PDA

View Full Version : The next Dr Who to be......a woman?!

wd40
2017-Feb-16, 11:55 PM
"Doctor Who: Tilda Swinton is bookies' favourite to be next TV Time Lord"
http://news.sky.com/story/doctor-who-tilda-swinton-is-bookies-favourite-to-be-next-tv-time-lord-10770214

grant hutchison
2017-Feb-17, 01:17 AM
Why the bangs?
In the real world we've rather relaxed into the idea of woman doctors.

Grant Hutchison

NorthernDevo
2017-Feb-17, 02:11 AM
I bloody well hope so; Tilda is a great actress and would do a fantastic job. In regards to the gender, my only comment is it's about bloody time.

Ara Pacis
2017-Feb-17, 04:14 AM
Then we'd get to see her and Missy get messy, unless the Master goes back to being a dude. I bet they'd make a reference to her role in the Chronicles of Narnia in one of the Christmas episodes.

Glom
2017-Feb-17, 12:48 PM
Given that new timelords are respawnings, this would be more than just having a woman doctor, but also making the doctor transgender.

Does the doctor have demonstrated sexuality? I don't watch the show. If so, and presuming all romantic entanglements have been with women, I would think Tilda Swinton's doctor would need to be a lesbian.

WaxRubiks
2017-Feb-17, 01:21 PM
Or bisexual.

Solfe
2017-Feb-17, 02:05 PM
I like Tilda in everything she does. I'd be ok with that one. She already did a pretty good Gabriel*, gender isn't going to be the issue.

*The film was Constantine, it wasn't wonderful by any means. Swinton might be the only good reason to watch it. That and the special effects were cool.

wd40
2017-Feb-17, 02:08 PM
Or bisexual.

In which case she would get on well with "Deep Space 9"s Jazdia Dax (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jadzia_Dax) character!

swampyankee
2017-Feb-17, 02:43 PM
If the Doctor, who is very much non-human, has a sexual attraction to humans, there is some real psych issues going on. This isn't a gender issue; for the Doctor to have a sexual attraction to humans is like a human having a sexual attraction to a toaster.

grant hutchison
2017-Feb-17, 02:54 PM
Swinton switched gender, in a fairly memorable way, in the middle of the film Orlando (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107756/).

Grant Hutchison

WaxRubiks
2017-Feb-17, 02:59 PM
If the Doctor, who is very much non-human, has a sexual attraction to humans, there is some real psych issues going on. This isn't a gender issue; for the Doctor to have a sexual attraction to humans is like a human having a sexual attraction to a toaster.

Don't the timelords have genders? Male and female? How do they reproduce? What about Superman and Loise Lane(sp)?

Gillianren
2017-Feb-17, 05:04 PM
Swinton switched gender, in a fairly memorable way, in the middle of the film Orlando (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107756/).

Excellent film. Quentin Crisp played Elizabeth I, because why not?

Don't the timelords have genders? Male and female? How do they reproduce? What about Superman and Loise Lane(sp)?

Lois. With Clark, I always figured, you know, he was raised among humans. If there are any physical differences visible between him and humans, we don't know about them. He knows he's Kryptonian, but he probably feels human much of the time, not having any Kryptonians to compare himself to for most of his life. It only makes sense for him to have sexual attractions to humans. I don't care for Doctor Who, but I'm pretty sure the Doctor is not exactly in Clark's position.

grant hutchison
2017-Feb-17, 05:08 PM
Don't the timelords have genders? Male and female? How do they reproduce? What about Superman and Loise Lane(sp)?See Larry Niven's "Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex (http://www.rawbw.com/~svw/superman.html)" for some reflections about the reproductive potential of Superman and Lois.

Grant Hutchison

swampyankee
2017-Feb-17, 05:21 PM

I'm likely more generically similar to a hydroid than Superman is to Lois Lane; his sexual interest would be because he'd been imprinted to humans. As to the reproductive behaviors of Time Lords? Who knows? Do they even continue to use biological methods?

WaxRubiks
2017-Feb-17, 05:22 PM
Well if the timelords look like humans then I don't think it is far fetched for him/her to be attracted to humans.

danscope
2017-Feb-17, 07:28 PM
Well, I hope she has a bag of jelly babies , and a local gravity detector, and surely .... a scarf ! :)

swampyankee
2017-Feb-17, 08:52 PM
The Time Lords and the TARDIS can do all sorts of bizarre things to human (and non-human) perceptions, such as perfect translation, so who's to say what the Time Lords really look like? They may be less human than the squiddy things that inhabit the Dalek shells.

