PDA

View Full Version : Carrie Fisher passed away (heart attack)

Buttercup
2016-Dec-24, 12:04 AM
Sending warm wishes and healing thoughts to her. :cry:

The Backroad Astronomer
2016-Dec-24, 01:06 AM
here too.

Roger E. Moore
2016-Dec-24, 02:20 AM
2016, you can't have this one! NO! BAD YEAR! BAD!

Noclevername
2016-Dec-24, 10:14 AM
Damn.

bknight
2016-Dec-24, 03:09 PM
Wishing her a safe recovery.

Spacedude
2016-Dec-24, 03:45 PM
May the force of excellent medical care be with her.

Gillianren
2016-Dec-24, 05:20 PM
She's been bumped way up on my Celebrating the Living list, and I'll write about her for next Sunday.

Solfe
2016-Dec-24, 05:58 PM
She is now stable...

"We are one with the force and the force is with us!"

Buttercup
2016-Dec-24, 06:01 PM
She is now stable...

"We are one with the force and the force is with us!"

That's SO good to know. :)

CJSF
2016-Dec-24, 07:07 PM
I have to admit I'm a little surprised at my strong reaction to this news. It's not that I don't feel anything when celebrities get ill or die, but since I don't know them, I think my reactions are tempered. But this. THIS really jolted me. I hope she'll be OK, and that her role in the Star Wars franchise is over (Episode 8 is in post-production) so she can have a lighter workload. I don't know the status of her other projects and roles.

CJSF
P.S.
OK, I personally would love to see her in many future Star Wars stories, but not at the expense of her health.

NorthernDevo
2016-Dec-24, 07:30 PM
I have to admit I'm a little surprised at my strong reaction to this news. It's not that I don't feel anything when celebrities get ill or die, but since I don't know them, I think my reactions are tempered. But this. THIS really jolted me. I hope she'll be OK, and that her role in the Star Wars franchise is over (Episode 8 is in post-production) so she can have a lighter workload. I don't know the status of her other projects and roles.

CJSF
P.S.
OK, I personally would love to see her in many future Star Wars stories, but not at the expense of her health.

She's only 60; I doubt playing Leia would seriously increase her workload to the point of affecting her health. She does a lot in the industry from writing to producing so all she'd really need to do is shelve a project or two in order to play a role.
Here's hoping she'll make a full recovery; I assume 2-1B is by her bedside. :)

CJSF
2016-Dec-24, 07:49 PM
She's only 60; I doubt playing Leia would seriously increase her workload to the point of affecting her health...

Maybe before her cardiac arrest, but now? Really?

CJSF

Roger E. Moore
2016-Dec-24, 09:03 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI-pwktI8AQ

Carrie Fisher and her dog Gary. One of the funniest interviews ever, with anyone. One year ago this month.

NorthernDevo
2016-Dec-24, 09:16 PM
Maybe before her cardiac arrest, but now? Really?

CJSF

Yes. She's no different from anyone else who's had a heart attack after all. At her point in her career she can pick and choose the things she wants to do and I strongly doubt that acting is harder than - say - construction work, Printing (my trade) or any other job in which people have had heart attacks and returned to work. Is she to be wrapped in cotton at the age of 60 after an event? I doubt she'd be willing to stop working quite yet.

schlaugh
2016-Dec-24, 10:02 PM
As for her doing more work it's all about how well she recovers. The reports of "not breathing" for 10 minutes on the flight is very disconcerting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grant hutchison
2016-Dec-24, 10:19 PM
Yes. She's no different from anyone else who's had a heart attack after all.Well, she actually is, because she's had (according to media reports) ten minutes of down time requiring CPR on an aircraft in flight. So she's had about as unlucky a heart attack as you can get. People have recovered to normal lives after that sort of thing, but the consideration here is not the level of exertion required to be an actor, but the level of independent function and memory required to be an actor.

Grant Hutchison

NorthernDevo
2016-Dec-25, 01:21 AM
Well, she actually is, because she's had (according to media reports) ten minutes of down time requiring CPR on an aircraft in flight. So she's had about as unlucky a heart attack as you can get. People have recovered to normal lives after that sort of thing, but the consideration here is not the level of exertion required to be an actor, but the level of independent function and memory required to be an actor.

Grant Hutchison

I was assuming a good recovery. She had her episode in flight and flight crew are well-trained in emergency procedures. At this point it comes down to waiting and hoping; and soldiers (former or otherwise) like myself default to optimism.
She was well cared for on her flight and quickly got the best medical care available; you can count on it. She'll be back and working hard in her art in short order.

