PDA

View Full Version : Gases and flame

Tom Mazanec
2017-Feb-11, 01:55 PM
Oxygen supports fire in our atmosphere.
Are there other gasses (halogens perhaps) which could also support fire?

Hornblower
2017-Feb-11, 01:59 PM

If I am not mistaken, a candle will burn in chlorine. Magnesium reacts with both oxygen and nitrogen when burning in air, but I do not know whether or not it can be ignited in pure nitrogen.

Noclevername
2017-Feb-11, 02:00 PM
I know that Chlorine burns Sodium if Oxygen doesn't get in the way first.

grant hutchison
2017-Feb-11, 02:14 PM
Nitrous oxide strongly supports combustion - it was a hazard back in the days when we used to mix combustible anaesthetic vapours with nitrous oxide gas. You can also burn stuff readily in ozone.

Grant Hutchison

cjameshuff
2017-Feb-11, 03:20 PM
Magnesium burns in carbon dioxide. Lithium has been suggested as a fuel for powering Venus rovers.

Similarly, some metals will burn with water. At high enough temperatures, carbon will react with water vapor, but the reaction is actually endothermic.

Ara Pacis
2017-Feb-11, 04:18 PM
Magnesium burns in carbon dioxide. Lithium has been suggested as a fuel for powering Venus rovers.

Similarly, some metals will burn with water. At high enough temperatures, carbon will react with water vapor, but the reaction is actually endothermic.

Use both in venus rovers, powered by burning lithium and cooled by burning carbon?

DaveC426913
2017-Feb-11, 04:34 PM
Use both in venus rovers, powered by burning lithium and cooled by burning carbon?
The heat is what is used to provide power.

If you sink all that heat into some other reaction, you're got a nice little machine that does exactly nothing.

cjameshuff
2017-Feb-11, 04:59 PM

Venus is a bit too cool for the water gas reaction, and almost entirely lacking in the water required.

Ara Pacis
2017-Feb-12, 08:41 PM
Venus is a bit too cool for the water gas reaction, and almost entirely lacking in the water required.

LOL, I know. But if you're willing to burn an expensive element like Lithium...

cjameshuff
2017-Feb-12, 09:18 PM
LOL, I know. But if you're willing to burn an expensive element like Lithium...

We do it all the time here on Earth...
Lithium's not that expensive, and probably cheaper than the mass penalty of any other alkali metal you might send.

Ara Pacis
2017-Feb-13, 04:12 AM
We do it all the time here on Earth...
Lithium's not that expensive, and probably cheaper than the mass penalty of any other alkali metal you might send.

Is that a serious proposal? I thought you were extemporizing.

cjameshuff
2017-Feb-13, 12:41 PM
Is that a serious proposal? I thought you were extemporizing.

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20160011272.pdf

CJSF
2017-Feb-13, 02:30 PM
Since both nitrous oxide and carbon dioxide contain oxygen, doesn't that not count, per the OP?

CJSF

Swift
2017-Feb-13, 03:02 PM
Video from the Royal Society of Chemistry of a hydrogen flame in chlorine (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtygiCwnEzw).

Looks like it is part of a whole series of videos from the Royal Society.

BigDon
2017-Feb-13, 06:21 PM
I thought all the halogens supported combustion in the right environmental circumstance?