SkepticJ
2017-Feb-17, 09:27 PM

You've never watched Star Trek, have you? This was common fifty years ago. Actually, it dates back at least to Burrows, fifty years before that. Also, no, that's a flawed analogy--toasters don't look like people.

swampyankee
2017-Feb-17, 10:26 PM
You've never watched Star Trek, have you? This was common fifty years ago. Actually, it dates back at least to Burrows, fifty years before that. Also, no, that's a flawed analogy--toasters don't look like people.

Yes, I've watched Star Trek. Fiction can, of course, make up its own rules of biology. Doctor Who plays fast and loose with a lot of science, enough so that Time Lord-human sex is pretty low on the list.

KaiYeves
2017-Feb-17, 11:58 PM
Given that new timelords are respawnings, this would be more than just having a woman doctor, but also making the doctor transgendered.

Just "transgender", I think.

grant hutchison
2017-Feb-18, 01:27 AM
Just "transgender", I think.Yes. Transgender people feel that "transgendered" implies some sort of completed verb action - a thing done to them at some point in time - whereas "transgender" implies a state of being.
The analogy with how we say "gay" and not "gayed" is a good one, I think.

(ETA: I'm sure a lot of people who use the word "transgendered" actually understand it as expressing a state of being, by analogy with "gendered". Unfortunately, the association with a verb participle, and its implied judgement about the transgender state, means that the word is likely to be very poorly received.)

Grant Hutchison

Trebuchet
2017-Feb-18, 03:16 AM
The Doctor certainly seems to have had "marital relations" with River Song and Queen Elizabeth I. He mentioned you can't call the latter "The Virgin Queen" any more. And of course, the first Doctor had a granddaughter.

Noclevername
2017-Feb-18, 04:35 AM
The Doctor certainly seems to have had "marital relations" with River Song and Queen Elizabeth I. He mentioned you can't call the latter "The Virgin Queen" any more. And of course, the first Doctor had a granddaughter.

Not cloned.

Noclevername
2017-Feb-18, 04:37 AM
They've shown the Doctor as a child and mentioned his baby crib, so we know Time Lords have childhoods.

Ara Pacis
2017-Feb-18, 06:15 AM
Given that new timelords are respawnings, this would be more than just having a woman doctor, but also making the doctor transgendered.

The Doctor was recently granted a new round of regenerations beyond what he been considered the limit of 12. It was via some weird glowing stream of particles or energy that flowed out of a fracture in space and time. We don't know how regeneration works, although we know The Master, his nemesis and historically male, is currently a female. We don't know if this new regeneration energy can make him change to a woman in shape only or if he can have children. (I'm not sure if we know Time Lord Genetics enough to know how they are male and female or other genders and sexes)

Does the doctor have demonstrated sexuality? I don't watch the show. If so, and presuming all romantic entanglements have been with women, I would think Tilda Swinton's doctor would need to be a lesbian.

Captain Jack Harkness, a bisexual male character, flirted with the Doctor a bit, and I don't know if we can know for sure that nothing ever happened. We do know he had a granddaughter, and there's no reason to suspect it was something other than how we think these things happen.

ozduck
2017-Feb-18, 09:24 AM
Apart from the Dr having a granddaughter (from the very first episodes after all) there was also Leela, not from Earth but of human descent. Who, to exit the show, fell in love with a native Gallifreyan and remained behind on Gallifrey with him. I therefore assume that "hanky-panky" between Gallifreyan's and humans is possible and normal:).

swampyankee
2017-Feb-18, 02:02 PM
Choosing Tilda Swinton could, and probably would, result in a Twitter™-storm of idiocy on the order of Sue Perkins' rumored replacement of Clarkson.

Back to the Doctor's sex life (I don't have a life). Biology tends to be one of the things SF -- even "hard" sf -- does badly. Doctor Who is very far from "hard," and the Doctor/Companion flirtation is good for ratings.

Solfe
2017-Feb-18, 02:08 PM
Choosing Tilda Swinton could, and probably would, result in a Twitter™-storm of idiocy on the order of Sue Perkins' rumored replacement of Clarkson.

I don't use Twitter, so I am ok with other people having their opinion there. :)

swampyankee
2017-Feb-18, 02:25 PM
I don't use Twitter, so I am ok with other people having their opinion there. :)

Some of those opinions included death threats. Opinions are fine; death threats aren't opinion or, in the US, protected speech.

And I don't do Twitter, either. Too many high-profile morons.

wd40
2017-Feb-18, 04:50 PM
One of the more unsettling Star Trek episodes was the last one of the original series,"Turnabout Intruder" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turnabout_Intruder) when Captain Kirk was taken over by a woman's soul & became feminized. It showed that Shatner really could act - at least I hope it was an act!

swampyankee
2017-Feb-19, 02:02 AM
One of the more unsettling Star Trek episodes was the last one of the original series,"Turnabout Intruder" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turnabout_Intruder) when Captain Kirk was taken over by a woman's soul & became feminized. It showed that Shatner really could act - at least I hope it was an act!

