuration of the firewall is a bit tough, but I've never had the need for anything but the default settings.

SKY
2005-Feb-17, 04:29 PM
Spyware is the biggest problem I encountered and I threw everything I could find at Linkgrabber 99 and CoolWebSearch on my old pc but there was nothing would shift them (tried Yahoo anti spy, Spybot S&D, Spyware Blaster, CWShredder and few others I can't remember off the top of my head)

I've had a few that I couldn't clean using removal programs, but that's where I found some websites such as www.PChell.com and www.Computercops.biz. They usually have detailed step by step instructions on how to remove spyware or hijacking software.

Gullible Jones
2005-Feb-17, 11:14 PM
You definitely want Spybot and Adaware on your box, and you want to run them regularly.

In addition, HJT could come in handy...

(IIRC, CWShredder is no longer maintained - newer versions of CWS just do too much to your system to get rid of so easily. :evil: )