PDA

View Full Version : Reaching High Speeds

Gorn
2017-Feb-11, 08:59 PM
Hello. Suppose I had an 'evacuated' tube that was circular..with a diameter about 5 feet across.

Now..what if I had a 'Frig' magnet..about 1 gram in weight..that was 'suspended' in the tube because it was being
held aloft by 'opposing' magnets as apart of the tube.

Now imagine that I got the 1 gram magnet travelling around inside the tube.

Question: ( I know it depends) How fast could I get this magnet to move inside the tube?

Thanks for any and all responses
Bye
G

WaxRubiks
2017-Feb-11, 10:33 PM
Not quite sure of the setup. What is propelling this magnet?

Strange
2017-Feb-11, 10:48 PM
How fast could I get this magnet to move inside the tube?

The speed you could achieve is, in principle, only limited by the energy you provide. In practice, constraining an object with increasing kinetic energy into a circular path will be problematic.

Jens
2017-Feb-12, 01:31 AM
What you are describing is actually done, though with much smaller magnets, i.e. Uranium nuclei. Where I work, we can accelerate them to about 70 percent of the speed of light. It could be increased, but the cyclotrons become bigger and more expensive. The LHC accelerates tiny magnets (protons) to very close to the speed of light.

publiusr
2017-Feb-17, 10:16 PM
This may be of interest:
http://www.hypacc.com/

New book on space exploration
https://www.amazon.com/Space-Exploration-Humanitys-Joe-Weichman/dp/1540392422/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8

DaveC426913
2017-Feb-18, 08:33 PM
Question: ( I know it depends) How fast could I get this magnet to move inside the tube?

The short answer is: In principle, you could get the object moving at arbitrarily close to the speed of light.

However, practical factors would drastically limit this, relating to how much energy would be required to accelerate it, and how strong the fields would have to be to support keeping it moving in a circle at those speeds (since it will want to go straight).

Aside from simply the energy involved in those two things, there will be a practical upper limit on how you will be able to apply energy to it to merely accelerate it. You'll be flipping magnets on and off at an unsustainable rate.