PDA

View Full Version : Venus at Greatest Brilliance - February 16-17

Centaur
2017-Feb-14, 05:31 PM
Venus is expected to achieve its peak brightness for its current early evening apparition in the western sky at magnitude -4.6 around February 16-17. It will then dim rapidly as its crescent slims, and it descends to inferior conjunction between Earth and Sun in late March.

Inferior conjunction by right ascension will occur March 22-23. Venus will then be at a declination well north of the ecliptic. It may be possible for observers north of the tropics to see Venus as both a morning and evening star on the same date for several days.

For my Venus related graphs and charts, including one for the upcoming unusual inferior conjunction, please visit my Venus webpage: www.CurtRenz.com/venus.html

Photos and descriptions of Venus would be welcome additions to this thread.

Swift
2017-Feb-14, 08:38 PM
It was lovely last night (it seemed like the first clear evening we've had in a while). It is amazingly bright at the moment.

DaveC426913
2017-Feb-15, 09:44 PM
It's such a pity that it's uninteresting to view in a scope - it's featureless.

What I'd like to do instead, is to see if I can capture a Venus shadow.
I can see shadows cast by Venus with my naked eye, but my camera can't capture them.

Last month I tried, but the Moon was right there in the sky next to it, swamping any shadows.

Spacedude
2017-Feb-15, 10:19 PM
Speaking about Venus being at her Greatest Brilliance, she will also be the most brilliant planet in the sky during the upcoming August Total Solar Eclipse. According to an article/map I recently scanned Venus will out shine Jupiter, Mars, and Mercury in that order. The star Regulus is very close to the sun's rim too, but Venus, she will outshine them all. Barely 6 months to go!

DaveC426913
2017-Feb-16, 03:19 AM
Thinkin bout makin' a cross country trip to be in the path.

Glom
2017-Feb-16, 08:00 AM
It looked plenty bright last night.

DaveC426913
2017-Feb-20, 12:48 AM
Tried again tonight but no go.

The sky is too bright in the hour or so before Venus sets to get a sharp-edged shadow.

Torsten
2017-Feb-20, 03:58 AM
It's such a pity that it's uninteresting to view in a scope - it's featureless.

It's been awhile since I've observed it through a scope, but I do recall seeing it in phases being rather cool.

tony873004
2017-Feb-20, 05:38 AM
It's bright enough that my neighbors were asking "What is that!?"

George
2017-Feb-20, 06:40 PM
It was very noticeable and too bright to be anything but Venus. But, it had a tiny tint of yellow to it though it was still high in the sky. It was Venus wanting to be Saturn. I was puzzled until my wife said, "Hey do you smell the smoke?". There was a brush fire nearby, thankfully; I don't like color conundrums. :)