PDA

View Full Version : N I C O L A S is the name...

Nicolas
2005-Feb-16, 08:28 PM
Ok now it's just too much. :D

I already said it yesterday in a thread, and today too nobody wrote my name correct.

Today the classic "Nicholas" was accompanied by the new "Nichola".

I use my second name (Nicolas) because people would certainly mistype and mispronounce my first name, and my third name as well with high probabillity.

So here it is once again, the name is:

N I C O L A S

No "h", and with an "s" at the end! It is pronounced just as "Nicolas", where the Dutch/Russian version (or the English, but without the English tongue) including the "s" is preferred above the French version without the "s" pronounced. Nobody ever uses my second name in daily life, but the times it is used we normally pronounce the "s".

Just to make things clear, I'm not offended or angry, it just strikes me that my username is misspelled that often here and wanted to share that remarkable fact with you all. :D

Anyone who misspells my name in this thread gets "The Monuments of Mars: A City on the Edge of Forever" as floadmail in his PM mailbox

Nicolas
2005-Feb-16, 08:33 PM
While posting this thread ANOTHER person spelled my name as "Nicholas"!!!! :cry: :D

edit: TWICE!!!! :lol:

Candy
2005-Feb-16, 08:37 PM
So what are you trying to say? :lol:

I don't do it, do I? Well, I did it once to make fun.

Grizzly
2005-Feb-16, 08:39 PM
From a dad of a Nicolas, you have just made me feel the pain I may have inflicted on my poor son.

And on top of that, I named the other "Josef".

French and German heritage names.

For what it's worth, I will never misspell your name, nor call you "Nick, Nicky, Nic" or anything other than Nicolas.

----
Radicitus, comes!
Really rad, dude!

Nicolas
2005-Feb-16, 08:40 PM
(desparately needs a battering ram emoticon) :D
(and a digital copy of "The Monuments of Mars: A City on the Edge of Forever" for use in the floodmails)

This was a response to Candy's post

Nicolas
2005-Feb-16, 08:44 PM
If my first name would have been Nicolas, I might have made Nick or maybe Nico from it. For others I tend to use the name the person himself uses. I don't abbreviate names when the person isn't used to it and approves of it.

I use Nicolas on this BB because I like the full name (more or less), and because it has less chance of being taken already.

I would suggest not to change callnames to keep things clear here. (that counts for Nick/Nic and things like that, not for the common typos :))

frogesque
2005-Feb-16, 08:55 PM
:oops: :lol: I guess that's why you didn't get my PM

(goes into corner and copy/pastes Nicolas 100 times)

TriangleMan
2005-Feb-16, 09:00 PM
Is "Nick" okay? Just clarifying . . .

Candy
2005-Feb-16, 09:00 PM
Candygram (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=417258#417258) :P

Nicolas
2005-Feb-16, 09:09 PM

I thinkTHAT was because my mailbox was 100% full... :oops:

Nicolas
2005-Feb-16, 09:11 PM
Is "Nick" okay? Just clarifying . . .

Without going into the Nick/nickname pun thingie here :), I would say that if my first name in real life was Nicolas, that I'd possibly transform it into Nick. But I wouldn't use Nick here, because it might not be clear that you are refering to the person using username "Nicolas". People might think that are 2 different people.

Candy
2005-Feb-16, 09:14 PM

Or he sent it to Nicholas (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=2401), which only posted 3 times. :wink:

Nicolas
2005-Feb-16, 09:18 PM

Or he sent it to Nicholas (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=2401), which only posted 3 times. :wink:

Oh there really exists a member with that name? Well, I always send PM using the pm button underneath a post, so the spelling doesn't matter that way. :)

Candy
2005-Feb-16, 09:50 PM
My nephew's name is Nicolas. You weren't in the States about 8 years ago, were you? 8-[

Nicolas
2005-Feb-16, 09:52 PM
My nephew's name is Nicolas. You weren't in the States about 8 years ago, were you? 8-[

Yes in fact I was...no wait you are THAT Candy??!!

Seriously though, I've never been in the US. I've only traveled in (parts of) Europe.

