PDA

View Full Version : Earth's climate at a 10 degree tilt

Jennifer
2005-Feb-24, 05:58 PM
College student looking for information on climate, climate zones and climate patterns if the Earth was tilted to 10 degrees.[/b]

Saluki
2005-Feb-24, 06:12 PM
Are you asking about a total tilt of 10 from the ecliptic, or if the Earth was tilted 10 more than it is currently?

In the first case, the effect would be a shrinkage of the tropical and temperate zones, accompanied by an increase in size of the arctic zones.

In the second case, it would moderate the temperatures at the equator, and broaden the tropical and temperate zones, while shrinking the artic zones.

I doubt you will find very much specific information on this, but this would be the place to find it if it exists.

John Kierein
2005-Feb-24, 08:38 PM
Here's an article that says the earth's obliquity is actually measurably decreasing. When it gets to 10 degrees from the present 23.5 degrees, the tropic and arctic zones will be small and the temperate zones huge. Probably will result in a melting of the Greenland and Antarctic ice and raising the sea level!!

http://www.agu.org/sci_soc/eischao.html

Jennifer
2005-Feb-24, 08:51 PM
Yes, I'm asking about a total tilt of 10 degrees. I presume the earth will essentially be colder. The tropic zone will significantly decrease to approx. 10 degrees north & south of the equator. The suns strongest rays at the T. of Cancer & T. of Capricorn will have a much smaller range-therefore, the areas to the north & south of this should be colder because they're not experiencing these intense rays. Is my thinking on the right track here?? I think my next step needs to be figuring out the extent of the polar & severe midlatitude climate zones since they shpuld be much larger. Any ideas how to approach this?? Thanks for any help--

Kristophe
2005-Feb-24, 09:04 PM
In the first case, the effect would be a shrinkage of the tropical and temperate zones, accompanied by an increase in size of the arctic zones.

The arctic zones would shrink, too. The arctic and antarctic circles would be at +/- 80 instead of ~+/- 67

Jennifer
2005-Feb-24, 09:22 PM
Yes, I understand that the Arctic & Antarctic circles would be at 80 degrees. I'm talking about climate zones--if the T. of Cancer & T. of Capricorn are reduced to 10 degrees north & south then the areas away from them will be colder due to a lack of inrense sunlight in the summertime...right?

Swift
2005-Feb-24, 09:24 PM
Yes, I'm asking about a total tilt of 10 degrees. I presume the earth will essentially be colder.
I don't see how the average temperature of the entire Earth would be colder as a first approximation. The amount of sunlight hitting the Earth as a whole would still be the same. There might be secondary effects because of changes in such things as reflectivity (more or less cloud cover, less snowpack) but it is beyond me to guess what the total effect of those things would be.

A Thousand Pardons
2005-Feb-25, 02:06 AM
Yes, I understand that the Arctic & Antarctic circles would be at 80 degrees. I'm talking about climate zones--if the T. of Cancer & T. of Capricorn are reduced to 10 degrees north & south then the areas away from them will be colder due to a lack of inrense sunlight in the summertime...right?
Not necessarily. You also wouldn't get the more intense winters. It'd be like constant spring or fall. Except there are interactions with the land mass and ocean distribution that moderates the climate cycle too.