PDA

View Full Version : How do you react to getting older? Any story is fine but aiming for funny

Hypmotoad
2017-May-19, 02:27 AM
When I turned forty, I shaved my head. Bare head on a pillow was wonderful, can't describe it.

When turned 25, grew a beard. Was between movies working a seven-eleven when a cute girl I had seen a few times before got in a long line and continued smiling at me til she was next and then devestated me by pointing out the large glob of mustard in my beard from a hotdog I ate while store was quiet...

Suddenly beardless....

Spacedude
2017-May-19, 12:53 PM
Up until yesterday my wife and I always had to ask for senior citizen discounts. We went to Yorktown to see the new Revolutionary War museum and Expo and the very young gal at the counter gave us SC discount tickets without me even mentioning it. Funny/sad....

Swift
2017-May-19, 12:59 PM
My two expressions about getting older:

"Its not the years, its the miles."

"Its not how old you actually are, its how old you feel. By that, I'm 167."

DonM435
2017-May-19, 01:32 PM
On my 40th birthday, my Mom phoned.

In the conversation, she said that it's true that life begins at forty. What they don't tell you is that at fifty, you start to fall apart.

profloater
2017-May-19, 01:39 PM
A long time ago I was thirty something in London when a new assistant started straight from school at 17. Her mum came as chaperone to the interview. Soon she found the commute too long so she looked for a flat share (apartment share). Soon she announced she had found a nice room sharing a flat with a man. We said "What does your mum think about that?" Without pause she said "Oh it's fine, he must be at least thirty"

DaveC426913
2017-May-19, 01:44 PM
Quote from my wife:

"Your 50s are when you find out how much of your body is built on top of a swamp."

Spacedude
2017-May-19, 01:54 PM
At 25 exercise means - no pain no gain.
At 65 exercise means - pain, no gain.

Trebuchet
2017-May-19, 02:51 PM
I'm currently unhappy that our parents didn't need cataract surgery until they were in their eighties, and I'm having it when not quite seventy.

The age when I first felt bad about getting older was actually 22. Up through 21, there's always something to look forward to with coming birthdays -- going to school, going to high school, driving, drinking, voting, etc. When I hit 22 I suddenly realized the next milestone was Social Security. Unless I wanted to run for President, of course.

ETA: Now it's bothering me that I just truthfully typed "not quite seventy".

PetersCreek
2017-May-19, 03:32 PM
Old? I'm only 26...with three decades of experience. I enlisted in the USAF and became a father at 17. I was promoted to Staff Sergeant at 20 (well ahead of the curve) and began leading people older than I. At the age of 37, I became both a grandfather and a military retiree. Nowadays, every time I drive through the base gate, I'm reminded just how young I must have looked back then...except they look 12 now. I had throat surgery a few years ago and my surgeon looked to be 20, although he had to be a little older. I sometimes talk to currently serving airmen at my American Legion post, some of whom are working in aircraft maintenance as I did for the first 12 years of my career. I enjoy hearing about the newest fighters and they marvel at how our planes got off the ground, being made of sticks and mud as they were. Many have never even heard of my first jet, the A-7D Corsair II. Most are familiar with next fighters I maintained, the F-4D and F-4E Phantom II but they've only seem them on a pedestal, on static display.

Topping things off, my granddaughter (the oldest of three now) is no longer a minor. How long can it be until she makes me a GGF? But I'm kind of looking forward to another milestone: the date on which I will have been retired for 20 years, 7 months, and 4 days...the length of time I was on active duty. I might even have a party...or just a really good scotch and cigar. After that, the next stop is senior discounts. Quite some time ago, I insisted that AARP stop soliciting me, at least I'm spared that periodic nose rubbing.

Hypmotoad
2017-May-19, 03:34 PM
At 25 exercise means - no pain no gain.
At 65 exercise means - pain, no gain.

I've learned the truth of THAT.

Jim
2017-May-19, 04:09 PM
I'm reminded of Jack Benny. When asked on his birthday how old he was, he said, "39." "But you were 39 last year. You can't be 39 again." "Why not?"

PetersCreek
2017-May-19, 05:14 PM
My mother thought along similar lines. She stopped having birthdays and started observing anniversaries of her 39th birthday.