:)

SKY
2005-Feb-16, 10:53 PM
Sorry about that Nicholas, will try to do better.

http://img116.exs.cx/img116/6469/g5cgrin.gif

Kristophe
2005-Feb-17, 12:52 AM
And well we're at it, let me just point out that my name is neither Kristophe nor Ut! So I have no idea why... Err... Wait... Nevermind.

frogesque
2005-Feb-17, 12:58 AM

:oops: :oops: :oops:

Nicolas
2005-Feb-17, 03:46 PM
Just to make it completely clear:

Board member Nicholas has NO connection to me whatsoever.

Candy
2005-Feb-17, 04:32 PM

His mailbox is probably full of PM's meant for you. frogesque can't be the first to mistake the names. You poor thing. Doesn't that really bug you? :lol:

Nicolas
2005-Feb-17, 04:44 PM

His mailbox is probably full of PM's meant for you. frogesque can't be the first to mistake the names. You poor thing. Doesn't that really bug you? :lol:

All that precious data lost! LOST!! :lol:

I thought of setting up a Nicolas Relief Fund, to ease the pain you know..., but I figured that more than half the money would accidentaly go to Nicholas :lol:

Nicolas
2005-Feb-25, 09:00 AM
intermediate result of this thread:

One week later, I'still being called Nicholas, and I've seen "nick" (without capitals) twice to make things extra confusing :roll: :D

Fram
2005-Feb-25, 09:43 AM
Never mind Nico, things will pass!

(it could be worse, we could call you Lassie :wink: )

Nicolas
2005-Feb-25, 09:59 AM
Never mind Nico, things will pass!

Yeah right :lol:

Laguna
2005-Feb-25, 10:26 AM
Ok now it's just too much. :D

I already said it yesterday in a thread, and today too nobody wrote my name correct.

Today the classic "Nicholas" was accompanied by the new "Nichola".

I use my second name (Nicolas) because people would certainly mistype and mispronounce my first name, and my third name as well with high probabillity.

So here it is once again, the name is:

N I C O L A S

No "h", and with an "s" at the end! It is pronounced just as "Nicolas", where the Dutch/Russian version (or the English, but without the English tongue) including the "s" is preferred above the French version without the "s" pronounced. Nobody ever uses my second name in daily life, but the times it is used we normally pronounce the "s".

Just to make things clear, I'm not offended or angry, it just strikes me that my username is misspelled that often here and wanted to share that remarkable fact with you all. :D

Anyone who misspells my name in this thread gets "The Monuments of Mars: A City on the Edge of Forever" as floadmail in his PM mailbox
OK Nicolas.
I got it. :D

Nicolas
2005-Feb-25, 10:45 AM
Congrats Laguna2, you're one of the first! :lol:

Nicolas
2005-Feb-25, 11:51 AM
...and certainly not the last!

If people even bold my misspelled name... :lol:

Paul Beardsley
2005-Feb-25, 12:42 PM
From now on I shall always assume the Nicolas spelling unless told otherwise.

But have pity on me too, Nicolas. My name is Paul Beardsley. There is a footballer called Peter Beardsley. Therefore a lot of people call me Peter. Even though I do not resemble the man, nor do I play football. I mean, what gives? If my name was Paul Brunel, would people say, "How're ya doing, Isambard Kingdom?"

Nicolas
2005-Feb-25, 01:37 PM
From now on I shall always assume the Nicolas spelling unless told otherwise.

But have pity on me too, Nicolas. My name is Paul Beardsley. There is a footballer called Peter Beardsley. Therefore a lot of people call me Peter. Even though I do not resemble the man, nor do I play football. I mean, what gives? If my name was Paul Brunel, would people say, "How're ya doing, Isambard Kingdom?"

probably :D

Seriously, I have little problems with people shorting Nicolas into Nick (not just the Nicholas typo) if it had been in real life, but on a BB it really is hard to see something is directed at me when people type things like
"If it was typed like that it would have been better, nick". I tend to look over it, and that's the problem I have with it. And other people (not everyone knows all comon short names for full names) might completely miss the link to my name.

mickal555
2005-Feb-27, 04:25 AM
Hmm I've never had my PM box 50% full... and I've never deleted any messages......
How much PM's douse eveyone get? I feel I may be missing out....

tmosher
2005-Feb-27, 05:42 AM
Hmm I've never had my PM box 50% full... and I've never deleted any messages......
How much PM's douse eveyone get? I feel I may be missing out....

