PDA

View Full Version : Finally switched from Windows to Mac... and I have a question....

gzhpcu
2017-May-06, 12:00 PM
My HP Pavillion PC finally died. It was a slow and gradual death. Overloaded with Norton Antivirus, etc., it slowed down to snail`s pace. Then since a month, it started making loud noisses, and then during a Skype session it crashed with a bang.

Since I have an iPhone and an iPad, decided to get a Sierra iMac. I like the integration via iCloud. Fast and easy to use. Really like it.

Being an ex-PC person, I was just wondering from other MAC users here if antivirus software is needed. MacWorld says most users have no antivirus, but that Bitdefender, if needed, is the best and you hardly notice it is running.

My question: what are your thoughts? Do you have one installed.

Thanks in advance....

gzhpcu
2017-May-06, 01:12 PM
Sounds like someone does not like Apple.... First Microsoft was the enemy... now Apple...???

Glom
2017-May-06, 01:19 PM
Sounds like someone does not like Apple.... First Microsoft was the enemy... now Apple...???
They're not as evil as Facebook. If Facebook is run by Lex Luthor, Apple is the Church of Scientology.

spare part
2017-May-06, 01:22 PM
Sounds like someone does not like Apple....

Or watches South Park.

Cougar
2017-May-06, 01:54 PM
My question: what are your thoughts? Do you have one installed.

Nope. Doesn't seem to be an issue with Macs.

Trebuchet
2017-May-06, 02:15 PM
Apple, I think, is no more evil than Microsoft or Google. They're all WAY to into our lives.

gzhpcu
2017-May-06, 03:05 PM
Is anybody using an antivirus and if so, why?

PetersCreek
2017-May-06, 04:55 PM
I'm not a Mac user...yet...but my understanding is that they aren't immune to viruses, it's just that the far greater numbers of PC users has so far provided a much bigger playground...and in the case of malware, a more lucrative one. As the Mac using population has grown, so have virus threats. If/when I buy Mac notebook, I'll definitely armor up.

profloater
2017-May-06, 05:14 PM
I'm not a Mac user...yet...but my understanding is that they aren't immune to viruses, it's just that the far greater numbers of PC users has so far provided a much bigger playground...and in the case of malware, a more lucrative one. As the Mac using population has grown, so have virus threats. If/when I buy Mac notebook, I'll definitely armor up.

Have used Mac for years without needing antivirus while colleagues suffer regularly on pc. However we did suffer from a gmail contact virus on Mac which destroyed some contacts and sent itself out. That was earlier this year on older operating system.

Heid the Ba'
2017-May-06, 10:18 PM
I've used iPads for years with no anti-virus I'm aware of.

gzhpcu
2017-May-07, 07:10 AM
Having suffered for years from viruses and malware with microsoft, I just went ahead and installed Bitdefender which gets top marks from MacWorld and does not slow down the Mac computer.
Yes hackers mostly concentrated on PCs in the past because these were used mostly by business users. I can understand that with the proliferation of Apple devices, this might change. How inherently safe they are from a software design point, I do not know.

profloater
2017-May-07, 12:43 PM
I would be interested to learn from software experts. The received wisdom is that the windows system is inherently weak because of the way it is built from hundreds of subroutines while the apple system is more homogeneous. The windows development consisted of hundreds of programmers fixing bugs and weakness with local patches of software. Is that still a fair summary or is it just that there are still many more pc systems to attack?

Trebuchet
2017-May-07, 08:57 PM
I just got a call from the "Apple Technical Center" saying they'd detected a malware on my system and shouldn't use it without going to their website. That's a new one.

Solfe
2017-May-07, 09:35 PM

I use a couple of macs. I don't use anti-virus because it seems unnecessary. It might be foolish, but relatively speaking, there is nothing out there that infects a mac. That is foolish, but nearly true.

profloater
2017-May-07, 10:11 PM
I just got a call from the "Apple Technical Center" saying they'd detected a malware on my system and shouldn't use it without going to their website. That's a new one.

I would be cynical and check, a call? The world is full of crooks.

Solfe
2017-May-07, 11:00 PM

Apple's phone number is 800-275-2273. Call em. On the other hand, they don't call people unless you have requested it. They do have a rather nifty system where you can initiate a call back via the web.

pzkpfw
2017-May-07, 11:21 PM
I'm guessing Trebuchet knows very well it's a scam call.

Claiming to be from windows has been going on a while now, I suspect same as the virus thing ... more likely they'll hit someone with a Windows PC.

Some of the call recipients answer back with "but my PC's are all macs" or "we run Linux here". (Others just hang up). So maybe "they" are branching out?