Noisy Rhysling
2017-May-19, 05:39 PM
The other day my PC physician asked me if there was any history of mental illness in my family. I replied "Both my parents had ALZ ... and come to think of it, so did my mother."

Noisy Rhysling
2017-May-19, 05:40 PM
I'm reminded of Jack Benny. When asked on his birthday how old he was, he said, "39." "But you were 39 last year. You can't be 39 again." "Why not?"

He was working on his third 39 years when he died.

Swift
2017-May-19, 07:41 PM
I had throat surgery a few years ago and my surgeon looked to be 20, although he had to be a little older.
A couple of years ago, during one of my wife's GI emergencies when she was admitted, the two GI on-call residents came up to her room once she was settled in. The young man and the young woman didn't look like their combined age was 40. I also realized that we had been dealing with her Crohn's disease for far longer than either of these two were alive.

I've been volunteering with the county park system for 29 years. For years I routinely work with staff people who have not been alive that long.

PetersCreek
2017-May-19, 08:13 PM
When I stop to think about it, it doesn't really feel like I have 36 years of combined military/civil service. I don't stop to think about it much. However, it was nice to hit the 15-year mark with the agency, which put me in the top tier for leave accrual.

Trebuchet
2017-May-19, 11:44 PM
The first time I went to a doctor older than myself was a bit of a shock. I've gotten accustomed, but it still bothers me when they look as if they should be in Junior High.

Chuck
2017-May-20, 12:49 AM
When someone points out that something I'm eating isn't good for me, I like to ask, "You mean I might die young?"

DaveC426913
2017-May-20, 01:10 AM
My mother thought along similar lines. She stopped having birthdays and started observing anniversaries of her 39th birthday.

Around these parts, that is said as: "I'm 39.95 ... plus shipping & handling."

Trebuchet
2017-May-20, 01:37 AM
The first time I went to a doctor older than myself was a bit of a shock. I've gotten accustomed, but it still bothers me when they look as if they should be in Junior High.
That should have been "doctor YOUNGER than me", obviously. I blame the error on my age.

Chuck
2017-May-20, 03:04 AM
I like to point out to teenagers that I'll start collecting social security payments at about the time they start paying taxes.

DonM435
2017-May-20, 04:06 AM
Casey Stengel ("ancient" manager of the New York Yankees) upon being fired for turning 70, said it was a mistake he'd never make again. He then mused that "Most men my age ... are dead now."

Noisy Rhysling
2017-May-20, 10:36 AM
August 17th is my 66.6th birthday. One of my cousins said "Yeah, that's a once in a lifetime thing, I bet." :rolleyes: :doh:

Trebuchet
2017-May-20, 02:46 PM
August 17th is my 66.6th birthday. One of my cousins said "Yeah, that's a once in a lifetime thing, I bet." :rolleyes: :doh:

You devil, you!

Nicolas
2017-May-22, 01:39 PM
Still on my first job, yet 2/3rds of the company works here less years than me. In 1 year, we'll hire people born in 2000. That was yesterday, wasn't it. In 4 years, we'll hire people who could be my (socially acceptable aged) children. At this age, I still feel young yet at the same time I start to realize a significant part has passed already. It is very rare that a "new" pop/movie star is older than me. It is getting common that a pop/movie star retires while younger than me.

But hey, at least I'm now part of the club that drives an oldtimer car that still is younger than its driver.

DonM435
2017-May-22, 02:29 PM
You will find that sometimes the drop-down lists on a form where you choose "Year of Birth" don't go back that far.

morose
2017-May-22, 03:33 PM

I'm OK when the doctors bring around med students so they can see what's wrong with me, but I would prefer that they not use notepads with Disney characters on the cover.

DukePaul
2017-May-22, 04:03 PM
I think on another level why I like old classic science fiction movies is that when I first watched them I was a young thing and the people in the movie were usually much older than me. Now when I watch them I still get this feeling the actors are still much older than me and I am eternally younger than them. I know that is flawed but I will take feeling youthful when ever I can.

Jim
2017-May-22, 05:24 PM
You will find that sometimes the drop-down lists on a form where you choose "Year of Birth" don't go back that far.

What's worse is when they simply provide a blank box, you type your year of birth, click Submit, and get a message, "No, seriously."

