PDA

View Full Version : John Hurt dead at 77

PetersCreek
2017-Jan-28, 07:22 AM
Just came across my news feed. I take most of these announcements in stride because, circle of life and all that. But this one caught me off guard.

WaxRubiks
2017-Jan-28, 08:47 AM
Sad.

I always think, for whom the bell tolls..

The Backroad Astronomer
2017-Jan-28, 09:42 AM
looks like the war doctor has fallen.

bknight
2017-Jan-28, 12:43 PM
The first film I remember him in Alien, not that was his first.
RIP John

spare part
2017-Jan-28, 01:14 PM
The first film I remember him in Alien, not that was his first.
RIP John

I remember him playing opposite Paul Scofield 13 years before, but even that was not his first.

WaxRubiks
2017-Jan-28, 02:56 PM
I think ..I first saw him in The Naked Civil Servant.

DonM435
2017-Jan-28, 03:17 PM
An impressive career, and he was always effective.

Trebuchet
2017-Jan-28, 03:50 PM
First became aware of him as The Elephant Man. I'll now just prefer to think of him as having regenerated into Christopher Eccleston.

Solfe
2017-Jan-28, 04:52 PM
My dad and I saw King Lear many years ago. I always associated him with historical stories after that (which isn't very true), and was pleasantly surprised when he became The War Doctor.

publiusr
2017-Jan-28, 05:01 PM
A great voice.

NorthernDevo
2017-Jan-28, 05:12 PM
My dad and I saw King Lear many years ago. I always associated him with historical stories after that (which isn't very true), and was pleasantly surprised when he became The War Doctor.

Yes! One of my all-time favourite performances as the Fool. No - scratch that; the best Lear's Fool I've ever seen; many of his lines I remember to this day. Tons of other stuff, many (I think) great roles in non-traditional roles. Anyone remember him as the bartender in Privateer II: The Darkening? He lent a real, powerful presence to a good game of the day. (raises a glass)

Gillianren
2017-Jan-28, 05:19 PM
http://www.the-solute.com/we-are-all-racing-towards-death-john-hurt-1940-2017/

It's amazing how many different roles he did that are classics in genre films.

parallaxicality
2017-Jan-28, 06:38 PM
"My heart has joined the Thousand...for my friend stopped running today."

I just can't help thinking of how many roles he's denied us by dying. A very selfish response I know but there wasn't a franchise that wasn't elevated by his presence.

danscope
2017-Jan-28, 09:57 PM
" A man or woman thespian leaves,

amid applause and cheers .

They bow and walk through clouds and breeze .

Another stage appears . "

God bless you, John Hurt. We knew you well.

DonM435
2017-Jan-28, 11:04 PM
Superbly slimy as Richard Rich in A Man For All Seasons way back in 1965.

Buttercup
2017-Jan-28, 11:14 PM
I've always confused (names) with Heard.

RIP dear man.

Ara Pacis
2017-Jan-29, 05:37 AM
I just saw him in Day of the Doctor recently, and then again in Alien. Something made me think he would be leaving us soon.

Maybe it's just that so many have been leaving in the last year. It shouldn't be surprising. Mass media exploded into many formats and outlets several decades ago. This created a cohort of performers of about the same age at about the same time. As it was they took the stage, so it is they will take their leave, together.

Gillianren
2017-Jan-29, 05:52 PM
My statistical analysis didn't really bear that out, but he had been in poor health. Yet another of the curses on Terry Gilliam's doomed Don Quixote adaptation, in fact--he cast Hurt, who was promptly diagnosed with cancer.

grant hutchison
2017-Jan-29, 06:07 PM
A chillingly memorable Caligula in the BBC's I, Claudius (1976). (Which still stands up to viewing today, although it feels like watching a play.)

Grant Hutchison

loglo
2017-Jan-29, 07:29 PM
"Where will people buy their wands from now?"

captain swoop
2017-Jan-30, 12:56 AM
Winston Smith.

danscope
2017-Jan-30, 01:01 AM
Surely there is a source with " The Mulholland Torch company " ; " 5 Take torches to the stars " . In a good "B" sci-fi movie ,
they open up some hidden cave or pyramid and there is always a bunch of torches already lit ! :)
Maybe they'll take up magic wands as a side-line .

( Any relation between the above company and any real concern are fictitious and ridiculous . )

publiusr
2017-Feb-03, 10:04 PM
A chillingly memorable Caligula in the BBC's I, Claudius (1976). (Which still stands up to viewing today, although it feels like watching a play.)

Grant Hutchison

Zeus, by Jove.

I remember...

Seshat
2017-Feb-06, 03:26 AM
First saw the news on my Facebook the other week--sad news, may he rest in peace. First saw him, as far as I remember, in Harry Potter and the Philosopher's/Sorceror's Stone as Ollivander. Also really loved his poignant acting as John Merrick in The Elephant Man.

Jim
2017-Feb-06, 06:52 PM
Solid, solid talent.