PDA

View Full Version : So what news do y'all be watchin?

Mareykan
2017-Feb-03, 07:02 PM
Just curious to see where people stand around the world.

I am from the United States, and I usually just flicker between MSNBC (Liberal/left) and Fox News (Conservative/right).
Both sides tend to miss a lot, so it's easier to paint a full picture if I watch both (For example Fox basically didn't cover the Womens March, while MSNBC didn't really cover the recent anti alt right riot).

I'll also watch New York's channel 4 News with Lester Holt for the 6:30 slot.

WaxRubiks
2017-Feb-03, 07:05 PM
BBC news channel. Sky News.......used to watch Fox when i had that channel.

Trebuchet
2017-Feb-03, 07:06 PM
Whichever She Who Controls The Remote has on. Generally either CNN or ABC.

Swift
2017-Feb-03, 07:14 PM
I watch Headline News in the morning while I eat breakfast; it seems a good summary, and I like Robin Meade.

I'll watch various local news stations, mostly for sports and weather.

Among the national TV news, I mostly watch CBS - occasionally their nightly news, as well as CBS Sunday Morning and 60 Minutes.

I'll go to various on-line sources when I'm interested, particularly the BBC, sometimes CNN or others.

I read the local newspaper.

Jim
2017-Feb-03, 07:25 PM
I'll watch MSNBC (I'm sure they covered the Cal-Berkley incident), CNN. HLN, the Alphabet Networks (ABC/CBS/NBC), local. I listen to NPR, MSNBC, CNN and HLN. I read the Chronicle in print and Yahoo and MSN on line (which link to all sorts of sources).

KaiYeves
2017-Feb-03, 09:07 PM
When I watch the news, I generally just watch whatever channel is on in stores or lobbies, because I prefer reading the news to watching it. Sometimes I listen to the various BBC radio channels on my phone, though, mostly because the Shipping Forecast helps me sleep.

Buttercup
2017-Feb-03, 09:32 PM
I'm very choosy, as I can't stomach liars.

publiusr
2017-Feb-03, 10:13 PM
I watch Headline News in the morning while I eat breakfast; it seems a good summary, and I like Robin Meade.... as well as CBS Sunday Morning and 60 Minutes.
Same here. HLN actually tells news.

Sunday Morning is my favorite. The old graphics of the Sun. I miss Kuralt and Osgood.

I scan through other channels.

Mareykan
2017-Feb-03, 10:29 PM
I'm very choosy, as I can't stomach liars.
Vice News is pretty good at not lying but....

That's only because they spend the first 30 seconds just telling the important news, the rest of the 25 minutes is just random segments and interviews with their journalists.

WaxRubiks
2017-Feb-03, 10:35 PM
I had an idea for a story where aliens get an honest news caster, take her up into space and then they start a news channel that tries to tell the real news.

PetersCreek
2017-Feb-03, 11:24 PM
Thanks to everyone for not taking this thread into political territory...yet. No one has crossed the line so far, so please take this as an advisory note: don't go there. This topic has a pretty high risk of provoking some strongly held opinions about politics, political bias, and other topics better left out of the discussion. Just sayin'. Just sayin' it once.

Noclevername
2017-Feb-04, 12:02 AM
I avoid TV news, as I prefer information.

Chuck
2017-Feb-04, 12:32 AM
I overhear people at work talking about news. If they say anything interesting I might look it up online.

WaxRubiks
2017-Feb-04, 12:43 AM
Read the independant online.

pzkpfw
2017-Feb-04, 02:58 AM
Our local news shows (i.e. main N.Z. stations, daily 6:00 p.m.) are pretty good, but if I want international news at any time of day I mostly (if on main T.V.) go to CNN or BBC, with occasional flips to Fox just to see if they're talking about the same things. If on the secondary T.V. I only get Al Jazeera, but quite like that for a change.

(Our main T.V. has a "Sky" decoder, getting satellite T.V. - CNN, BBC, and Fox (and others) are in the "basic package" on that. Our bedroom T.V. has "Freeview" - a free to air system put in place when analogue T.V. got killed. (We happen to use the terrestrial, not satellite, version of it).)

