PDA

View Full Version : What are the chances of this

bmpbmp
2005-Feb-24, 09:38 PM
http://www.indiadaily.com/editorial/1701.asp

Drakheim
2005-Feb-24, 10:02 PM
http://www.indiadaily.com/editorial/1701.asp

It has ‘some’ merits in it, but I have my doubts about the rest. I would argue myself, that due to Earth’s thin crust, and highly active geothermic features… That any sudden heat bloom would be seen as Earthquake Swarms, and ‘reawakening’ of old volcanoes along with the current active ones.

I am certainly no expert, but I thought that nuclear fusion reactions needed for expansion are only possible in star level masses. I mean, I know of the old ‘natural’ nuclear reactors that have been found on Earth, but even something like that on a core sized scale would have a hard time building up enough energy to cause the Earth to explode.

I also saw where they said…

There are evidences in our solar system that an extra planet did explode and caused major problems for the Earth and Mars millions of years back..

The only thing I know of that would have caused any problem on that kind of a scale, would have to have been Pre-Earth collisions from the formation of the solar system. Even the impact that created our moon would not have been strong enough to cause problems to disturb Mars much, if any.

All in all, I’d not give much thought to it. The Earth has survived for almost 5 billion years so far. There are still plenty of daily earthquakes, so we know that the plates are still very much active. It will take a lot of cooling off in the mantle to stop the plates from moving enough to worry about a sudden explosion of earthquakes and volcanoes.

Doodler
2005-Feb-24, 10:03 PM
Nonexistant. The Earth has undergone a lot more volcanism than this before, and its still here (Think this current wave of activity is bad, do a little Googling on the formation of the Great Rift Valley in Africa, THAT was some serious volcanism). I'd also love to know where they pulled their information about a planet having exploded in the past.

As far as radioactive material, this might help...

http://people.howstuffworks.com/nuclear-power5.htm

http://www.bergen.org/AAST/manhattan_proj/projects.mp/phy_trjc.html

Of natural uranium, only 0.7% is uranium 235. This meant that a large amount of uranium was needed to obtain the necessary quantities of uranium 235. Also, uranium 235 cannot be separated chemically from uranium 238, since isotopes are chemically similar.

Even if you have tons and tons of naturally occuring Uranium at the core, the fact is there's so much of it that's unsuitable to fission that the stuff that is would never accumulate in any quanitity to cause a supercritical reaction (DA BOOM!). Even if it did, the quanitity would be insignificant compared to the total mass of the core, that the idea that a core reaction could disrupt the surface approaches the ludicrous.

Unless you've got a centrifuge and a freon bath in the core (provided the core even has nuclear material to begin with), you're not looking at a nuclear explosion taking out the planet EVER.

Van Rijn
2005-Feb-24, 10:39 PM
bmpbmp, you sure seek this stuff out, don't you? Are these serious questions, or are you just looking to see what the reaction will be on these things?

Good 'ole IndiaDaily. Here's a great quote from the article:

But scientists believe the chances of that are very remote though not impossible. There are evidences in our solar system that an extra planet did explode and caused major problems for the Earth and Mars millions of years back.

What "evidences"?? What scientists? There is NO evidence that any planet in the solar system has exploded. Here are other headlines from the same page:

Similar Tsunami, Landslide and Earthquake triggered by exploding a series of programmed neutron bombs at the tectonic plate levels below the ocean: Computer Model

Chinese hesitation of manned lunar mission – are extraterrestrials and UFOs influencing China too?

Right .... This is NOT a serious news source.

Anyway, the idea that the Earth's core is a reactor is itself far from mainstream, though at least we know that natural reactors existed in the past when there was a much higher U235 ratio. An explosion is at an entirely different level. Nuclear bombs are hard. The energy required to disrupt a planet is incredible. The ratio of fissionable U235 is FAR lower now than it used to be, so any effect like this would have been more likely in the past - but the earth is still here.

Pure nonsense.
[added minor editing for spelling]

ToSeek
2005-Feb-24, 11:02 PM
After seeing numerous articles like this one, I'm convinced that India Daily is the Asian equivalent of the National Enquirer.