PDA

View Full Version : Yale's Calhoun College Renamed for Grace Murray Hopper.

swampyankee
2017-Feb-12, 03:13 PM
Yale has renamed Calhoun College for mathematician and programming pioneer Grace Murray Hopper, PhD, late Rear Admiral, USN

http://www.nhregister.com/general-news/20170211/yale-will-rename-calhoun-college-to-honor-trailblazing-alum-grace-murray-hopper

One hopes you all know who she was. For the non-USians, Calhoun (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_C._Calhoun)claimed slavery was a positive good for the enslaved and laid the philosophical ground work for secession.

KaiYeves
2017-Feb-12, 03:27 PM
For the non-USians, Calhoun (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_C._Calhoun)claimed slavery was a positive good for the enslaved and laid the philosophical ground work for secession.

And looked like a creepy vampire muppet.

swampyankee
2017-Feb-12, 03:30 PM

A grumpy, creepy, vampire muppet. In his defense, I don't think he was undead, nor did he literally suck anybody's blood (figuratively, absolutely, if they were black).

swampyankee
2017-Feb-12, 03:44 PM

A grumpy, creepy, vampire muppet. In his defense, I don't think he was undead, nor did he literally suck anybody's blood (figuratively, absolutely, if they were black).

Solfe
2017-Feb-12, 04:06 PM
Grace Murray Hopper looks kinda bad... ah... kid friendly words... She could beat you up, horribly while doing math in her head. She waited until 79 to retire, that is tough as nails.

swampyankee
2017-Feb-12, 04:31 PM
Oh, I don't think she'd need to beat you up. I think she struck fear into the hearts of men (not women, just men) because she was smart enough to use math to make them beat themselves up when they ticked her off.

You don't get to flag rank in the USN without being able to shred people without using violence.

DonM435
2017-Feb-12, 05:33 PM
She gave us the term "debug" after extracting a moth from some computer equipment.

Of course, the COBOL language spawned millions of "bugs," down through the decades. it was, however, quite useful.

swampyankee
2017-Feb-12, 05:50 PM
She gave us the term "debug" after extracting a moth from some computer equipment.

Of course, the COBOL language spawned millions of "bugs," down through the decades. it was, however, quite useful.

The bug-proof computer language will be written some time after the heat death of the Universe. It will, of course, be very buggy.

BigDon
2017-Feb-17, 06:33 PM
I once got a week off for pointing out the negative of somebody being venerated in the news.

Just saying.

grapes
2017-Feb-17, 07:13 PM
I saw where Geraldo Rivera quit his non-paid volunteer position at Yale because of the re-naming. At least that's what I thought the article said, I only read to the sub-heading.

I heard (and saw) uh, Captain, Hopper in the seventies. Well-deserved honor.

2017-Feb-18, 12:02 AM

She gets a lot of credit for that, and maybe helped popularized it, but:

Wiktionary: Bug :: Etymology (https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/bug#Etymology)

The term is used to refer to technical errors and problems at least as early as the 19th century, predating the commonly known story of a moth being caught in a computer.

Wikipedia: Debugging :: Origin (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debugging#Origin)

The Oxford English Dictionary entry for "debug" quotes the term "debugging" used in reference to airplane engine testing in a 1945 article in the Journal of the Royal Aeronautical Society.

swampyankee
2017-Feb-18, 03:01 PM
I saw where Geraldo Rivera quit his non-paid volunteer position at Yale because of the re-naming. At least that's what I thought the article said, I only read to the sub-heading.

He was overpaid if he was volunteering.

KaiYeves
2017-Feb-18, 05:11 PM
He was overpaid if he was volunteering.

Maybe he was paid in gangster loot?

Noclevername
2017-Feb-18, 10:50 PM
Maybe he was paid in gangster loot?

:rofl:

Buttercup
2017-Feb-18, 10:56 PM
Calhoun was unfortunately a product of his time...changing a place name doesn't change the historical record...but then I only have a cat anyway.

Noclevername
2017-Feb-19, 12:55 AM
...changing a place name doesn't change the historical record...

I don't recall anyone suggesting that it did.

Buttercup
2017-Feb-19, 12:59 AM
I don't recall anyone suggesting that it did.

I wasn't implying anyone had.

Just sayin'.

KaiYeves
2017-Feb-19, 02:32 AM
Calhoun was unfortunately a product of his time...changing a place name doesn't change the historical record...but then I only have a cat anyway.

It doesn't change what Calhoun did, but it demonstrates how our attitudes have changed enough for us to understand that those actions are not worthy of honoring and should not be a positive example for modern college students.

Noclevername
2017-Feb-19, 06:10 AM
And it got them free of Geraldo... Free Bonus!

profloater
2017-Feb-19, 11:33 AM
Last evening I saw the movie "hidden figures" I hope everyone who is interested in NASA history gets to see it. It's about the role and discrimination against, black women in the space race. Very enjoyable and inspiring movie.

swampyankee
2017-Feb-19, 12:54 PM

So were the Grimke sisters. He made choices; he was not an automaton.

Noclevername
2017-Feb-19, 01:20 PM
Calhoun was unfortunately a product of his time...

Yes, but Abolitionists were also products of the same time period. So when you were born is not really reason enough to excuse such actions.