Thanks; I know the (very) basics of the challenges, but I also know the strength of the Human heart and spirit. Leia will do just fine and be back to her usual routine in no time; you have my word on that. :)

Trebuchet
2016-Dec-25, 01:55 AM
She's only 60; I doubt playing Leia would seriously increase her workload to the point of affecting her health. She does a lot in the industry from writing to producing so all she'd really need to do is shelve a project or two in order to play a role.
Here's hoping she'll make a full recovery; I assume 2-1B is by her bedside. :)

Major script doctor, among other things.

Noisy Rhysling
2016-Dec-25, 01:57 AM
2016, you can't have this one! NO! BAD YEAR! BAD!

Note: NSFW language in the link.

Roger E. Moore
2016-Dec-25, 02:42 AM

Yes, God, yes, just leave already.

Jens
2016-Dec-25, 12:56 PM
She was well cared for on her flight and quickly got the best medical care available; you can count on it. She'll be back and working hard in her art in short order.

I respect your optimism, but you can't count on that. I assume there was a defibrillator on board, but it seems they were not able to restore a pulse. And I don't know what medicines were in the kit, and even whether a doctor was attending her. The pilot apparently said that one of the people was a nurse, which seems to imply that there was no doctor. And it said somewhere that it took the paramedics 15 minutes to get a pulse, which means she was down for a very long time. And her brother said that she is on a respirator, which is not a good sign because it might indicate she is not spontaneously breathing, which would be very bad.

CJSF
2016-Dec-25, 01:57 PM
A coworker of mine had a mild heart attack recently (he is in his late 20s). Doctors had him curtail or restrict many of his normal activities. Now he wasn't the paragon of health, but he wasn't falling apart either. Even if he had WANTED to flout the Dr's orders, he couldn't. He had to take it easy to make it through each day, at least for several months. A friend of mine had an even more "mild" heart attack in her early 60s, and she had to back down a bit from her normal, active life, or else she was winded and sick feeling by the end of the day, for at least a year.

Carrie Fisher seems to work VERY hard on multiple projects every day. She didn't just have chest pains and go to the ER when she landed to find out she had a mild heart attack. Her heart stopped and she wasn't breathing for an extended period of time. She very well may try to resume all her activities if and when she "fully" recovers. That would be great. And miraculous.

CJSF

CJSF
2016-Dec-25, 02:01 PM
Great. Now I sound like a real downer on Christmas.

Look. I want her to be better and nothing would please me more, in the realm of celebrity health, than that. I understand the optimism, and I hope you're right. Well wishes all the way around, OK? Merry Christmas.

CJSF

grant hutchison
2016-Dec-25, 02:42 PM
And her brother said that she is on a respirator, which is not a good sign because it might indicate she is not spontaneously breathing, which would be very bad.I wouldn't read too much into the ventilator aspect just yet. A period of sedated ventilation is pretty much routine after so much down time, along with various brain-protective manoeuvres. It kind of draws out the agony for friends and family, because they don't immediately get to find out whether their loved one is going to return to consciousness, but the long-term neurological outcomes are hugely better if you "give the brain a rest" while it recovers in the aftermath of a protracted cardiac arrest.

Grant Hutchison

BigDon
2016-Dec-25, 06:44 PM
I feel bad because the last thing I said about her in public was critical of her last role.

Get well ma'am.

Strange
2016-Dec-25, 09:16 PM
Latest statement from her mother is that she is in a "stable condition".

I have no idea what that means. Stable, to me, means unchanging. It doesn't say anything about whether her condition is good or bad...

grant hutchison
2016-Dec-25, 09:26 PM
Latest statement from her mother is that she is in a "stable condition".

I have no idea what that means. Stable, to me, means unchanging. It doesn't say anything about whether her condition is good or bad...That's about right. "Stable" is critical-care speak for, "You can go home and get some rest now, because it looks like nothing dramatic is going to happen in the next few hours." Whereas "critical" means, "You really should hang around because we're actually having to work quite hard to stop your loved one dying right now."

Grant Hutchison

DaveC426913
2016-Dec-25, 10:17 PM
Yes, and remember that stable is mostly what doctors are aiming for. Frankly, much of their job is stopping further failure.

Because, aside from major interventions (which are extremely risky in a compromised patient), we are not really at a point where we can actively fix things such as hearts. Mostly, best we do is give the body the best conditon and leave it to heal itself.

It's up to the body how things go from here. And that we don't know yet.