My PM mailbox only gets filled up when I tick someone off. :D

...or when I've got a conversation going with one of the young ladies that visit this board....these days it's empty. :(

mickal555
2005-Feb-27, 05:45 AM
Candy and HUb' are my only corraspondents.....

Nicolas
2005-Feb-27, 11:18 AM
My mailbox contains 7 mails now, and it's 47% full. It seems like the box counts the number of mails, not their size? I had a full article in my mailbox once, and it didn't count noticably more. I've had to delete my mails twice to clean things up, and I don't get that much mails. It's just full after 15 mails or somthing like that. Probably if all mails directed to me and sent to Nicholas would come to me, my box would be full every other day :lol:

mickal555
2005-Feb-27, 11:25 AM
Yeah your allowed 15 mails, I remember the BA saying he raised it from 10 once....

Candy
2005-Feb-27, 02:09 PM
Candy and HUb' are my only corraspondents.....
I call my messages Candygram's. 8)

Nicolas
2005-Mar-01, 11:28 PM
I assume it is a typo, but the newest entry is "Niclas" :).

So far I'm being called:

Nicolas (but not very often :))
Nicholas
Nichola
Niclas
nick

One day I will be banned for being a sockpuppet :lol:

Candy
2005-Mar-02, 03:08 AM
So far I'm being called:
To tempting to comment... :wink:

Ken Vogt
2005-Mar-02, 03:27 AM
I assume it is a typo, but the newest entry is "Niclas" :).

That was me. :oops:

Not a typo, just the brain not working. Compensating for their being no "h" by omitting the "o" as well, perhaps? #-o

I've corrected the spelling, I hope, on pages 7-9 of the E@H thread.

Once agian, Nicolas, my apologies.

Candy
2005-Mar-02, 06:14 PM
Oh, I see you have Nick (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=9) competition. 8-[

Nicolas
2005-Mar-02, 07:03 PM
It just all adds to the enigma surrounding me 8-[

If we all just continue to call me Nicolas, all is clear :lol:

Fram
2005-Mar-03, 10:17 AM
We'll form ... The Knights who say Nicolas!

Nicolas
2005-Mar-03, 10:32 AM
Guess I'll only need a very small round table in that case :)

And please people, I'm not in need of any shrubberies!
(THere was another thread for these kind of things... :) )

W.F. Tomba
2005-Mar-03, 07:45 PM
OK, let's see if I've got this straight---no h, no k, and don't forget the o, l, a, and s.

Well, that seems easy enough. Thanks for the heads-up, Oilcans.

Nicolas
2005-Mar-03, 07:52 PM
OK, let's see if I've got this straight---no h, no k, and don't forget the o, l, a, and s.

Well, that seems easy enough. Thanks for the heads-up, Oilcans.

=D>

Letters to be used: n,i,c,o,l,a,s; each of those letters only once. The correct order is

n-i-c-o-l-a-s

Things like "oilcans" or "scanoil" are wrong. All other combinations not being n-i-c-o-l-a-s are wrong. n-i-c-o-l-a-s is the only correct order.
And a capital N as the so to speak cherry on the cake.

Nicolas

Thank you.

:D

Nicolas
2005-Mar-21, 08:50 PM
Most certainly a typo, but still:

We can add nicloas to the list! :wink: 8)

Credit: The Supreme Canuck

The Supreme Canuck
2005-Mar-21, 08:51 PM
Yeah, that was me. :oops:

Candy
2005-Mar-21, 08:54 PM
I'm sure Nicolass would've be on the list. :-k

Nicolas
2005-Mar-21, 08:58 PM
I'm sure Nicolass would've be on the list. :-k

Now don't force your way into the hall of fame (which -untill now- remained anonymous, but anyway :)). :wink:

This one doesn't count. You'll have to be smarter to frame nickhoallahzs!

dvb
2005-Mar-21, 09:31 PM
When I quote people, I always double check the spelling of their name.

Nicolas
2005-Mar-21, 09:36 PM
When I quote people, I always double check the spelling of their name.

