PDA

View Full Version : Lunar "X" and "V" Viewing Schedule for 2017?

jaetea50
2016-Dec-19, 01:28 AM
Hello,

Has anyone seen or posted the viewing/visibility schedule for the Lunar "X" and "V" for 2017? In an effort to calculate the visibility of this phenomena, I am finding it to be beyond my capabilities. Any help and/or posting the schedule would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and cheers,
JT

Centaur
2016-Dec-20, 03:42 PM
Welcome to the message board, jaetea50. :)

On my Moon webpage I post the schedule for the current synodic month of when the terminator will cross the Lunar X, Curtiss Cross and various rayed craters.

Link to the webpage: www.CurtRenz.com/moon.html

I predict the next Lunar X will be seen during the four-hour period centered on 2017 JAN 05 at 02:29 CST (08:29 UT). The Lunar V is generally visible around the same time.

I don't know your location, but they will not be visible on that date here in Chicagoland. The Lunar X regularly appears around the time of a waxing Half Moon, i.e. near the end of the first quarter of a lunation, or near the beginning of the second quarter of a lunation.

jaetea50
2016-Dec-20, 05:51 PM
Hi Curt,

Thank you for the link. I'm in Portland OR.

Cheers,
JT

Centaur
2016-Dec-21, 01:43 AM
Hi Curt,

Thank you for the link. I'm in Portland OR.

Cheers,
JT

Your welcome, JT. It may be barely possible from the West Coast to catch the Lunar X starting to appear as the Moon is setting late on 2017 JAN 04. I edited my previous post to refer to those of us in Chicagoland rather than all North Americans.