Jens
2016-Dec-26, 12:11 AM
I wouldn't read too much into the ventilator aspect just yet. A period of sedated ventilation is pretty much routine after so much down time, along with various brain-protective manoeuvres. It kind of draws out the agony for friends and family, because they don't immediately get to find out whether their loved one is going to return to consciousness, but the long-term neurological outcomes are hugely better if you "give the brain a rest" while it recovers in the aftermath of a protracted cardiac arrest.

Thanks, that's good to hear. I suppose another small thing that could be taken optimistically is that as far as I know, the reports of how long she wasn't breathing were from fellow passengers, and people often misjudge how long something happens for if they are not properly timing it.

grant hutchison
2016-Dec-26, 01:19 AM
I suppose another small thing that could be taken optimistically is that as far as I know, the reports of how long she wasn't breathing were from fellow passengers, and people often misjudge how long something happens for if they are not properly timing it.Well, you've certainly got to give due weight to medical observations made by a "YouTube personality" who was on the same flight.

Grant Hutchison

captain swoop
2016-Dec-27, 06:06 PM
She died.

Buttercup
2016-Dec-27, 06:11 PM
Carrie has died. :(

Swift
2016-Dec-27, 06:12 PM
A little more detail

ABC News (http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/star-wars-actress-carrie-fisher-dies-60/story?id=44374512)

Carrie Fisher, who will forever be known for playing Princess Leia Organa in the original "Star Wars" trilogy, has died, family spokesman Simon Halls has confirmed to ABC News.

She was 60 years old.

"It is with a very deep sadness that Billie Lourd confirms that her beloved mother Carrie Fisher passed away at 855 this morning," Halls said in a statement. "She was loved by the world and she will be missed profoundly.

Good bye Ms. Fisher.

Jim
2016-Dec-27, 06:23 PM
Okay, I hate 2016. The In Memoria at awards shows and in magazines will be very, very long this time.

May the Force be with you.

bknight
2016-Dec-27, 06:26 PM
I just saw this, sad day indeed
RIP Carrie Fisher

LookingSkyward
2016-Dec-27, 06:28 PM
my 1st movie crush - I was about 14 in '77, and princess Leia was strong, smart, and pretty. RIP Carrie.

Solfe
2016-Dec-27, 06:40 PM

grant hutchison
2016-Dec-27, 06:40 PM
If the descriptions of the events at the onset of her illness were accurate, perhaps this was the best outcome.

Grant Hutchison

The Backroad Astronomer
2016-Dec-27, 06:55 PM
looks like Luke will be alone.
Son of a bleepy bleeping bleep...

Solfe
2016-Dec-27, 07:39 PM
looks like Luke will be alone.
Son of a bleepy bleeping bleep...

Damn. 21950

Glom
2016-Dec-27, 07:45 PM
I'm becoming more convinced the Queen is going to die just before midnight on Saturday as 2016's grand finale.

Buttercup
2016-Dec-27, 07:45 PM
I'd just been thinking (hoping!) Carrie would pull through and recover. That she'd beat this awful year's death streak. Then a notice came over Twitter...

I especially feel for her mother, Debbie Reynolds. Imagine being 84 and burying your daughter.

danscope
2016-Dec-27, 07:55 PM
She was brilliant. I saw her stand-up special on HBO last year. I always thought she brought a lot of talent to any project she was involved with, but especially Princess Leia, as a very determined woman with skills.
She will be remembered and admired as one who brought life to the silver screen and stood on her own as a
great professional. And if a person be remembered well, they shall never die.
The force was strong in this one.

Solfe
2016-Dec-27, 07:58 PM
She was brilliant. I saw her stand-up special on HBO last year. I always thought she brought a lot of talent to any project she was involved with, but especially Princess Leia, as a very determined woman with skills.
She will be remembered and admired as one who brought life to the silver screen and stood on her own as a
great professional. And if a person be remembered well, they shall never die.
The force was strong in this one.

"I know."

schlaugh
2016-Dec-27, 08:08 PM
A fitting lead from the NY Times:

Ms. Fisher won overnight fame in 1977 as Princess Leia, a damsel who could deal with her own distress.

Dang....

Gillianren
2016-Dec-27, 08:38 PM
Written through tears and, as a personal challenge, with no prior research.

http://www.the-solute.com/i-never-considered-anything-else-carrie-fisher-1956-2016/

Jim
2016-Dec-27, 09:09 PM
Thank you, Gillian.

captain swoop
2016-Dec-27, 09:43 PM
Lovely piece

slang
2016-Dec-27, 11:12 PM
Awww that's sad.. She's one of the few actors I've seen outside their roles (well, I assume they were themselves and not acting) that I genuinely seemed to like. Thanks, Carrie.