I watch a fair bit of news lately, as the regular broadcasts have less and less I want to watch; so if I can't be bothered turning on Netflix, Neon, or Lightbox (some of those are N.Z. specific) I'll channel surf the news.

Swift
2017-Feb-04, 03:42 AM
Sunday Morning is my favorite. The old graphics of the Sun. I miss Kuralt and Osgood.

I do think Jane Pauley is doing a good job and is a good choice for a replacement.

Chuck
2017-Feb-04, 06:02 AM
I used to get my news from Jay Leno. If something noteworthy happened he'd tell a joke about it.

SkepticJ
2017-Feb-04, 06:26 AM
I avoid TV news, as I prefer information.

Seconded.

If it's social/political in nature and non-trivial (if it's trivial I don't care) I'll hear about it via osmosis. I roll my eyes and clinch my teeth enough as it is.

The news I care about is found in STEM journals and non-hype websites.

Jens
2017-Feb-04, 07:55 AM
On TV, usually NHK but it's government-linked, and other channels. For real news I prefer the Onion or the Daily Mail.

spare part
2017-Feb-04, 09:25 AM
They're all propaganda, but generally very transparent propaganda, so it's quite easy to correct for their biases.

swampyankee
2017-Feb-05, 01:55 AM
BBC/America and PBS.

Eclogite
2017-Feb-05, 06:01 AM
The BBC, or ITN, plus forays into RT, Al Jezeera, CNN, NBC to get different perspectives. And Fox News, if I sense my blood pressure it too low. But I get most of my news from reading the BBC website and listening to the the various BBC news programs while commuting.

ozduck
2017-Feb-05, 06:09 AM
Really don't watch too much TV News. I get the morning paper which is ok for Local/National news but poor for International news. I get most of my "world" news off the web - ABC News (the Australian version), BBC news and a (on-line) subscription to the New York Times. Catch up with general headlines on the radio.

Chuck
2017-Feb-05, 06:41 AM
For political news we could look at the Suspended/banned posters log. If anything important happened, someone was probably suspended for mentioning it here.

WaxRubiks
2017-Feb-05, 07:35 AM
I read the seaweed....the future is going to be green and slimy.

pzkpfw
2017-Feb-07, 08:41 PM
I'll add: The Daily Show gets me a lot of what's going on.

And: I find more and more of the websites I'd have read for news are now collections of video news clips to watch. I think that's partly why I still subscribe to an actual thrown near my door morning newspaper.

danscope
2017-Feb-07, 08:50 PM
Reading about the New England Patriots .... a little bit there....:)

Cougar
2017-Feb-07, 11:42 PM
I avoid TV news....

I certainly avoid "facebook news," as I'm not on facebook, so I'm not infected there. :p But yeah, the news is pretty hard to watch these days. I did notice that the new supreme court nominee was one of the three 10th Circuit Appeals Court judges who ruled on a case I put a lot of work into. They ruled in my side's favor, haha!1 Do note that I am not at all endorsing this choice, and of course there's also the very contentious matter of stonewalling the Garland nomination, all of which is inappropriate for further discussion here, sorry I mentioned it!

1 Here's a pdf (https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCOURTS-ca10-12-04154/pdf/USCOURTS-ca10-12-04154-0.pdf) of that decision, if anybody's interested. Oddly, this 9-year-old case is not over yet, since the losing defendant appealed to the 10th Circuit again, this time about a post-trial ruling that impacted whether attorney fees would be granted (as they normally would be in a case involving a violation of one's rights)....

PdeNorte
2017-Feb-07, 11:48 PM
"Watching"? If you're watching the news, you're missing it.

Swift
2017-Feb-08, 07:59 PM
I'll add: The Daily Show gets me a lot of what's going on.

I have said (and not as a joke) that The Daily Show and John Oliver's Last Week Tonight are the best news analysis shows on TV.

Swift
2017-Feb-08, 10:19 PM
... all of which is inappropriate for further discussion here, sorry I mentioned it!
As has been said many times in the pass, posts that contain phrases such as "I probably shouldn't post this here..." or "this probably can't be discussed here but...." are almost universally correct (that they can't be discussed here).

Let's drop this entire line of discussion, or the Moderation Team will find the next person in contempt of court.

