PDA

View Full Version : RIP Richard Adams author of Watership Down

captain swoop
2016-Dec-27, 06:08 PM
The author of Watership Down, Richard Adams, has died aged 96, his daughter has said.

The tear-jerking children's classic about a group of rabbits in search of a new home after the destruction of their warren was first published in 1972.

The tale, first told by Adams on a long car journey with his daughters, turned into a best-seller.
Adams, a civil servant from Newbury in Berkshire, also wrote Shardik, The Plague Dogs and The Girl in a Swing.

Watership Down, which he wrote when he was 52, won the Carnegie Medal for children's fiction in the year of publication.
Tens of millions of copies have since been sold around the world.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-38446309

LookingSkyward
2016-Dec-27, 06:57 PM
My sister wrote him a letter when she was in grade school (I think it was regarding Plague Dogs), and received a very nice, and detailed hand written reply. Not just a thank you card, but an actual discussion of her questions.

Solfe
2016-Dec-27, 07:42 PM
Watership Down is one of my children's favorites. I spent hours, days, weeks reading it to them.

Roger E. Moore
2016-Dec-27, 11:06 PM
The role-playing game Bunnies & Burrows, by Fantasy Games Unlimited, was based on Watership Down. It was a great game.

And the book was great, and so was the author, and damn it.

Torsten
2017-Jan-12, 06:55 AM
I just noticed this thread...

I enjoyed Watership Down a few years after it was published. Bought a copy of it for one of my daughters many years later.