ETA: I changed the thread title from "Carrie Fisher in critical condition (heart-attack)" :(

CJSF
2016-Dec-28, 01:17 AM
[redacted]
[LLLLOTS of redacted]

CJSF

parallaxicality
2016-Dec-28, 01:44 AM
As someone who has suffered undiagnosed mental disorders, and spent time in an institution, I always respected Carrie Fisher far beyond Star Wars. The Puritanical comments on her IMDB board not withstanding, her addictions were most likely the result of self-medication for her bipolarity. People with mental disorders tend to have shorter lives. The world is hard. Some people never seem to see that, at least beyond themselves.

NorthernDevo
2016-Dec-28, 02:03 AM
As someone who has suffered undiagnosed mental disorders, and spent time in an institution, I always respected Carrie Fisher far beyond Star Wars. The Puritanical comments on her IMDB board not withstanding, her addictions were most likely the result of self-medication for her bipolarity. People with mental disorders tend to have shorter lives. The world is hard. Some people never seem to see that, at least beyond themselves.

(nods) Still here; though it's been far too close.

God bless Carrie and lead her to a better place. She's made Her mark; left Her legacy. Leia was the best-known, but least important of Her contributions.

blueshift
2016-Dec-28, 03:26 AM
As someone who has suffered undiagnosed mental disorders, and spent time in an institution, I always respected Carrie Fisher far beyond Star Wars. The Puritanical comments on her IMDB board not withstanding, her addictions were most likely the result of self-medication for her bipolarity. People with mental disorders tend to have shorter lives. The world is hard. Some people never seem to see that, at least beyond themselves.Like Carrie Fisher, you have had a rough road. My ex has had bipolar issues but did something about it, going into the mental health field for a living and keeping herself medicated and updated with what science has updated in research. Right now her health is not so good and had to cancel out our annual invitation to Christmas at our home. We ( my son and I ) visited her for Thanksgiving and she seemed run down. She reacts to flu vaccine far different than I do. I get a boost from flu vaccines and feel super while she hits the bottom. She is 66. We still care for each other but cannot live together. We always enjoy watching British mysteries together, played all day each Thanksgiving at her home.

The worst part is that her daughter from a second marriage has similar issues that are both undiagnosed and very severe and she won't do anything about it at all. Where she is no family members know right now. We only know she keeps getting fired everywhere and has no friendships that can last. Whenever she does make contact, she calls at 3 AM and expects to be the center of attention, hoping that one of us hates who she hates and won't form bonds unless we do. She is scary and being her must be much worse.

So my best goes to those suffering these and other similar situations who are both living and dying with them. Carrie Fisher had to push herself through all of that. I have been very lucky. My son has Aspergers, the spatial type, and he is a dream to live with in comparison to what others go through.

Gillianren
2016-Dec-28, 07:25 AM
Thank you, Gillian.

Lovely piece

You're quite welcome and thank you kindly.

One of the discussions that's been going around my circle lately is that, in her case, depression didn't win. It may have shortened her lifespan; all things considered, it probably shortened her lifespan in one way or another. But in the end, she outlived her depression. It didn't claim her.

ozduck
2016-Dec-28, 07:50 AM
Sad to hear about her death.

And also another who appreciated Gillianren's heartfelt tribute.

schlaugh
2016-Dec-28, 04:28 PM
Nicely done Gillian...

A few cartoons from around the web; the first a GIF with Carrie Fisher and Alex Guinness and the second from the Bloom County comic strip.

https://media.giphy.com/media/hQvZOb2tFVE0U/giphy.gif
https://www.facebook.com/berkeleybreathed/photos/a.114529165244512.10815.108793262484769/1416302178400531/?type=3

CJSF
2016-Dec-28, 07:06 PM
I came across this article that tries to explain the differences among "heart attack", "cardiac arrest", and "heart failure". Dr. Grant can maybe tell us if they've got it right?

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/medical_examiner/2016/12/carrie_fisher_s_death_reveals_confusion_over_medic al_terms.html

CJSF

Sent from my LGL22C using Tapatalk

Swift
2016-Dec-28, 07:22 PM
I came across this article that tries to explain the differences among "heart attack", "cardiac arrest", and "heart failure". Dr. Grant can maybe tell us if they've got it right?