The last one I had some time to kill so I asked her which PC, as I have more than one so which did she think had a virus. After one repetition from each of us, she then rattled off a "serial number" faster than I could write or remember, so I said that, and she hung up. I failed to waste much of her time.

This report from Trebuchet is the first time I've heard someone claiming to be from "Apple", so, interesting.

Strange
2017-May-07, 11:37 PM

I have both Bitdefender and ClamXav. I run them both infrequently and they always find a couple of suspicious items in emails (which are, presumably, already in the spam folder anyway).

The risk is lower, but not nonexistent.

Solfe
2017-May-07, 11:41 PM
The risk is lower, but not nonexistent.

I would agree with this.

I have done a decade or so hard time in IT and I have never seen it happen*. If I don't say "it could happen", I could be in violation of my parole. I'd rather not go back.

*Edit - I lied. There were many, many times where I's see a user insert a deliberately infected disc into a mac machine. Invariable, the machine would crash and not display the cool Earth Day message. It was a trivial thing to fix, so it was never really discouraged. We used Disinfectant, as it was the only thing available aside from ViREX. We had both, but neither were installed. We just made up a boot disc with it and taped in under the keyboard.

When I was using OS X, there was nothing really out there. I made it to 10.4 before anyone questioned not having anti-viral software. That guy died and the issue was dropped. When I left, I brought it back up and put it on the agent for the next guy. I have no idea if they use anything.

Noisy Rhysling
2017-May-08, 12:04 AM

Claiming to be from windows has been going on a while now, I suspect same as the virus thing ... more likely they'll hit someone with a Windows PC.

Some of the call recipients answer back with "but my PC's are all macs" or "we run Linux here". (Others just hang up). So maybe "they" are branching out?

The last one I had some time to kill so I asked her which PC, as I have more than one so which did she think had a virus. After one repetition from each of us, she then rattled off a "serial number" faster than I could write or remember, so I said that, and she hung up. I failed to waste much of her time.

This report from Trebuchet is the first time I've heard someone claiming to be from "Apple", so, interesting.

Being a retired chief petty officer gives me the required skills for replying to those people. I hope I've given a few coronaries.

Trebuchet
2017-May-08, 03:58 AM

Exactly right. The particular call was a computerized voice so I couldn't even give her a bad time. And she's called twice more since I posted. Quite annoying.

We've never owned any Apple product by the way.

pzkpfw
2017-May-08, 04:41 AM
Exactly right. The particular call was a computerized voice so I couldn't even give her a bad time. And she's called twice more since I posted. Quite annoying.

We've never owned any Apple product by the way.

If we add up the amount of time wasted by citizens (your country, my country, everywhere) and the money in total lost to scammers, this has to be a real issue.

And I can't believe the technology doesn't exist (or couldn't exist) to trace the calls back to source (or the money scammed, to destination).

All it needs is for the right authorities to put enough pressure on the telecommunications companies; to stop everyone saying "not our problem" or, "we're just the medium".

This gets me angry as I think about it.

Glom
2017-May-08, 07:30 AM
I get annoyed when my providers legitimately call but on order to confirm they have reached me, ask me security questions. How do I know they're legitimate?

Heid the Ba'
2017-May-08, 08:06 AM
You don't. So you ask them security questions, which they won't answer. Or you call them back on a number you already have, which probably won't work. Tell them to write to you.

gzhpcu
2017-May-08, 11:16 AM
If we add up the amount of time wasted by citizens (your country, my country, everywhere) and the money in total lost to scammers, this has to be a real issue.

And I can't believe the technology doesn't exist (or couldn't exist) to trace the calls back to source (or the money scammed, to destination).

All it needs is for the right authorities to put enough pressure on the telecommunications companies; to stop everyone saying "not our problem" or, "we're just the medium".

This gets me angry as I think about it.I have antispam guards on my fixnet Swisscom telephone and use the Truecaller app on my iPhone. They work well.

pzkpfw
2017-May-08, 11:21 AM
I have antispam guards on my fixnet Swisscom telephone and use the Truecaller app on my iPhone. They work well.

Yeah, and I have a lock and an alarm on my car. I still want car thieves put in jail.

Nicolas
2017-May-08, 08:50 PM
Adaptation of the e-commerce credo: if your computer cannot be infected by a virus, your computer is the virus.

I learned that when I experienced how short the lifespan of the Magsaver cord is, and how expensive a new power adapter. The curse of single-manufacturer hardware.

gzhpcu
2017-May-13, 06:39 AM
Seems like a ransomware virus has hit microsoft computers... http://Massive ransomware infection hits computers in 99 countries http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39901382

Nicolas
2017-May-15, 06:43 PM
Seems like a ransomware virus has hit microsoft computers... http://Massive ransomware infection hits computers in 99 countries http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39901382

Which reminds me of the following: a good reason to have an antivirus on a non-Windows computer is that it helps against unknowingly spreading a virus.

