PDA

View Full Version : $120 (Lego) Saturn V Rocket?

Solfe
2017-May-01, 04:26 AM
Here is a story (https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/04/the-lego-has-landed-new-set-allows-you-to-build-the-moon-rocket/) on Lego's new idea. A Saturn V, with 3 stages and lander. It stands almost a meter tall. Is it worth it?

Aw, heck yes. How about you?

The Backroad Astronomer
2017-May-01, 05:32 AM
Well yeah, perfect right next to the lego death star and millennium Falcon.

pzkpfw
2017-May-01, 07:20 AM

When I was six or seven, I used to make Saturn rockets. They were square section as I had no round bits. But they tried! I had stages, and the Apollo command and service module as best I could. I even hung "space lab" from the ceiling (off a light) using some wool, and flew missions to it.

I also had (have, but some bits broken) this set: https://www.toysperiod.com/lego-set-reference/legoland/space/lego-565-1-moon-landing/

Do I want this new set?

Double-plus-yes!

(If it comes in under $300 NZD).

(Edit: not quite the same scale as my Lego Space Shuttle, but not so far off that they'll look silly near each other. https://shop.lego.com/en-US/Shuttle-Expedition-10231 )

ngc3314
2017-May-01, 02:14 PM
Younger Son mentioned last night (in an only slightly oblique way) that he's thinking of getting me one for my upcoming 60th birthday. Did I mention my additional pride that he is employed and could afford it? (Alas, we never finished that 1/350 TOS Enterprise kit before he moved away).

grant hutchison
2017-May-01, 02:42 PM
I never really understood the appeal of Lego - I prefer models that look as much like the real thing as possible.
You could pick up a moderately authentic looking 1/44 model kit for a lower price, though you'd need some additional painting and assembly skills.

Grant Hutchison

BigDon
2017-May-01, 03:39 PM
I agree with the good doctor, but find them as tolerable as any other fad/hobby that I find harmless but don't participate in.

The Backroad Astronomer
2017-May-01, 03:42 PM
When I was a kid most lego kits where just a group of bricks and you could build whatever you wanted. With the same kit you could build a house then tear it down and build spaceships then boats. What save Lego is that it got into doing kits licensed from TV shows and movies.

profloater
2017-May-01, 03:47 PM
It was meccano in my day, lots of little screws and nuts, but I never swallowed any. Meccano constructions did not fall apart the way Lego does. I am sure it influenced my life choices towards engineering.

Grey
2017-May-01, 04:13 PM
I never really understood the appeal of Lego - I prefer models that look as much like the real thing as possible.
You could pick up a moderately authentic looking 1/44 model kit for a lower price, though you'd need some additional painting and assembly skills.Lego was my favorite toy growing up. Even once they moved from having fairly generic sets of random bricks to having sets with instructions to build some specific thing, the appeal for me (and I expect for many others) was not just building that thing and then displaying or playing with it. It was that you could later use those pieces to build other stuff of your own design. Following the instructions to build the initial set was often useful in that you'd learn techniques for things that worked well (or just things that you liked but that you might not have thought of on your own), and you could use those techniques later in other things.

grant hutchison
2017-May-01, 04:40 PM
It was meccano in my day, lots of little screws and nuts, but I never swallowed any. Meccano constructions did not fall apart the way Lego does. I am sure it influenced my life choices towards engineering.You were either a Meccano kid or a Lego kid in my day, and I was definitely Meccano. Playground arguments over the relative merits of the two systems would frequently develop into fights, and the Meccano kids could generally demolish the Lego kids, who were by nature effete and feeble. Or so I seem to remember it.

Grant Hutchison

George
2017-May-01, 05:34 PM
Here is a story (https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/04/the-lego-has-landed-new-set-allows-you-to-build-the-moon-rocket/) on Lego's new idea. A Saturn V, with 3 stages and lander. It stands almost a meter tall. Is it worth it?

Thanks, Solfe. My 11 year-old grandson will, fortunately, need my assistance, which is why I appreciate learning about this cool kit. :)

publiusr
2017-May-05, 05:09 PM
the Meccano kids could generally demolish the Lego kids, who were by nature effete and feeble. Or so I seem to remember it.
Grant Hutchison

No fair--those metal bits are better shivs

Trebuchet
2017-May-05, 09:58 PM
My brother and I had every (US) construction set ever made as kids, including a large Erector set. Pre-dated Lego, however. We would combine the various sets in all sorts of ways. I also had a collection of assorted wires, light bulbs, batteries, and motors which made things even more fun.
However: The fun was in the freestyling. After you build one or two things from the instructions, you branch out. I'm not sure buying a dedicated kit for a single model is what would appeal to me.

BigDon
2017-May-05, 10:22 PM
You were either a Meccano kid or a Lego kid in my day, and I was definitely Meccano. Playground arguments over the relative merits of the two systems would frequently develop into fights, and the Meccano kids could generally demolish the Lego kids, who were by nature effete and feeble. Or so I seem to remember it.

