PDA

View Full Version : Identification of 9/11 remains comes to an end

Cylinder
2005-Feb-23, 11:42 AM
Here (http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/02/22/wtc.identifications/index.html) is the CNN article.

Saying it has exhausted all DNA technology, the New York City Medical Examiner has halted the process of identifying human remains from the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks at the World Trade Center site.[snip]
For some time, the process has been at a near standstill. Of the 2,749 people known to have been killed at the World Trade Center site, only 1,585 -- or 58 percent -- were identified on the basis of recovered physical remains.

The death toll does not include the 10 hijackers who crashed passenger jets into the twin towers. Two of their remains were identified.

Today would be a good day for those so inclined to pray for or wish strength and comfort for families of the missing during their difficult days ahead.

beskeptical
2005-Feb-23, 11:56 AM
It doesn't really say why there are remains DNA cannot be extracted from. It's overwhelming though, what force such crushing towers exerted. Must be really hard for those with no conclusion of so much as an identifying drop of blood. [moment of silence for them all] :cry:

Cylinder
2005-Feb-23, 12:08 PM
It doesn't really say why there are remains DNA cannot be extracted from. It's overwhelming though, what force such crushing towers exerted. Must be really hard for those with no conclusion of so much as an identifying drop of blood. [moment of silence for them all] :cry:

I would guess it was a combination of enviornmental degradation (such as burned bone fragments) and a lack of known sample for comparison. I bet they have done variations on paternity testing for some of the remains (though I don't know this for fact) but there are probably many without blood relatives available. Maybe someone can shed some light on this. I'll have to check up a bit myself.