PDA

View Full Version : Best end of year realistic sci fi movie?

cjackson
2016-Dec-20, 10:58 PM
Since 2013 there has been a critically acclaimed, thought provoking science fiction film released in late November or early December. The films include: Gravity in 2013, Interstellar in 2014, The Martian in 2015, and Arrival in 2016.

KaiYeves
2016-Dec-21, 12:04 AM
It's becoming a fall tradition and I hope it doesn't stop.

grant hutchison
2016-Dec-21, 12:50 AM
For the first two, the thought they provoked was, Gad, I wish I hadn't paid good money for this.
The Martian was entertaining and pretty, but I found Mark Watney (if possible) even more annoying than I found him in the book, so I ended up itching for it to be over.

Arrival gets my vote, then.

Grant Hutchison

Jens
2016-Dec-21, 04:15 AM
Since 2013 there has been a critically acclaimed, thought provoking science fiction film released in late November or early December. The films include: Gravity in 2013, Interstellar in 2014, The Martian in 2015, and Arrival in 2016.

The only one I saw was Gravity, and I'm not a big fan. I vote against it. :)

Solfe
2016-Dec-21, 04:19 AM
Intersteller - The audience was never getting home. :)

My daughter was horribly confused by Intersteller. She wanted to know what Mark Watney was doing so far from home having gotten home once before. She liked the Martian best.

Jens
2016-Dec-21, 04:23 AM
Intersteller

It sounds like a transgenic sea lion. :)

grant hutchison
2016-Dec-21, 08:54 AM
It sounds like a transgenic sea lion. :)There are multiple options. Georg Steller was a busy chap - Steller's sea lion, Steller's sea cow, Steller's jay, Steller's eider, Steller's sea eagle. You could a lot of damage with that genetic mix.

Grant Hutchison

Jens
2016-Dec-21, 10:45 AM
There are multiple options. Georg Steller was a busy chap - Steller's sea lion, Steller's sea cow, Steller's jay, Steller's eider, Steller's sea eagle. You could a lot of damage with that genetic mix.

Yes, lots of options. I think that eider would do.

Solfe
2016-Dec-21, 11:40 AM
Yes, lots of options. I think that eider would do.

Test, test. Interstellar. Intersteller. Spellcheck should have caught that one, it was all me.

Today, I spell of elderberries. :)

CJSF
2016-Dec-21, 01:06 PM
Yeah. Much of Gravity was a little implausible, but I enjoyed the story and managed to plug into the harrowing nature of Dr. Stone's predicament. Interstellar was visually breathtaking at times, but otherwise I want my money, 3 hours, and hearing back. I liked The Martian, but not as much as the book (of course). Arrival gets my vote as best of this lot, by a mile. I loved it and will see it again.

CJSF

Jens
2016-Dec-21, 10:28 PM
Yeah. Much of Gravity was a little implausible, but I enjoyed the story and managed to plug into the harrowing nature of Dr. Stone's predicament.

Actually, the problem for me wasn't really the plausibility; I don't really care that much. It's the story, really. I can't remember very well, but something about a dead daughter and maybe the other astronaut coming back in a hallucination to tell her to get over it or something like that?

grant hutchison
2016-Dec-21, 11:41 PM
Actually, the problem for me wasn't really the plausibility; I don't really care that much. It's the story, really. I can't remember very well, but something about a dead daughter and maybe the other astronaut coming back in a hallucination to tell her to get over it or something like that?Oh yeah. So poor Sandra Bullock (and that's a phrase I don't often use) was saddled with a huge amount of essentially undeliverable dialogue/monologue, and George Clooney didn't fare much better.

Grant Hutchison

CJSF
2016-Dec-22, 02:09 AM
To each "their" own, I suppose. I liked the "stranded and how do I get rescued/rescue myself" story more so than the back stories. Though I did come across a thoughtful feminist critique of the film that gives me pause and a new perspective.

http://chavelaque.blogspot.com/2013/10/the-feminist-thing-that-irritated-hell.html

The critique is interesting too, in that the author admits the positive aspects of the film, too, but has a legitimate gripe, when you think about it.

CJSF