Grant Hutchison

No, you remember it correctly. :)

The Backroad Astronomer
2017-May-05, 10:26 PM
My brother and I had every (US) construction set ever made as kids, including a large Erector set. Pre-dated Lego, however. We would combine the various sets in all sorts of ways. I also had a collection of assorted wires, light bulbs, batteries, and motors which made things even more fun.
However: The fun was in the freestyling. After you build one or two things from the instructions, you branch out. I'm not sure buying a dedicated kit for a single model is what would appeal to me.
So that is when you started building Trebuchets.

Trebuchet
2017-May-06, 01:09 AM
So that is when you started building Trebuchets. I can only wish I knew about them at the time. That would have been awesome.

Grey
2017-May-07, 09:56 PM
You were either a Meccano kid or a Lego kid in my day, and I was definitely Meccano. Playground arguments over the relative merits of the two systems would frequently develop into fights, and the Meccano kids could generally demolish the Lego kids, who were by nature effete and feeble. Or so I seem to remember it.I actually enjoyed both, though I liked Lego more. I confess to being a little perplexed that someone could really like one, but not see the point of the other (especially since your complaint about Lego, that your models won't have very realistic detail, is certainly true of Meccano as well). I thought they were both cool construction toys to play with.

(I'm also a little surprised by the notion of getting into a fistfight with someone over which toy is better. I can't imagine having done that as a child, but maybe I'm just too effete and feeble. ;))

grant hutchison
2017-May-08, 12:19 AM
I actually enjoyed both, though I liked Lego more. I confess to being a little perplexed that someone could really like one, but not see the point of the other (especially since your complaint about Lego, that your models won't have very realistic detail, is certainly true of Meccano as well). I thought they were both cool construction toys to play with.Maybe we had different Meccano and Lego sets. In my day, Lego did nothing but blocky buildings and rather sad blocky vehicles (wheels were an exciting innovation). Meccano did working cranes and windmills, and walking machines with clockwork motors.

(I'm also a little surprised by the notion of getting into a fistfight with someone over which toy is better. I can't imagine having done that as a child, but maybe I'm just too effete and feeble. ;))Really? I can't imagine not getting into a fistfight over which toy was better. What sort of namby-pamby upbringing did you have?

Grant Hutchison

Grey
2017-May-08, 04:24 PM
Maybe we had different Meccano and Lego sets. In my day, Lego did nothing but blocky buildings and rather sad blocky vehicles (wheels were an exciting innovation). Meccano did working cranes and windmills, and walking machines with clockwork motors.I think I must be younger, because the Lego that I grew up with (at least toward the later part of my childhood) included not just wheels, but gears and other such sundries (I remember being particularly pleased at having universal joints, and the pieces needed to put together a functioning differential). The motors were electric (I know that someone made steam engines compatible with Meccano; I never had one of those, but it's pretty awesome that they existed at all). I know I built a functioning windmill with some of the first-generation Lego gears, because there's a picture of me at a pretty young age sitting beside it, showing it off.

Really? I can't imagine not getting into a fistfight over which toy was better. What sort of namby-pamby upbringing did you have?Huh. Glad we're having this conversation at a distance. ;)

grant hutchison
2017-May-08, 07:03 PM
I think I must be younger, because the Lego that I grew up with (at least toward the later part of my childhood) included not just wheels, but gears and other such sundries (I remember being particularly pleased at having universal joints, and the pieces needed to put together a functioning differential).Yes, I think Lego gears didn't arrive until the mid-70s, by which time I was interested mainly in girls and beer. Wheels of various sizes appeared during the 60s.
Whereas I had a large 1950s Meccano set, a hand-me-down from wealthier cousins, and it was full of gears and cranks and chains and pulleys, and there were little physics lessons in the manual about the concept of mechanical advantage.

Grant Hutchison

Nowhere Man
2017-Jun-02, 01:22 AM
It's June 1. Guess what I bought today? I can add it to my other NASA-based sets: big MER, small MER with Delta II rocket, tiny Saturn V with CSM and LM, big LM, two different shuttles, early-stage ISS, and Hyabusa (OK, that's JAXA, not NASA).

I also got a Yellow Submarine.

Why buy these sets? I like assembling things. With Lego, I can do it over and over. As a kid in the '60s, my Lego set was one of the generalist sets, and I built all kinds of stuff with it. I lusted after the Technics sets, and did buy a few when I grew up and got a job. I have a tackle box full of the stuff, as well as the specialized box sets.

Fred

pzkpfw
2017-Jun-02, 04:53 AM
It's June 1. Guess what I bought today? ...

I'd be jealous, but "you guys" built the original so maybe fair you get the model first.

(Supposed to be here, not seen it yet ...)

publiusr
2017-Jun-02, 08:13 PM
Here is a Sat V Lego build
http://www.space.com/37050-lego-nasa-apollo-saturn-v.html

I'm missing a nozzle...

CJSF
2017-Jun-04, 11:07 AM
For any Scott Manley fans out there, he recently put a short video on his YouTube channel of his Saturn V Lego kit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvPreg-6D9c

CJSF

Swift
2017-Jun-05, 05:43 PM
For any Scott Manley fans out there, he recently put a short video on his YouTube channel of his Saturn V Lego kit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvPreg-6D9c

CJSF
Beat me to the punch. And yes, I'm a big Scott Manley fan.