Well, even its most ardent fans* would not mistake Star Trek for The Crucible and Capt Kirk for John Hale.

* I actually love Star Trek, but more for its SF nature than for its brilliant acting.

Glom
2017-Feb-19, 12:59 PM
Check out sfdebris's review of that episode. There is some debate over Shatner's work in that episode, not to mention Gene Roddenberry's.

Noclevername
2017-Feb-19, 01:14 PM

Shatner can act: Over, and Badly.

DukePaul
2017-Feb-21, 02:09 PM
What difference does it make who plays Who, for when humankind moves into the reaches of space, radiation and variable gravity is going to screw up our DNA and our "normal" appearance.

Solfe
2017-Feb-21, 03:37 PM
Shatner can act: Over, and Badly.

LOL!

He used to have a wine tasting show that I liked.

Ara Pacis
2017-Feb-21, 04:41 PM
What difference does it make who plays Who, for when humankind moves into the reaches of space, radiation and variable gravity is going to screw up our DNA and our "normal" appearance.

Sure, if they under spec the radiation shielding and farm it out to the lowest bidder. But then they might not develop enough mutations to become green hulks or spider-people. IIRC, a Time Lord is not a distinct species but what happens when you take that species and expose them to the radiation of the Time Vortex. It has a similar effect on other species too, hence River Song.

Noclevername
2017-Feb-21, 07:36 PM

More significant would be tinkering with our own genes. We will probably alter ourselves far more drastically than the random effects of mutation and adaptation which would mainly produce death, infertility, or medical problems rather than changes in appearance.

ozduck
2017-Jul-15, 04:43 AM
All will be revealed shortly. The BBC is to announce the new actor to play Dr Who after Wimbledon "Meet the 13th Doctor after the Wimbledon men's final, Sunday 16th July." http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-40608669

I had initially been leaning towards accepting the Kris Marshall rumour. But now I think that a female Dr is more likely - no particular reason but just a "it's time" vibe.

The Backroad Astronomer
2017-Jul-15, 05:20 AM
It will be a one eyed purple people eater.

ozduck
2017-Jul-15, 05:37 AM
It will be a one eyed purple people eater.

Correction - a "One-eyed, one-horned, flyin' purple people eater" to be exact.

R.A.F.
2017-Jul-15, 02:25 PM

Don't forget he's under-growed...whatever that means.

swampyankee
2017-Jul-15, 03:08 PM
Maybe the Man from Mars? Although he does eat cars (https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/blondie/rapture.html&ved=0ahUKEwjOwMvMx4vVAhWDNiYKHTyyCyoQFghLMAw&usg=AFQjCNFGgPrVszdgDGaS55tVkZn5-oETpw) and guitars...can I post a link to a video?.. google Rapture and Blondie.

CJSF
2017-Jul-15, 03:43 PM
Didn't they explain (well, we got an exposition from Capaldi) how the Doctor "chooses" his face? If so, I'd love to see Michelle Gomez ("Missy"). My wife thinks that might confuse "non" or new Whovians.

CJSF

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

CJSF
2017-Jul-15, 03:45 PM
I'm more annoyed that Bill Potts is gone. While it took me a bit to warm up to Clara, I loved Bill from minute one.

CJSF

R.A.F.
2017-Jul-15, 09:08 PM
Why can't Hayley Atwell be the new Doctor?

I could look at her all day long...and she's got the right sounding accent.

swampyankee
2017-Jul-15, 09:53 PM
I'm more annoyed that Bill Potts is gone. While it took me a bit to warm up to Clara, I loved Bill from minute one.

CJSF

I never really warmed to Clara. Bill, on the other hand, I loved from Day 1.

I also liked Donna Noble, mostly as she played well off David Tennant.

Noisy Rhysling
2017-Jul-15, 10:46 PM

♫One-eyed, one-horned, flyin' purple people eater♫ to be more exact.

ozduck
2017-Jul-16, 02:19 AM
♫One-eyed, one-horned, flyin' purple people eater♫ to be more exact.

Exactly Exact

CJSF
2017-Jul-16, 03:02 AM
While it was sad to see Rose walled off "forever" (not) in another dimension, I thought it was way worse to see Donna Noble have all that personal growth eliminated in order to save her.

I have a feeling that if they choose a woman, it will be someone well known in the UK, but whom I will recognize the face but not know too well. Just a hunch.

