PDA

View Full Version : Why do I love/loath songs?

Tom Mazanec
2017-May-01, 03:22 PM
What is the neurology of my hearing a song like "You've Gotta Be Loved" by the Montanas once and going "Sqeeeee!" and walking on Cloud Nine every time I hear it thereafter...
while every time I hear "Hey Jude" by the Beatles I hate it even more?

BigDon
2017-May-01, 04:15 PM
Hmmm, length of time between the two comes to mind. When the first song is as old as the second one, you may well be tired of it too.

Swift
2017-May-01, 04:58 PM
What is the neurology of my hearing a song like "You've Gotta Be Loved" by the Montanas once and going "Sqeeeee!" and walking on Cloud Nine every time I hear it thereafter...
while every time I hear "Hey Jude" by the Beatles I hate it even more?
Why do you think it has anything to do with neurology? Maybe you associate the songs with specific events or parts of your life? Maybe you were brought up listening to certain music?

And even if there is some neurological component, I suspect the science is not sophisticated enough to distinguish biological causes of Montanas vs. Beatles.

Buttercup
2017-May-01, 05:02 PM
...reminds me of just this morning, while grocery shopping. A Beatles song (can't recall which), and later "Ruby Tuesday." And I thought, "Another Beatles song, hmmm."

Then realized it's The Rolling Stones. :rolleyes:

My taste in music has changed over the years. Stuff that used to really get me going is now, "Again??" Totally worn out. I'm developing a taste for Jazz.

George
2017-May-01, 05:16 PM
There are many variables besides one's taste and generation. Take an average song you like and then go 2 weeks without hearing any song whatsoever. Play that song and see what a difference it makes. In the days of 8-track and while at sea for two weeks, there was no music until we got close to Ireland. Someone had a radio and on came Creedence Clearwater Revival. Wow, was that great!

grant hutchison
2017-May-01, 06:47 PM
while every time I hear "Hey Jude" by the Beatles I hate it even more?I think that's just bad taste, not neurology.

But seriously, I believe no-one has established quite why music is so effective at lighting up emotional responses in our brains. Stephen Pinker called it "auditory cheesecake", suggesting that music was a fine-tuned distillation of the auditory patterns our brains automatically link to emotion because picking those patterns out from background noise once provided us with some sort of survival value. Levitin's book This Is Your Brain On Music was considered to be a partial rebuttal of Pinker's stance, but I haven't read it.

Grant Hutchison

Tom Mazanec
2017-May-01, 07:45 PM
There are songs I play on Youtube quite frequently that I love, and I don't get tired of them. But I never liked "Hey Jude". But maybe you have a point.

Buttercup
2017-May-01, 07:56 PM
But I never liked "Hey Jude". But maybe you have a point.

Maybe a guinea pig I had years ago "had a point." She'd trill sweetly to Elvis, but trill angrily to The Beatles.

Maybe Quentin Tarantino is right about Elvis vs The Beatles.

George
2017-May-01, 09:05 PM
I was indifferent to the Beatles until I heard Day Tripper. Hearing that bass intro was a unique experience that I still enjoy.

Jens
2017-May-01, 11:43 PM
There are songs I play on Youtube quite frequently that I love, and I don't get tired of them. But I never liked "Hey Jude". But maybe you have a point.

It's really hard to tell what might turn you off to a certain song. A lot of people like the song, so there's nothing inherently loathsome about it. Sometimes people have preferences. For example, I've never been a big fan of cheerful songs, but tat's sort of my personality. I Want to Hold Your Hand was never a big favorite of mine.

grant hutchison
2017-May-02, 12:27 AM
Sometimes people have preferences. For example, I've never been a big fan of cheerful songs, but tat's sort of my personality. I Want to Hold Your Hand was never a big favorite of mine.Maybe I Hold Your Hand In Mine (http://lyrics.wikia.com/wiki/Tom_Lehrer:I_Hold_Your_Hand_In_Mine) would be more to your tastes?

I hold your hand in mine, dear
I press it to my lips
I take a healthy bite from
Your lovely fingertips.

My joy would be complete, dear
If you were only here
But still I keep your hand
As a lovely souvenir.

Grant Hutchison

WaxRubiks
2017-May-02, 01:35 AM
It's really hard to tell what might turn you off to a certain song. A lot of people like the song, so there's nothing inherently loathsome about it. Sometimes people have preferences. For example, I've never been a big fan of cheerful songs, but tat's sort of my personality. I Want to Hold Your Hand was never a big favorite of mine.

Eleanor Rigby is a nice sad song.

George
2017-May-02, 01:37 PM
Then there's Country music, which includes the following to make it, according to the song itself, the "perfect country and western song" (of David Allan Coe)...

"Well, I was drunk the day my mom got out of prison
And I went to pick her up in the rain
But before I could get to the station in my pickup truck
She got runned over by a damned old train"

grant hutchison
2017-May-02, 01:48 PM
The Scottish comedian Billy Connolly came up with a "Country & Western Supersong" entitled "My Granny's A Cripple In Nashville (https://www.flashlyrics.com/lyrics/billy-connolly/the-c-w-super-song-35)".

Grant Hutchison

Tom Mazanec
2017-May-02, 03:04 PM
What happens when you play country music backwards?
Your dog comes back to life, you get your job back, your wife returns to you...

George
2017-May-02, 09:19 PM
The Scottish comedian Billy Connolly came up with a "Country & Western Supersong" entitled "My Granny's A Cripple In Nashville (https://www.flashlyrics.com/lyrics/billy-connolly/the-c-w-super-song-35)".
:) The unabridged Cliffsnote's version likely mentions that this was when Nashville was relocated inland, or is there a Nashville, Scotland?

What happens when you play country music backwards?
Your dog comes back to life, you get your job back, your wife returns to you... I think you are allowed up to 9 returns when played backwards, or is that only for rock?