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/medical_examiner/2016/12/carrie_fisher_s_death_reveals_confusion_over_medic al_terms.html

CJSF

Sent from my LGL22C using Tapatalk
I'm not an MD (former EMT and currently trained first aider), but I would say that article is pretty accurate. A minor adjustment may be that the three aren't as completely distinct as the article might suggest; for example, a heart attack, if untreated, might lead to cardiac arrest.

grant hutchison
2016-Dec-28, 07:22 PM
I came across this article that tries to explain the differences among "heart attack", "cardiac arrest", and "heart failure". Dr. Grant can maybe tell us if they've got it right? It's a reasonable summary, and it explains why I was almost reflexively trying to dampen some of the optimism being evinced on this thread earlier. People suffer "heart attacks" (myocardial infarctions) and return to normal life all the time. People who suffer prolonged out-of-hospital cardiac arrests (as Fisher seems to have done) very rarely make a good recovery. Unfortunately movies and TV have led a lot of people to believe that a person can recover immediately and fully from a prolonged cardiac arrest if only someone very determined pumps on their chest vigorously while weeping a bit and screaming, "Damn it! Don't leave me! Don't you leave me!"

Grant Hutchison

blueshift
2016-Dec-28, 08:59 PM
Written through tears and, as a personal challenge, with no prior research.

http://www.the-solute.com/i-never-considered-anything-else-carrie-fisher-1956-2016/Thanks for putting that up. So you were just a toddler when the series came out and you must have taken things in a bit later, being influenced pretty strongly by her character roles on and off the screen. It sounds as though you could talk about her endlessly and she gave you a lot of energy. Now you seem to want more from her in death.

My sister went to high school with Harrison Ford but didn't say much about him because, to her, it seemed as though his only interest was photography club. I was influenced by the character Sherlock Holmes and would later be fascinated with Arthur Conan Doyle's first take on him, a heroine addict who needed to keep his brain actively investigating the world around him and have Dr. Watson live with him to help ensure that goal .

captain swoop
2016-Dec-28, 11:15 PM
Debbie Reynolds rushed to hospital.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news

Buttercup
2016-Dec-28, 11:23 PM
Debbie Reynolds rushed to hospital.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news

Yes, I've just seen that via Yahoo. :( I had real fear...

captain swoop
2016-Dec-29, 01:55 AM
Debbie Reynolds dead.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-38455777

The Backroad Astronomer
2016-Dec-29, 02:08 AM
Only 3 more days left, hold on it might be rough.

schlaugh
2016-Dec-29, 02:09 AM
Very sad and very unusual. The Academy Awards will need an extra-long memorial segment next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jens
2016-Dec-29, 03:04 AM
People who suffer prolonged out-of-hospital cardiac arrests (as Fisher seems to have done) very rarely make a good recovery.

I used to transcribe medical lectures, and I still remember being (unpleasantly) surprised when I heard about the phenomenon of "repercussion injury." The idea that returning blood flow to ischemic tissue can be damaging is unfortunate, but there it is.

Gillianren
2016-Dec-29, 07:48 AM
Thanks for putting that up. So you were just a toddler when the series came out and you must have taken things in a bit later, being influenced pretty strongly by her character roles on and off the screen. It sounds as though you could talk about her endlessly and she gave you a lot of energy. Now you seem to want more from her in death.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this.

grant hutchison
2016-Dec-29, 08:56 AM
I used to transcribe medical lectures, and I still remember being (unpleasantly) surprised when I heard about the phenomenon of "repercussion injury." The idea that returning blood flow to ischemic tissue can be damaging is unfortunate, but there it is.Reperfusion injury. But repercussion injury makes sense.

Grant Hutchison

Jens
2016-Dec-29, 09:40 AM
I meant reperfusion but unfortunately my autocorrect didn't agree. Actually it flags reperfusion as a spelling error.

parallaxicality
2016-Dec-29, 09:47 AM
And now her mother is dead. :(

Last words, anecdotally: "I miss her so much, I want to be with Carrie."

bknight
2016-Dec-29, 12:04 PM
Doesn't Debbie Reynolds deserve her own thread?

slang
2016-Dec-29, 02:05 PM
Doesn't Debbie Reynolds deserve her own thread?

There is one (https://forum.cosmoquest.org/showthread.php?163436-Debbie-Reynolds-has-Passed-Away) (as you already discovered, but others might not).

blueshift
2016-Dec-29, 11:11 PM
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this.You are likely referring to the last sentence I used. "Now you seem to want more from her in death". That should reword to "You seem to have found more to share with others from her life due to her passing." Does that help or no?

Gillianren
2016-Dec-30, 05:18 PM
It makes me feel less pushy, certainly.

captain swoop
2016-Dec-30, 10:47 PM
What was pushy.

As Donne wrote

Any man's death diminishes me,
Because I am involved in mankind,
And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls;
It tolls for thee.

Buttercup