CJSF

Noisy Rhysling
2017-Jul-16, 03:55 AM
If it's Gal Gadot I might actually start watching.

ozduck
2017-Jul-16, 04:11 PM
And the 13th Doctor is a woman. Jodie Whittaker - who co-starred with David Tennant, the 10th Doctor, in Broadchurch.

The Backroad Astronomer
2017-Jul-16, 04:11 PM
It is a woman I have never heard of her before but if you watched broadchurch you have,
https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/16/15973556/jodie-whittaker-bbc-doctor-who-thirteenth-series-eleven-2018-tardis.

Trebuchet
2017-Jul-16, 04:54 PM
And the 13th Doctor is a woman. Jodie Whittaker - who co-starred with David Tennant, the 10th Doctor, in Broadchurch.

It is a woman I have never heard of her before but if you watched broadchurch you have,
https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/16/15973556/jodie-whittaker-bbc-doctor-who-thirteenth-series-eleven-2018-tardis.

Her name wasn't familiar to me, but since we're now watching the third series of Broadchurch, she is. It appears they've changed her hair color for DW, but unfortunately, still not ginger. Certainly lots of DW/Broadchurch casting crossovers, here's another.

grant hutchison
2017-Jul-16, 05:10 PM
Ah, the actor who single-handedly stopped me watching Broadchurch. I'm not a great fan of misery as entertainment, and she portrayed misery very well indeed. Unwatchably good acting, as far as I'm concerned.

Grant Hutchison

Buttercup
2017-Jul-16, 06:47 PM
Yeah, just now saw that (Whittaker). But I've never been a "Dr. Who" fan so... {shrugs}

Won't get interested just because a woman's taking on the role either.

Whovian?? :hand:

That's another reason for me. :p

Jim
2017-Jul-16, 07:44 PM
I saw the announcement and checked her IMDB page. It already showed a credit (third down) for the Doctor Who Christmas episode. They're either very fast or had inside information.

(The episode IMDB page lists three cast members, all playing The Doctor.)

swampyankee
2017-Jul-16, 09:02 PM

And we can already watch the ranting of the trolls on social media. This gives me yet another reason to watch Doctor Who: annoying zealots for social injustice.

Buttercup
2017-Jul-16, 09:05 PM
And we can already watch the ranting of the trolls on social media. This gives me yet another reason to watch Doctor Who: annoying zealots for social injustice.

But sometimes I do think, "Why not create NEW characters/shows" instead of recasting? I do have mixed thoughts on this. Is originality dead?

swampyankee
2017-Jul-16, 09:50 PM
But sometimes I do think, "Why not create NEW characters/shows" instead of recasting? I do have mixed thoughts on this. Is originality dead?

Recasting the Doctor is a key part of its schtick.

Solfe
2017-Jul-16, 10:50 PM
When Peter Capaldi took over, I thought it was going to be amazing. And then I thought "How will that work?". It turns out I was right, it was a good change but a lousy direction to go in. Theoretically, Capaldi did some excellent stories that would have been impossible without him, but I really didn't like the whole feeling those stories added up to. Valued but something was off.

The Doctor, all of people who make him, ultimately have to be the same person with a different take on life. That takes a rare actor, because they have to fit with the past while making the present good. Capaldi was a huge stretch, but one that made this iteration possible.

There is an excellent chance I that I will start off hating the new Doctor and will want Capaldi back. That is simply how I work. I intensely hated Two so I was really happy when Jon Pertwee took over. Three to five were excellent Doctors, I almost felt bad when I enjoyed the next doctor just as much. 11 worked the same way for me. I liked him from the get go. All of the other Doctors I started off disliking and grew to like them. 6, 9 and 10 especially. I really hated David Tennant when he first took over, but now he is one of my favorites.

I am afraid that Capaldi hasn't left enough of an impression on for me to really be impressed by the next Doctor. Four changes were amazing people turning into even better versions of the Doctor. I have this feeling that the change will be a downer or have little investment in character and the new Doctor will really be working hard to overcome this vacuum.

Buttercup
2017-Jul-16, 10:56 PM
I **might** become a fan if Hayden Christensen is the next Dr. Who. :D

schlaugh
2017-Jul-16, 11:12 PM

I don't mean for this to sound snarky but...is he still acting?? Last movie I could find in which he appeared was some glurge about death.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Buttercup
2017-Jul-16, 11:22 PM
I don't mean for this to sound snarky but...is he still acting?? Last movie I could find in which he appeared was some glurge about death.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Doesn't matter. He's gorgeous. He simply has to exist. :)

grant hutchison
2017-Jul-17, 12:19 AM
I don't mean for this to sound snarky but...is he still acting?? Last movie I could find in which he appeared was some glurge about death.Still working. According to IMDb, he has a movie in post-production and is filming another.