George
2017-Jun-05, 06:57 PM
Our only Lego store is out of them due to high demand. I'm please to hear it but I will have to wait.

Glom
2017-Jun-06, 12:16 PM
I might just do it. I'll be a nice thing for my new house.

I could put it in the garden and let it rot like they do to Saturn V's at Johnson Space Center.

ngc3314
2017-Jun-06, 03:58 PM
After too many years in the elements, all three surviving (at least partly flight-hardware) Saturn V's are now indoors. Huntsville has the added attraction of a vertical 1:1 scale model next door.

In other news, since Younger Son works a shift starting at 0315, he ordered from Lego's initial batch. He couldn't stand the wait and waved my Father's Day box at me on Skype last night.

pzkpfw
2017-Jun-16, 03:35 AM
I had left my name at the local equivalent of Toys'r'us. They just called. The sets have arrived and I asked for one to be set aside.

Will pick it up tomorrow.

Apparently NZD $199.99, which is USD $144 (according to google), so not too bad.

Wife's just left on a business trip, so good timing ...

publiusr
2017-Jun-16, 06:52 PM
I can't wait to see some bashes with this mixed in with other kits. I used to have the LEGO LEM
https://brickset.com/sets/565-1/Moon-Landing

pzkpfw
2017-Jun-17, 05:00 AM
Clearly Lego is part of the secret Lizard ruling elite.

Went and got my set. Did some other stuff (food shopping ...) got home made a cup of coffee and sat down in front of the T.V for a break. Put on the History channel.

And there on the day this set was released .... a documentary on the Saturn V.

George
2017-Jun-17, 03:02 PM
Got it last weekend, watched tv with wife out of town, and finished Sunday. The instructions were excellent though I removed two pieces to make it all fit, so I may have erred.

jamesabrown
2017-Jun-19, 05:48 PM
The flanking angels is a nice touch.

George
2017-Jun-19, 05:57 PM
The flanking angels is a nice touch.:)

It wasn't pre-planned since I just happened to build it there, but I did notice it and liked the idea of it reaching to the heavens, with or without the normal contingent of occupants. :)

Trebuchet
2017-Jun-19, 07:09 PM
The flanking angels is a nice touch.

As long as they aren't the weeping variety. Those things creep me out.

CJSF
2017-Jun-19, 08:21 PM
Perhaps another fan favorite, Amy Shira Teitel, of Vintage Space, live-streamed her build a few days ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6z7mMISNEy0

CJSF

schlaugh
2017-Jun-19, 08:35 PM
Perhaps another fan favorite, Amy Shira Teitel, of Vintage Space, live-streamed her build a few days ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6z7mMISNEy0

CJSF
Adam Savage did the same, with two friends, and also employed Fast Forward Time Lapse to speed through the build in a 20-minute video. (https://youtu.be/UxtUrloLlm8) Amy's 82-minute video (Part 1) was a weeeee bit tedious for my taste. But kudos to her for tackling a detailed build on camera, and live streaming no less.

Now I'm wanting one of these kits. Maybe for my birthday next year.

Nowhere Man
2017-Jun-19, 10:28 PM
Got it last weekend, watched tv with wife out of town, and finished Sunday.

Looks nice. I finished mine gradually, doing one bag per day.

The instructions were excellent though I removed two pieces to make it all fit, so I may have erred.

Yeah, you screwed up. I used everything except for the usual extra itty-bitty, easy-to-lose 1x1 pieces. You know what that means? You get to take it completely apart and rebuild it, to make sure you do it right!

Fred

KaiYeves
2017-Jun-19, 10:39 PM
As long as they aren't the weeping variety. Those things creep me out.

You know, usually that typo is made the other way around.

George
2017-Jun-22, 01:50 PM
Looks nice. I finished mine gradually, doing one bag per day.

Yeah, you screwed up. I used everything except for the usual extra itty-bitty, easy-to-lose 1x1 pieces. You know what that means? You get to take it completely apart and rebuild it, to make sure you do it right!
Yep, I thought this would be the case since tv can be distracting. I considered a major tear-down to make the correction but decided against it; it's nice to know I can still make decisions in milliseconds. :)

ngc3314
2017-Jun-23, 03:24 PM
Finally started, spreading the experience out in time. These are the sections in parts bags 11 and 12. Houdini, in the background, is unfamiliar with Apollo-era technology and was watching the process intently. The stages have a lot of intricate internal structure which provides strength.

publiusr
2017-Jun-23, 07:11 PM
Houdini, in the background, is unfamiliar with Apollo-era technology.

Then play Eno's "Energy Fools the Magician.'

publiusr
2017-Jul-08, 04:44 PM
Now the LUT, perhaps?
https://www.space.com/37382-saturn-v-tower-lego-set-campaign.html

Nowhere Man
2017-Jul-09, 12:42 AM
And look carefully at the pix. I vonder vhere Gunther Wendt?

Fred