Swift
2017-May-22, 08:54 PM
:rofl:

grayson
2017-May-23, 07:18 AM
As I get older, I slowly realize that I shouldn't ask for the family sized pizza every time I crave for one. When you are old a slice of pizza = a whole freaking pizza...
how difficult is affiliate marketing (http://magentotarget.weebly.com/blog/how-difficult-is-affiliate-marketing)
affiliate marketing blog (http://magentotarget.weebly.com)

Nicolas
2017-May-23, 08:45 AM
What's worse is when they simply provide a blank box, you type your year of birth, click Submit, and get a message, "No, seriously."

You know back in the 90's some games let you answer a few world news/pop culture questions to assure you were over 12? I'm afraid that if new games would still use that approach today, I would be too old to answer the pop culture part. Which might have been part of the plan all along.

Solfe
2017-May-23, 06:41 PM
I went to school for a history degree. In several classes, "history" encompassed things that I lived. One of the more amusing topics, Bethlehem Steel's closure and the effects on Western New York. I used to read the meters there, I physically walked it.

As far as coping with age and life in general, I might have bought a puppy this year to cope. And a kayak.

The Backroad Astronomer
2017-May-23, 08:30 PM
You mean other than getting wiser and smarter, then no.

AGN Fuel
2017-May-24, 07:05 AM
My wife and I went to a small museum in a country town on the south coast of New South Wales. We both chuckled when we saw they had an exhibition of paraphernalia from the "Swinging 60's".

Our chuckles quickly stopped as we realised that many of the exhibits were the same make and model of items we had in our respective houses while growing up... at one stage I idly wondered if they had somehow found a time machine, gone back and robbed my bedroom as a 10 year old....

More disturbingly, I normally drive my daughter to the train station for Uni before driving to my job. Today she was going in late, and didn't need a lift. I have been highly distracted at work with a series of projects, but even so I was very disturbed this morning when I realised I had still driven to the station, even though my daughter wasn't in the car...... :doh:

morose
2017-May-24, 09:26 AM
when I realised I had still driven to the station, even though my daughter wasn't in the car...... :doh:

So how long did you wait for her to get out?

DonM435
2017-May-24, 12:54 PM
One morning several years ago, I drove to the hardware store which is about half a mile from my home, and upon getting there I finally noted a coffee mug which my wife had set down on a front fender. We'd been working outside the house and I had to go and get something.

I probably should have bragged about my smooth driving skills that had gotten me there through several turns and stops without dislodging the thing (it was a "traveling" item with a rubberized bottom), but I was more embarrassed at not noticing it in the first place. Steady hands, but the mind is gone!

Noisy Rhysling
2017-May-24, 01:21 PM

I'll bet she was on her phone and didn't notice they were there. (J/K)

Trebuchet
2017-May-24, 04:28 PM
My wife and I went to a small museum in a country town on the south coast of New South Wales. We both chuckled when we saw they had an exhibition of paraphernalia from the "Swinging 60's".

Our chuckles quickly stopped as we realised that many of the exhibits were the same make and model of items we had in our respective houses while growing up... at one stage I idly wondered if they had somehow found a time machine, gone back and robbed my bedroom as a 10 year old....

More disturbingly, I normally drive my daughter to the train station for Uni before driving to my job. Today she was going in late, and didn't need a lift. I have been highly distracted at work with a series of projects, but even so I was very disturbed this morning when I realised I had still driven to the station, even though my daughter wasn't in the car...... :doh:

The Jefferson County Museum here in Port Townsend has the exact model of kitchen stove from the 1950's that I grew up with. Two ovens and a built-in soup pot. My mother LOVED that thing. She presumably got it in 1952 when our house was built and kept until about 1982 when they just wouldn't repair it any more.

Chuck
2017-May-26, 03:07 AM
When the topic of death comes up, I like to say that I'm at that awkward age when I could go at any moment or linger on for decades.

AGN Fuel
2017-May-26, 03:38 AM

Well, in my defence, as a teenage girl in a car with her Dad, the level of conversation for the trip without her was exactly the same as normal so I didn't notice the difference! ;)

skysurfer5cva
2017-May-26, 05:02 AM
At my grandmother's 90th birthday party in 1996, one of the honored guests was her best friend since kindergarten. For those who don't do math, that's 85 years as best friends, which is something very few people can match.