I know.
Amazing.

Grant Hutchison

ciderman
2017-Jul-17, 12:39 AM
And lo it has happened!

Looking forward to a new Doctor with the usual feelings of hopeful anticipation and trepidation, but now with a new perspective.

Wonder what the Tardis interior is going to be like, hmm..

The Backroad Astronomer
2017-Jul-17, 12:44 AM
It could be worse it could be Shia Lebeouf.

ozduck
2017-Jul-17, 01:41 AM
I, for one, welcome our new female President of the World. She will be the 11th Dr I have watched in their original run - obviously John Hurt's Dr never had one. I probably saw the 1st as well but can't remember.

It is always fun waiting to see what peculiarity of character and costume the new Dr will possess. I doubt that it will be a love of Bow Ties or a Fez. Or a waspish personality like Colin Bakers one.

Solfe
2017-Jul-17, 03:25 AM
Doesn't matter. He's gorgeous. He simply has to exist. :)

I have a friend who's boyfriend is a dead ringer Hayden Christensen. The relationship didn't last, he was nice to look at but brain dead. That held the relationship together for far longer than it should have lasted. He was almost exactly like Cort from iCarly (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhyoMkfZSFg). He was dangerously dumb. One time she called me to fix her computer router and when I showed up, he hid in her bedroom because he thought I was her dad. Age difference is about right, but I had just had lunch and a class with them at school a few hours before. Just like we did every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Doh!

Buttercup
2017-Jul-17, 05:28 AM
I have a friend who's boyfriend is a dead ringer Hayden Christensen. The relationship didn't last, he was nice to look at but brain dead. That held the relationship together for far longer than it should have lasted. He was almost exactly like Cort from iCarly (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhyoMkfZSFg). He was dangerously dumb. One time she called me to fix her computer router and when I showed up, he hid in her bedroom because he thought I was her dad. Age difference is about right, but I had just had lunch and a class with them at school a few hours before. Just like we did every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Doh!

Gee whiz! :lol:

The Backroad Astronomer
2017-Jul-17, 09:51 AM
I think I will probably be unfriended on facebook this mornig because I fed a troll on a friends post.
The person was just being sarcastic.

parallaxicality
2017-Jul-17, 11:00 AM
OK; I have some thoughts about this, but my thoughts have yet to be fully unpacked, so a little Socratic midwifery might be necessary.

First off, this was the right way to go. Not for any reasons of progress or social justice, though those are perfectly fine, but because the variations on the theme of "British white dude" have been pretty much exhausted by now, particularly by the new Who. Giving the Doctor an alternative perspective was a good way to extend the viability of the show.

Once again however, it seems that the surest road to Doctorhood in the new series is to be a pal of the showrunner. Which is a shame.

Also, I'm mildly disappointed (though not surprised) that they went with pretty. This recent trend of making the Doctor pretty may have extended his fandom but it certainly moved him away from his quirky, otherworldly beginnings. To be fair, it's a lot easier to be a quirky, unconventional-looking character actor and a man than it is to be those things and a woman (sorry, my dear Emily Watson). It seems from the teaser that they're going for a Cate Blanchett/Galadriel "otherworldly elf queen" theme, but the Doctor isn't Galadriel; he's Puck.

One thing to note is the expression on her face; she's acting like she's never seen the TARDIS before, which on the one hand is a bit odd, but it could be what they are going for- she hasn't seen the TARDIS before, at least not with those eyes.

swampyankee
2017-Jul-17, 11:14 AM
Ah, the actor who single-handedly stopped me watching Broadchurch. I'm not a great fan of misery as entertainment, and she portrayed misery very well indeed. Unwatchably good acting, as far as I'm concerned.

Grant Hutchison

I watched the first series of Broadchurch but the second didn't appeal.

Solfe
2017-Jul-17, 11:57 AM
One thing to note is the expression on her face; she's acting like she's never seen the TARDIS before, which on the one hand is a bit odd, but it could be what they are going for- she hasn't seen the TARDIS before, at least not with those eyes.

She made the key appear out of thin air, then the TARDIS. And it didn't go "Doot-doot!" like it did for Ten. I would say she was wearing a dignified look of satisfaction.

Gillianren
2017-Jul-17, 03:18 PM

"Still" acting implied he ever acted in the first place.

I have friends who are very happy about this; I think she's one of the two people we discussed as possibilities Saturday night, in fact, though not the one we were watching clips of. (That was a black guy, though not Perpetual Candidate Idris Elba.) I've also already seen the inevitable sexist "satire," including an article claiming production is delayed because the actress can't park the TARDIS.