Mareykan
2017-Feb-09, 12:32 AM
I have said (and not as a joke) that The Daily Show and John Oliver's Last Week Tonight are the best news analysis shows on TV.

I like John Oliver, but in the past season he had too many seasons about Trump.

KaiYeves
2017-Feb-09, 03:33 AM

Did you mean "segments"? He can't have had multiple seasons within a season.

Mareykan
2017-Feb-09, 08:43 AM
Did you mean "segments"? He can't have had multiple seasons within a season.

Yeah, sorry meant those long 15-20 minute segments he does every episode.

I was so caught up in making sure I didn't accidentally type "Sessions" instead of seasons I brain farted.

WaxRubiks
2017-Feb-09, 08:58 AM

Many a truth said in jest.

pzkpfw
2017-Feb-09, 09:19 AM

Daily Show too, but in the end, what's in the news, ends up in the news satire analysis.

Whether their focus gets wider spread later in the year will be sign of what's still in the news.

Jim
2017-Feb-09, 12:43 PM

Full Frontal. Samantha Bee and her crew have the ability to get someone to really open up in an interview, even if the result is less than flattering.

Solfe
2017-Feb-09, 01:55 PM
I listen to NPR, but I find myself enjoying This American Life and Science Friday. Not much news in those. I don't watch TV news, except for the local affiliates. Usually, I want to know the weather.

As far as reading on the internet, I use the theregister.co.uk, which is tech based news. I also check out BBC and CBC. None of these are good for the weather.

publiusr
2017-Feb-11, 06:01 PM
C-SPAN is very good. Tonight on C-SPAN3, there will be a talk about Able Archer '83
https://www.c-span.org/video/?422644-2/nato-exercise-able-archer-83

On 2:15 Eastern today
https://www.c-span.org/video/?419580-1/industries-future

!0:30 AM Sunday
https://www.c-span.org/video/?421869-2/dava-sobel-discusses-glass-universe

Cougar
2017-Feb-11, 06:26 PM
I listen to NPR, but I find myself enjoying This American Life and Science Friday.

But they often have a couple minutes of 'headline news' every hour or half hour, right? And I guess half-hour and hour news shows I forget the names of. My local alternative public radio has BBC and PRX and the Moth and TED and... a pretty good lineup. Of course the best, and also quite good for news, is Wait Wait...

I don't watch TV news, except for the local affiliates. Usually, I want to know the weather.

I don't watch TV much either. But the local affiliate news is the worst! So parochial! I get my weather from the satellites. :p

As far as reading on the internet, I use the theregister.co.uk, which is tech based news. I also check out BBC and CBC. None of these are good for the weather.

Oh, I guess I do check out the local newspaper, which does cover some national news, where I will often comment on articles or letters. Less often I'll stop by NYTimes to see what they're talking about. I haven't gotten into commenting there....

Jim
2017-Feb-11, 06:29 PM
C-SPAN? I thought they'd been bought out by RT.

;)

Spacedude
2017-Feb-11, 06:32 PM

Yes Oliver is very good on topics rarely touched upon and The Daily Show is also good though I do miss Jon Stewart's flare for satire. Generally the tv is tuned to msnbc, cnn, or fox for comparisons in bias. Being old hat we watch the 30 minute evening news on nbc and tape abc to watch afterwards for comparisons, generally they are identical. Also record Sunday Morning to watch Sunday nite. For science related news it's the science, history, discovery, ngeo, and pbs channels.....obviously I watch waaaay too much tv.

Solfe
2017-Feb-12, 03:03 AM
But they often have a couple minutes of 'headline news' every hour or half hour, right? And I guess half-hour and hour news shows I forget the names of. My local alternative public radio has BBC and PRX and the Moth and TED and... a pretty good lineup. Of course the best, and also quite good for news, is Wait Wait...

My local affiliate runs continuous news from midnight to 9 am, then they switch to policy or special interest shows like On Point. At about 3, they come back to the news until early evening, which goes back to the topical shows. BBC News runs from 11 pm to 4 am, nightly.

Mareykan
2017-Feb-13, 12:33 AM
New John Oliver episodes start tonight I believe