PDA

View Full Version : Moon Occults Aldebaran - Evening March 4

Centaur
2017-Feb-25, 05:11 PM
The nearly Half Moon will occult (cover) the magnitude +0.9 star Aldebaran for North American observers during the evening of Saturday 2017 MAR 04. As with solar eclipses, occultations are limited to specific zones on Earth.

Aldebaran is one of four first magnitude stars that can be occulted. The current series of 49 Aldebaran occultations commenced on 2015 JAN 29 and will conclude on 2018 SEP 02. The following series will commence on 2033 AUG 18.

Immersion this time will occur on the lunar dark limb and emersion on the bright limb. An observer on a graze path will witness the star winking on and off as lunar hills and valleys pass by. Anyone between the graze paths will see a full occultation.

Iíve created a North American graze map, a preview graphic with data for Chicago, and a set of Besselian elements for input to a computer program. They can be seen by visiting my Occultations webpage at www.CurtRenz.com/occultations.html

Photos and descriptions of the occultation would be welcome additions to this thread. If you would like a specific occultation or graze prediction for your location, please reply to this post with your longitude, latitude, elevation and time zone.

Buttercup
2017-Feb-25, 05:52 PM
...probably will occur at 1:43 a.m. my time... :rolleyes:

Kennewick Man
2017-Feb-25, 06:20 PM
Very cool. I'm at -119.305, 46.306, at 237m PST. Looks like a very early morning.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Centaur
2017-Feb-25, 10:48 PM
Very cool. I'm at -119.305, 46.306, at 237m PST. Looks like a very early morning.

Actually, fairly early in the evening. :)

19:21:25 PST - Immersion
20:00:39 PST - Emersion

Buttercup
2017-Feb-25, 11:30 PM

I don't know where I'm at. :( Thanks for showing off, Kennewick Man. :p (joking)

Centaur
2017-Feb-25, 11:58 PM
I don't know where I'm at. :( Thanks for showing off, Kennewick Man. :p (joking)

It looks as though he plans to set up his telescope on an airport runway. ;)

Buttercup
2017-Feb-26, 12:00 AM

:D

Actually I did look up my coordinates, but won't post them (don't want anyone to feel obligated to figure out what time here; I can do that).

Kennewick Man
2017-Feb-26, 02:58 AM
Not unless I'm way off on my coordinates. So maybe that's why my time estimate was so different. Will re-check.

Centaur
2017-Feb-26, 06:21 AM
You can learn your latitude, longitude and altitude/elevation at this website: https://www.daftlogic.com/sandbox-google-maps-find-altitude.htm

Enter into the long rectangular "Search for Location" box your street address, city and state.

Note that the results are ridiculously precise. Only five digits after the decimal point for latitude and longitude would be enough to provide precision to the nearest meter. ;)

Kennewick Man
2017-Feb-26, 07:52 AM
Ah so. Lat should be 46.206, not 46.306, my error. I guess the airport is directly north of me. Thanks Centaur.

Centaur
2017-Feb-26, 04:14 PM
Ah so. Lat should be 46.206, not 46.306, my error. I guess the airport is directly north of me. Thanks Centaur.

You're welcome. We all write typos at times. I've also changed your elevation/altitude to 254 meters, as given by that DraftLogic source.

Here are the corrected results:

19:21:08 PST - Immersion
20:01:02 PST - Emersion

The Moon will be up and the Sun down for you. Here's wishing you clear skies. :)

Centaur
2017-Mar-05, 04:13 AM
I just witnessed my first occultation after more than 58 years. Ten-power binoculars were used. ;)
My prediction for my location was 21:56:47 CST, and that is precisely when orange Aldebaran instantly winked out on the dark limb of the Moon. Pretty cool. :rimshot:

Earlier cloudy skies were predicted for this evening, but they were actually perfectly clear for the occultation here in Chicagoland. I hope you too are having luck. :)

Kennewick Man
2017-Mar-05, 04:31 AM
I just witnessed my first occultation after more than 58 years. Ten-power binoculars were used. ;)
My prediction for my location was 21:56:47 CST, and that is precisely when orange Aldebaran instantly winked out on the dark limb of the Moon. Pretty cool. :rimshot:

Earlier cloudy skies were predicted for this evening, but they were actually perfectly clear for the occultation here in Chicagoland. I hope you too are having luck. :)
Was ready despite high clouds, and it paid off! The star winked out right on schedule, then re-emerged to crystal clear skies 40 minutes later. I had my old 4-inch Galileo reflector that was just right for the event. Thanks for inspiring this.

Buttercup
2017-Mar-05, 04:25 PM
Saw it!! :D

Stepped outdoors 8:20 p.m. local time. Aldebaran very near Half Moon. Checked again later; covered.

It'd be nice if more occultations would cooperate with reasonable AWAKE hours. ;)

Centaur
2017-Mar-05, 05:45 PM
Was ready despite high clouds, and it paid off! The star winked out right on schedule, then re-emerged to crystal clear skies 40 minutes later. I had my old 4-inch Galileo reflector that was just right for the event. Thanks for inspiring this.

Saw it!! :D

Stepped outdoors 8:20 p.m. local time. Aldebaran very near Half Moon. Checked again later; covered.

It'd be nice if more occultations would cooperate with reasonable AWAKE hours. ;)

You're welcome Kennewick Man. Glad you were successful. :rimshot:

Happy for you too, Buttercup. Meanwhile, I've been consulting with Diana the Moon Goddess. She's agreed to present another evening occultation for North Americans on March 31. Details can be found on my Occultations webpage: www.CurtRenz.com/occultations.html :D

Buttercup
2017-Mar-05, 07:39 PM
Meanwhile, I've been consulting with Diana the Moon Goddess. She's agreed to present another evening occultation for North Americans on March 31. Details can be found on my Occultations webpage: www.CurtRenz.com/occultations.html :D

Dear Diana: Please make it around 8:20 p.m.-ish again. It would be so appreciated.

Sincerely - Cynthia