ANd still you end up with Nicholas :lol:

Seriously, I try to do so myself, including capital letters/spaces. Sometimes I make mistakes with names too. (like pghnative, which I always read as PH-Negative :lol: )

fossilnut2
2005-Mar-21, 09:37 PM
I had a pet Hamster called Nicolas

Nicolas
2005-Mar-21, 09:43 PM
DO you believe in reincarnation? :) (you'll have to believe in time machines as well I think, but still :)) :D

Padawan
2005-Mar-21, 10:00 PM
Hehe, sorry for the misspelling, mate!

Cheers! :)

Nicolas
2005-Mar-21, 10:04 PM
That's allright. I don't really care about misspellings. It was just the fact that it was misspelled often that made me start this thread. I want to ask people to pay attention though, as there is a member named "Nicholas" as well. And "nick" doesn't get my attention and is confusing for obvious reasons.

Nicolas
2005-Mar-23, 04:50 PM
Postume ranking for Project Orion:

Nic

Nicolas
2005-Mar-30, 07:27 PM
(Now she made it, thanks to the you know you're getting old when... thread)

Nicolass

By Candy
[-X [-X [-X mind the board rules :lol:

Nice way to thank me for sharing perfume secrets by the way :D :lol:

Candy
2005-Mar-31, 09:45 AM
Nicolass

By Candy

It fits you so well sometimes, though. :lol:

Nicolas
2005-Mar-31, 09:58 AM
Nicolass

By Candy

It fits you so well sometimes, though. :lol:

[really low] at least I still have things that fit me [/really low] :D :lol: :wink:

---Weapons down; resume friendly status between Candy and Nicolas here---

Candy
2005-Oct-14, 03:44 AM
There's another Nicolas on board. He has a last name, though.

Nicolas
2005-Oct-14, 07:26 AM
I always wanted to have a last name :sad: ;)

We used to have a Nicholas on the BABB, but I don't remember a Nicolas Lastname.

Nicolas
2005-Oct-14, 07:42 AM
We have a new entry to THE LIST:

Genebujold

As you're the first one on the BAUT to misspell my name, you will not be cheered up with a copy of "Monuments" ;) :D

Enzp
2005-Oct-14, 07:43 AM
OK, so you have nailed down the Nicolas niche, Nic, that's nice. Sticking out my neck, but don't nock it.

Hey I typo'd my own name and just left it that way. Should have been Enzo. And for the last forty years I have been hearing "Ozone", "End Zone", "Eezo", and who knows what. COunt your blessings. Not to mention every autumn I have to hear about how since I wear a full beard I could be Santa Claus. Oh my God, that's Saint Nick...

Nicolas
2005-Oct-14, 07:50 AM

Just to make it clear: I'm not offended by people misspelling my name. This thread is an old BABB joke, started when there was a flood of "Nicholas" posts in one week.

btw I see all small text from the BABB has turned into really large text here on the BAUT ???

genebujold
2005-Oct-15, 01:07 AM
We have a new entry to THE LIST:

Genebujold

As you're the first one on the BAUT to misspell my name, you will not be cheered up with a copy of "Monuments" ;) :D

CONGRATULATIONS!

You're ALSO the first one to misspell my name! (that I know of)

It's: Gene' Bujold. Not Genebujold (that's merely my username, and is not capitalized).

Thus, you misspelled both my name and my username.

Nice...

Nicolas
2005-Oct-17, 09:47 PM
Nope, I referred to your username, which makes the spelling of your real name irrelevant here, and it was used as the first word of a one-entry list which justifies the capital letter. ;) :D

(and if that doesn't count I'll come up with something else ;) :D )

genebujold
2005-Oct-18, 12:43 AM
Nope,...

"Nope?" You slam me because I misspelled your name and now you're quibbling?

A plague upon your household!

Well, ok, perhaps some pollen, then.

yeah, i know - wrong season...

Musashi
2005-Oct-18, 02:25 AM
"Slam" might be a bit harsh. Hard to tell if you are being humorous or not... if so, don't mind me, if not, give it a try?

Nicolas
2005-Oct-18, 07:58 AM
I think that genebujold (there you go :)) is being humorous.

It's not like I really will send people a copy of "Monuments" in their mailbox whenever they misspell my name, this whole thread is a joke.

And should genebujold (there you go :)) have not noticed that being added to "the list" is just humor and I have no bad feelings against anyone on "the list", this sentence will make it clear once and for all:).

BTW I wrote the quibble "nope" correct :D ;).