SkepticJ
2017-Jul-17, 04:15 PM
I'd have liked to see Helen Mirren in the role.

swampyankee
2017-Jul-18, 12:25 AM

I'd like to see Helen Mirren in any role.

The two things I have to say to those who hate the idea of the Doctor being a woman, and equate it with Armageddon

(staying within the realm of sf logic) The Doctor is an alien. They may well be nothing but a humanoid biological construct created by the TARDIS. The regenerations were male because humans were too sexist for a female-appearing Doctor to be effective.
(moving into the wider, it's a show, folks realm) The Doctor is a character in a TV show which is expected to generate revenue for the BBC. They have determined that losing the eyes of the few misogynistic twits zealots for social injustice casual fans will be more than overcome other people watching because of the hype.

The writing on Doctor Who has been spotty, but this is not unique to Capaldi's tenure, and has nothing to do with who's carrying the Sonic Screwdriver. Pretty consistently, I've found at least one episode in each season to be unworthy of the time it takes to watch it.

I'm just very happy the didn't bring Matt Smith back.

Solfe
2017-Jul-18, 03:50 AM
I'm just very happy the didn't bring Matt Smith back.

Matt Smith is calling! Just kidding, they used up that trick already. :)

I don't see why this is such a big deal. Exactly how many times did the Doctor jet off leaving his companions in the lurch so that they effectively had to be him? Sure the Doctor is THE main character, but many times the point is that anyone could be him or at least stand for him.

An even more interesting take is that he, the Doctor, pulled a page from Romana's book and tried to copy someone he looked up to or admired. Botched it of course because he's the Doctor, but landed as a woman. Exactly how many other choices did he have when it came to role models? And how many of those were men? Not many at all. Time for something new.

Doctor Who is like the opposite of Star Wars. You have dozens of great female characters and a just an handful of ok male characters.

The Backroad Astronomer
2017-Jul-18, 05:49 AM
Well if you know people who are having problems with the change maybe they can seek out this helpline.
https://youtu.be/PMSIe6WfXYE

AGN Fuel
2017-Jul-19, 03:45 AM
I watched the first series of Broadchurch but the second didn't appeal.

Watch the third series. It gets the franchise back on track.

AGN Fuel
2017-Jul-19, 03:49 AM
Personally, and as a Dr Who fan from the Patrick Troughton days (and every incarnation since - all hail Tom Baker!), I think this is an excellent choice of an outstanding actress. I am very much looking forward to seeing what she can bring to the role.

Chuck
2017-Jul-19, 04:20 AM
Isn't "Timelord" now sexist? Shouldn't it be "Timelady"?

Eclogite
2017-Jul-19, 05:35 AM
It seems the originators of the series back in the 60s intended this all along. The clue is right there in the TARDIS: Taking A Radical Departure in Sexuality!

jevil88
2017-Jul-19, 10:12 AM
really happy with this choice! hope that it'll be a game changer. I was thoroughly disappointed with the last episodes of the previous season, so do look forward to the new Doctor

Noisy Rhysling
2017-Jul-19, 02:15 PM

Dr. Who with a hard R rating. Now that I would watch.

Solfe
2017-Jul-19, 05:08 PM
Hi, I created a new thread What is in a Uniform or Title (https://forum.cosmoquest.org/showthread.php?165975-What-is-in-a-Uniform-or-Title-(Workplace-chat)) in Off Topic Babbling. My derail can go over there. Sorry... sorry. I dragged us down a non-Doctor Who thread.

Please carry on with actual Dr. Who and Jodie Whittaker news and thoughts.

Swift
2017-Jul-19, 05:35 PM
Hi, I created a new thread What is in a Uniform or Title (https://forum.cosmoquest.org/showthread.php?165975-What-is-in-a-Uniform-or-Title-(Workplace-chat)) in Off Topic Babbling. My derail can go over there. Sorry... sorry. I dragged us down a non-Doctor Who thread.

Please carry on with actual Dr. Who and Jodie Whittaker news and thoughts.
I have moved those posts to the new thread

SeanF
2017-Jul-20, 09:16 PM
Since I started watching the show (Capaldi's first episode), the Master has regenerated from a man to a woman, the General on Gallifrey regenerated from a man to a woman, and now the Doctor is regenerating from a man to a woman.

Never happened before in the series (AFAIK), but apparently it's the only way it happens now.

publiusr
2017-Jul-21, 09:05 PM
In which case she would get on well with "Deep Space 9"s Jazdia Dax (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jadzia_Dax) character!

A companion might refer to the Doctor as Tiresias, instead of "old man"

Lots of good story ideas.

