PDA

View Full Version : Passengers or Why I keep one eye open while in hibernation. [spoilers]

DukePaul
2017-Mar-04, 12:47 PM
Spoilers

Just watched Passengers and it was mildly entertaining. That is enough for most people but this forum is and should be more demanding of the content of science fiction movies. OK I said science fiction so one must allow some wiggle room but I really don't like stubbing my toe on what seems to be blunders or careless mistakes. The movie is pretty, characters written to be likeable to the general public and the plot easy to follow. But there were things I thought not thought out.
1. 128 year one way trip. One passenger wakes at 28 years out, another passenger at 29 years out. Both cuddle up to watch a gravity-assist maneuver at Arcturus(about 37 light years from Sol) but
we are told the ship is only moving at .5 c. Wait a minute that would mean the ship would be traveling at plus c.
2. It was said that there were "thousands" of ships making these trips but how can a company make a profit much less make a business plan when the trips take many decades. A colony would be huge
and changing beyond what ever the company had planned for. Also the company is "charging" the passengers for every little thing they consume on aboard but economies as do company life spans
change and collapse.
3. 5000 passengers and 286 crew. One Auto-Doc. No back-up plans because we are told: Nothing fails. Excuse me if I have doubts about equipment running for 128 years non-stop.....in space.

Delvo
2017-Mar-04, 01:18 PM
1. 128 year one way trip. One passenger wakes at 28 years out, another passenger at 29 years out. Both cuddle up to watch a gravity-assist maneuver at Arcturus(about 37 light years from Sol) but we are told the ship is only moving at .5 c. Wait a minute that would mean the ship would be traveling at plus c.28/29 years passed aboard the ship; more than 37 passed on the planets.

2. It was said that there were "thousands" of ships making these trips but how can a company make a profit much less make a business plan when the trips take many decadesBy collecting the entire payment before the trip begins

3. 5000 passengers and 286 crew. One Auto-Doc.Ya, the ratio didn't seem right to me, but I figured the AD is supposed to get things done really fast, so no lingering while the next patient waits, and the controlled environment and likely genetic engineering in the population would keep their medical needs minimal.

Excuse me if I have doubts about equipment running for 128 years non-stop.....in space.Ya, the lights on and apparently air control systems running bugged me, til I figured they could be triggered by the first pod opening. (Scenes showing empty chambers with the lights on could have been from soon after they launched, not chronologically continuous with the rest of the movie.)

The biggest annoyance for me was gravity apparently failing & losing power aboard a rotating ship.

Strange
2017-Mar-04, 02:34 PM
28/29 years passed aboard the ship; more than 37 passed on the planets.

29/37 means about 0.62c, so not far off I suppose.

DaveC426913
2017-Mar-04, 02:58 PM
The biggest annoyance for me was gravity apparently failing & losing power aboard a rotating ship.

They did show the rotation coming to a stop, then restarting. Which is dumb but not technically inaccurate. Except the compression of timing for the sake of movie effect.

Although how the gravity stopped was ... fanciful ...
The pool water should have lurched directly to the side, not up.

What would have happened is that the water would have shifted to the spinward wall, then the ceiling, then the antispinward wall, then back down - a counter-rotating eddy, confined in a cubic space.

When gravity started up, the eddy should have reversed direction, collapsing to the antispinward wall first.

DukePaul
2017-Mar-04, 04:26 PM
The ship had reached Arcturus in 29-30 years which is 36.66 light years from Sol BUT the crewmen said the ship was only at .5 c so the ship should only be about 15 light years from Sol not 36.66.
We were told the company expected take a portion of the workers pay upon starting work at the colony but that would be starting 128 years later. What if they refused or the worker was no longer needed? Not a very good investment for the company in that case.

ronin
2017-Mar-14, 03:41 AM
The ship had reached Arcturus in 29-30 years which is 36.66 light years from Sol BUT the crewmen said the ship was only at .5 c so the ship should only be about 15 light years from Sol not 36.66.
We were told the company expected take a portion of the workers pay upon starting work at the colony but that would be starting 128 years later. What if they refused or the worker was no longer needed? Not a very good investment for the company in that case.

That 29-30 years is Ship's time (affected by relativity due to velocity), though even at .5c I think the dilation would still put them a few LY short of the 36.66 ly mark, but still well past 15ly.

Edit: oops I think I overestimated the effects of dilation at .5c, it's only 1.15 days per outside day passed.

msollot
2017-Mar-14, 01:31 PM
Spoilers
2. It was said that there were "thousands" of ships making these trips but how can a company make a profit much less make a business plan when the trips take many decades.

Actually, someone has already been working on the economics of interstellar trade.

https://www.princeton.edu/~pkrugman/interstellar.pdf