PDA

View Full Version : 99 Grand Am Parking Brake

cjackson
2017-Apr-06, 05:31 AM
The button on the parking brake stopped working, so now I can't apply the parking brake. I can't really find any information online about this specific thing. How do I fix it?

Jens
2017-Apr-06, 05:54 AM
I don't know, but surely there must be forums for grand am enthusiasts who would be better at answering that question than a bunch of space geeks. :)

2017-Apr-06, 06:06 AM
Take it apart, locate the broken bit, replace or repair it, and reassemble.

Or, at a higher level, replace the entire assembly.

PetersCreek
2017-Apr-06, 06:53 AM
Or, at a higher level, replace the entire assembly.

On an even higher level: unscrew the radiator cap, drive new car under cap, replace radiator cap.

More seriously, a quick google suggests that this may go deeper than just the parking brake lever release button. Having a mechanic look at it might be the most cost and stress effective solution.

Solfe
2017-Apr-06, 01:34 PM
If its is like my wife's old Grand Am, the lever is in the center of the car. Push button, move lever, get brakes. It's simple in execution, but its attached to the brakes and the line runs down the center of the car. It isn't difficult to fix, but replacing the line means getting right up under the car after messing with the lever inside. I would see a mechanic.

profloater
2017-Apr-06, 01:44 PM
I am sure it is right to go to a mechanic. It seems to be an old style drum brake, cable operated but with the addition of an automatic tensioner which sets the adjustment on release using stored energy in a spring. So it could worn out linings, broken spring or maybe one side cable broken, causing a twist at the lever. I would get it checked out.