The Sisterhood of Karn still rejects her as too male--Jeffrry Tambor jealous of the ease of transition ;)

Tilda might be on as a guest villain maybe--see comes off even cooler.Tilda has a companion as well--a drunk.

A really good episode name for this?

"Some Velvet Morning"

But with a change or two...

Some velvet morning when I'm straight
I'm gonna batter down that gate
And maybe tell you 'bout Yidhra
And how she gave me life
And how she made it end
Some velvet morning when I'm straight...

ToSeek
2017-Jul-27, 03:24 PM
I saw the announcement and checked her IMDB page. It already showed a credit (third down) for the Doctor Who Christmas episode. They're either very fast or had inside information.

(The episode IMDB page lists three cast members, all playing The Doctor.)

Apparently the Christmas episode has David Bradley playing the original Doctor*, Peter Capaldi playing the 12th Doctor, and Whittaker playing the 13th.

*For those of you who don't know, the original Doctor was played by William Hartnell, who died in 1975. Bradley played Hartnell in a 50th anniversary docudrama about the origins of the series, "An Adventure in Space and Time", and was very well-received in the role.

ToSeek
2017-Jul-27, 03:28 PM
Also, I'm mildly disappointed (though not surprised) that they went with pretty. This recent trend of making the Doctor pretty may have extended his fandom but it certainly moved him away from his quirky, otherworldly beginnings. To be fair, it's a lot easier to be a quirky, unconventional-looking character actor and a man than it is to be those things and a woman (sorry, my dear Emily Watson). It seems from the teaser that they're going for a Cate Blanchett/Galadriel "otherworldly elf queen" theme, but the Doctor isn't Galadriel; he's Puck.

That was my thought, too: I'm less bugged by her being a woman than by her being young and attractive. If they did cast a woman, I figured she would be a more seasoned actress. But I'm willing to give it a try.

ToSeek
2017-Jul-27, 03:29 PM
Dr. Who with a hard R rating. Now that I would watch.

Some people were expecting that with Peter Capaldi given one of his previous roles (Malcolm Tucker). I can't quote any of his best lines because I'd have to ban myself.

Trebuchet
2017-Jul-27, 06:21 PM
Apparently the Christmas episode has David Bradley playing the original Doctor*, Peter Capaldi playing the 12th Doctor, and Whittaker playing the 13th.

*For those of you who don't know, the original Doctor was played by William Hartnell, who died in 1975. Bradley played Hartnell in a 50th anniversary docudrama about the origins of the series, "An Adventure in Space and Time", and was very well-received in the role.

Bradley also appeared with Whittaker (and David Tennant) in the first season of Broadchurch.

My vote for a female who would have been Neve Mcintosh, who plays Madam Vastra. It's not like Who fans are familiar with her face when she's not a lizard.

pumpkinpie
2017-Jul-27, 07:58 PM

In my opinion the trend of making the doctor "pretty" is only at 2, and some may even disagree with that. I did not find 9,10,or 11 attractive at all. Not in a sense that their looks distracted from the performance; they all had a sense of character, just not traditional good looks to me. I wouldn't look at them twice if I saw them on the street. I am fond of 12's looks, but I don't know how well they are received in the general population.

Thinking back all the way to #1, I don't think I would consider any of them good-looking. Perhaps the closest is #5. The only character that's made me look twice is Captain Jack Harkness (John Barrowman). But I was a fan of his long before Doctor Who.

Trebuchet
2017-Jul-27, 11:54 PM
I'm just sorry they didn't make her ginger.

Solfe
2017-Jul-28, 12:52 AM
In my opinion the trend of making the doctor "pretty" is only at 2, and some may even disagree with that. I did not find 9,10,or 11 attractive at all. Not in a sense that their looks distracted from the performance; they all had a sense of character, just not traditional good looks to me. I wouldn't look at them twice if I saw them on the street. I am fond of 12's looks, but I don't know how well they are received in the general population.

Thinking back all the way to #1, I don't think I would consider any of them good-looking. Perhaps the closest is #5. The only character that's made me look twice is Captain Jack Harkness (John Barrowman). But I was a fan of his long before Doctor Who.

I thought five was good looking. The same for 9 and 11. Jodie Whittaker seems Hollywood average good looks to me, like 10. Distinctive and memorable, but never odd or quirky.

