PDA

View Full Version : A Question About The Coronado PST

Russ
2005-Feb-21, 10:08 PM
Well, actually, it's about all of the Coronado solar scopes. Specifically, the PST seems extraordinarilly cheap for an H-alpha filter/scope. Has anybody bought/used/barrowed one? Are they actually a good instrument or a piece of junk?

Sky & Telescope gives it a very good review but in the very same issue, none of the pictures in the Coronado ad are made with it? They are all from the MaxScope 70 or better. If I'm interested in getting H-alpha technology is this a good way to go? Are the MaxScopes better? Are the MaxScopes worth the price difference? I solicit any and all informed opinions. :)

Also, I was thinking in terms of mounting it on my LX-200. Does anyone have experience with this? Have you got a better idea? Again, I welcome all informed opinions.

BigJim
2005-Feb-21, 10:50 PM
Well, actually, it's about all of the Coronado solar scopes. Specifically, the PST seems extraordinarilly cheap for an H-alpha filter/scope. Has anybody bought/used/barrowed one? Are they actually a good instrument or a piece of junk?

Sky & Telescope gives it a very good review but in the very same issue, none of the pictures in the Coronado ad are made with it? They are all from the MaxScope 70 or better. If I'm interested in getting H-alpha technology is this a good way to go? Are the MaxScopes better? Are the MaxScopes worth the price difference? I solicit any and all informed opinions. :)

Also, I was thinking in terms of mounting it on my LX-200. Does anyone have experience with this? Have you got a better idea? Again, I welcome all informed opinions.

Russ, I had the same dilemma you have right now. I decided to buy it - and boy, was that the right decision. Don't hesitate. Buy one right now. The PST is everything it is supposed to be and much more. With the PST, I have seen sunspots, plages, filaments, granulation, prominences of every size and description (there was a very nice one a few days ago) and even one small flare. Every clear day I use my PST, and I often attract a good number of people who want to look at the Sun also.

I think the most accurate review I've read was the one in Astronomy. You can take that pretty much at face value. So definitely don't hesitate: the PST is absolutely incredible. Some people in my local astronomy club have been coming over for looks through it, too. PST = good.

Two more comments - first, you asked if anyone had borrowed a PST - you won't meet a soul on Earth who's ever borrowed a PST, because no one in his or her right mind would be willing to part with it! :wink:
Second, as far as the MaxScopes go, you won't see anything you're NOT seeing with the PST (with the possible exception of spicules), you'll just see them with more contrast and be able to bump able the magnification a lot more (I don't go any higher than 66x). And the main shortcoming of the PST is that it's nearly unusable for afocal photography (although some people over at Coronado's solar chat forum have gotten really good results), so if that was your primary use you'd want a MaxScope. But if you want something for visual use, you will be more than satisfied with the PST. Start with a PST and if you want to do serious photography, get a MaxScope. But another thing to keep in mind - Coronado says it takes time to "train" your eye for H-alpha. This is quite true. Every day I see more than I did the day before; basically, the more you observe the Sun in H-alpha the better you will get at seeing fine detail.

Russ
2005-Feb-22, 12:21 AM
Thanks Big Jim. You said something that begged another question. I have a 1.25" adaptor for my SLR camera. Will I be able to mount the camera on the PST (the way I do on my LX-200) or would I have to go to a MaxScope to do that? Thanks in advance. :D

BigJim
2005-Feb-22, 10:17 PM
Thanks Big Jim. You said something that begged another question. I have a 1.25" adaptor for my SLR camera. Will I be able to mount the camera on the PST (the way I do on my LX-200) or would I have to go to a MaxScope to do that? Thanks in advance. :D

You'll be able to mount it but don't expect good results from it.

Russ
2005-Feb-22, 10:39 PM

You'll be able to mount it but don't expect good results from it.

Does your response mean that I should go with one of the MaxSopes?