Glom
2017-May-16, 07:43 AM
Good thing I use Windows 98.

No not really. Can you imagine?

My Windows 10 machine did a massive update this weekend. I wonder what that could be about? Although apparently the exploit isn't present in 10 in the first place.

Either way, I did some backing up of my files to OneDrive.

Windows 10 File History application is terrible because it tells you nothing about what it's doing. Anyone know a good third party backup software?

pzkpfw
2017-May-16, 11:12 AM
... My Windows 10 machine did a massive update this weekend. I wonder what that could be about? Although apparently the exploit isn't present in 10 in the first place. ...

The "creators' edition" is apparently being rolled out in stages. You may have got that.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/04/11/whats-new-in-the-windows-10-creators-update/#LtqHimSmTeyTy4rb.97

Strange
2017-May-16, 01:47 PM
None of that sounds in the least bit interesting or useful to me.

On the other hand, I bet they haven't changed the "feature" where updates will happily reboot the machine while you are working and have files open. I have lost work several times because of this.

pzkpfw
2017-May-16, 10:15 PM
None of that sounds in the least bit interesting or useful to me.

On the other hand, I bet they haven't changed the "feature" where updates will happily reboot the machine while you are working and have files open. I have lost work several times because of this.

Silly user.

Don't you know to save every 5 seconds?

Nicolas
2017-May-18, 02:28 PM
My last keyboard literally had the ctrl and s keys worn out. Sometimes a colleague curses because the software crashes and their last save is 3 hours old. My last save is never more than 3 minutes old, unless it's a program that takes more than 2 seconds to save. That said, a computer should never reboot without at least asking to save your work. And that said, I've personally never had a reboot that didn't ask me first. One W8 pc, one W10 pc.

mkline55
2017-May-18, 03:46 PM
I have had computers reboot with a message telling me to save my work, but running on a timer. So if I didn't save my work in enough time, poof! That probably explains those times I've come back to my computer after a break and find it's been rebooted. How convenient!

Trebuchet
2017-May-18, 04:55 PM
I've long since trained myself that when I find myself thinking "There, that looks good" it's time to save.

This Win7 computer had rebooted itself when I came back to it yesterday morning. Open Office wanted to recover my TTD (ThingsToDo) spreadsheet which was open, even though it had indeed been saved. That's a common occurrence on Wednesdays after MS downloads updates Tuesday night.

DonM435
2017-May-18, 06:07 PM
Seems to me that I get a lot more "Are you sure? (Y/N)" and similar messages when I'm trying to just shut down the bloody system so that I can attend to something else, than I do when I accidentally hit the wrong key or come up against a time limit. In the latter cases, it can shut down in record time.

gzhpcu
2017-May-18, 07:52 PM
Good thing I use Windows 98.

No not really. Can you imagine?

My Windows 10 machine did a massive update this weekend. I wonder what that could be about? Although apparently the exploit isn't present in 10 in the first place.

Either way, I did some backing up of my files to OneDrive.

Windows 10 File History application is terrible because it tells you nothing about what it's doing. Anyone know a good third party backup software?

I used to use Acronis with my Windows PC. Was happy with it....

Strange
2017-May-19, 12:15 AM
Silly user.

Don't you know to save every 5 seconds?

My last keyboard literally had the ctrl and s keys worn out. Sometimes a colleague curses because the software crashes and their last save is 3 hours old. My last save is never more than 3 minutes old, unless it's a program that takes more than 2 seconds to save. That said, a computer should never reboot without at least asking to save your work. And that said, I've personally never had a reboot that didn't ask me first. One W8 pc, one W10 pc.

My bad experiences have been with batch jobs running overnight. Eventually I found out how to kill the appropriate services and replace the executables with dummy non-executable files so the OS couldn't restart them. A truly terrible and insecure hack.

Strange
2017-May-19, 12:17 AM
I used to use Acronis with my Windows PC. Was happy with it....

I use Acronis for the one windows PC at home. It seems to work very well. Haven't had to recover anything yet but have tested mounting a backup to browse old versions of files.

gzhpcu
2017-May-21, 06:55 AM
I used to use Acronis and was happy with it.

BigDon
2017-Jun-01, 10:33 PM
Being a retired chief petty officer gives me the required skills for replying to those people. I hope I've given a few coronaries.

Wait Chief, how exactly did having a coffee cup fused with your index finger and a backside calloused from polishing the seat of a chair help in this matter?

Us junior rates would like to know!