I've only seen the promo material and the context is absent. It seems like she's wearing the last doctor's clothes, but she seems like she is more put together than most Doctors after a regeneration. Wouldn't that be funny: "This time, its all right."

swampyankee
2017-Jul-28, 10:51 AM

Ginger would have been good, but hair dye, make-up, and cosmetic contacts would provide a good simulacrum.

parallaxicality
2017-Jul-28, 10:58 AM

This whole ginger issue. Can't we just wait for a black actor before we start worrying about that?

swampyankee
2017-Jul-28, 11:52 AM
Being cismale, I don't spend anything like as much time worrying about the male lead's appearance as that of the female leads. ;)

SeanF
2017-Jul-28, 01:12 PM
I've only seen the promo material and the context is absent. It seems like she's wearing the last doctor's clothes, but she seems like she is more put together than most Doctors after a regeneration. Wouldn't that be funny: "This time, its all right."
It occurred to me that the Doctor's attempt to stop his regeneration, with comments about not wanting to change anymore, was kind of a set-up for the female Who - this time, the change is going to be meaningful.

Gillianren
2017-Jul-28, 03:45 PM
Being cismale, I don't spend anything like as much time worrying about the male lead's appearance as that of the female leads. ;)

Hetero is surely the issue here?

Honestly, I don't think she's that pretty. Not unattractive, but we're not exactly talking Audrey Hepburn, here. And I admit I think of her as young, because she's younger than I am, but she was born in 1982. That makes her thirty-five, the same as Matt Smith is now.

swampyankee
2017-Jul-28, 04:46 PM

Honestly, I don't think she's that pretty. Not unattractive, but we're not exactly talking Audrey Hepburn, here. And I admit I think of her as young, because she's younger than I am, but she was born in 1982. That makes her thirty-five, the same as Matt Smith is now.

Surprisingly, I don't spend my cismale time generating lists of relative attractiveness of the Doctor's female companions, let alone the actors playing the Doctor. Of cours, Ms Whittaker, being female, is, to me, more attractive than the male actors ;)

Overall, though, the interaction between the Doctor and their companion(s) is much more important to me than what they look like. I think the interaction between Catherine Tate and David Tennant was the best in the modern series (I don't access to the original series). I don't think the Peter Capaldi/Jenna Coleman chemistry ever worked.

publiusr
2017-Jul-28, 07:52 PM
It occurred to me that the Doctor's attempt to stop his regeneration, with comments about not wanting to change anymore, was kind of a set-up for the female Who - this time, the change is going to be meaningful.

That's a good point.

ToSeek
2017-Aug-15, 08:41 PM

I know sizeable contingents of female Doctor Who fans who find Peter Davison (#5), Paul McGann (#8), and David Tennant (#10) quite dishy. Heck, the main fan club for #8 called itself the Paul McGann Estrogen Brigade.

ToSeek
2017-Aug-15, 08:54 PM

I wouldn't call her stunning, but I would definitely say she's attractive. As for age, she'll be the fourth-youngest to take the role, behind Matt Smith, Peter Davison, and David Tennant (in that order) and just a little ahead of Paul McGann.

ToSeek
2017-Aug-15, 08:55 PM
Bradley also appeared with Whittaker (and David Tennant) in the first season of Broadchurch.

My vote for a female who would have been Neve Mcintosh, who plays Madam Vastra. It's not like Who fans are familiar with her face when she's not a lizard.

I've met her. She certainly could have pulled it off.

Trebuchet
2017-Aug-15, 09:17 PM
I've met her. She certainly could have pulled it off.
You've just turned me Silurian green with envy!
Mcntosh also played the sort-of love interest in the two Doc Martin prequel movies, thus making it to my surprisingly long list of actors who've appeared in both shows.

Solfe
2017-Aug-15, 11:57 PM
This whole ginger issue. Can't we just wait for a black actor before we start worrying about that?

The Doctor is an alien. I am sure it wouldn't be hard to do both at the same time. :)

grant hutchison
2017-Aug-16, 12:31 AM
This whole ginger issue. Can't we just wait for a black actor before we start worrying about that?But in the meantime, maybe just stop using that word "ginger"? I'm flinching each time I see it.
It's increasingly understood as a term of abuse in the UK - not everyone objects to it, but a lot of people do.

Grant Hutchison

The Backroad Astronomer
2017-Aug-16, 05:15 PM
A Canada dry plant would be torture for some.

ToSeek
2017-Aug-18, 08:08 PM
Someone's take (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0la0OVPU_4) on the regeneration scene. Warning to Grant: the g-word is used.

grant hutchison
2017-Aug-19, 01:26 AM
Someone's take (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0la0OVPU_4) on the regeneration scene. Warning to Grant: the g-word is used.Don't worry about me. My ginger days are behind me. But it's just not that funny in the UK (http://www.newstatesman.com/nelson-jones/2013/01/should-ginger-bashing-be-considered-hate-crime).

Grant Hutchison

The Backroad Astronomer
2017-Aug-19, 02:04 AM
Now I feel like a cranberry and ginger ale.