During the party the two held the floor and told stories of their youth, past birthdays spent together, etc. My favorite anecdote was when Best Friend turned to my grandmother and asked, "Bernice, do you know how to tell you're getting old? It's when your son starts drawing Social Security."

DonM435
2017-May-26, 01:06 PM
Some fellow in town is about to observe his 100th birthday, and the local Temperance Society learns that the guy is a teetotaller, and so makes a big show of it, inviting the press, dignitaries, celebrities, et c., et c. to the man's home for a proper celebration of the rewards of clean living.

All is well, until there are loud and frightening noises coming from upstairs.

"Good gracious!" exclaims the mayor. "What's going on?"

Oh," says the Man of the Hour/Century, "that's just Dad. He's probably drunk again."

Swift
2017-May-26, 01:30 PM
The Jefferson County Museum here in Port Townsend has the exact model of kitchen stove from the 1950's that I grew up with. Two ovens and a built-in soup pot. My mother LOVED that thing. She presumably got it in 1952 when our house was built and kept until about 1982 when they just wouldn't repair it any more.
My wife and I recently went to the Smithsonian (she wanted to see Julia Child's kitchen) and in that same exhibit they had a variety of cookware, particularly post-WWII. Not only did I remember having most of it, I still have a lot of it. Fondue pot anyone?

mkline55
2017-May-26, 02:31 PM
We used to stroll through the antique malls looking for replacement parts to repair our farm machinery. Now we just use online auction sites - but still the antique sections. We'd try the dealer, but be told, "They haven't made parts for that since the sixties." We've been known to buy an entire grain drill just for the parts we needed, then after removing the parts, turn around and resell the same equipment at the next consignment auction - sometimes at a profit.

Noisy Rhysling
2017-May-26, 06:17 PM
My wife and I recently went to the Smithsonian (she wanted to see Julia Child's kitchen) and in that same exhibit they had a variety of cookware, particularly post-WWII. Not only did I remember having most of it, I still have a lot of it. Fondue pot anyone?

I got a vacuum cleaner at an auction once, back in the '80s. It looked very retro, but the belt was broken. When I looked in the box of accessories I found it lined with newspaper from 1923. Hmmmm. I called the Hoover people and asked if they had belt for Model XXXX. They did, but they also offered to buy my machine from me. The more I hem'd and haw'd the more they offered. I finally let it go for $500. It cost me $5 at the auction. Turned out they didn't have a working model of that vac in their possession.

PetersCreek
2017-May-26, 10:26 PM
Fondue pot anyone?

We have two...and of more recent vintage. Fondue made a bit of a comeback a few years ago.

swampyankee
2017-May-26, 11:34 PM
Turning 40 sucked. Now, I'll get to do it again. In hexadecimal.

Grumpy Bird
2017-May-27, 12:30 AM
My wife says "You know you're getting old when you go to bed and wake up injured."
As a corollary, I'll add it's a different body part each time.

Another thing is when you go to an exhibit of old tech and see stuff you still have.

PetersCreek
2017-May-27, 01:17 AM
Every time I get out of a chair, I grunt...even if I don't really have to.

Trebuchet
2017-May-27, 01:38 AM
You're younger than me. Stop doing that, it's my job.

swampyankee
2017-May-27, 02:14 AM

Sound effects. I'm trying to learn the Crotchety Old YankeeTM shtick that is my birthright. It's not working.:(

The Backroad Astronomer
2017-May-27, 03:05 AM
Grr getting out of set.

Spacedude
2017-May-27, 03:29 AM
Sometimes (a lot of times) I feel like Dorothy's "Tinman" when sitting too long. Need an oil can to get moving again..

The Backroad Astronomer
2017-May-27, 03:38 AM
The chair I am sitting was made for someone with shorter legs so my knees get sore a lot.

DaveC426913
2017-May-27, 04:12 AM
The chair I am sitting was made for someone with shorter legs so my needs get sore a lot.

I find my needs get more sore as I get older too. :rofl:

The Backroad Astronomer
2017-May-27, 04:25 AM
fixed and time for bed,

Noisy Rhysling
2017-May-27, 11:47 AM
Fondue pot anyone?

"So you and Stark ... fondue?"

BigDon
2017-May-30, 05:29 PM
I think on another level why I like old classic science fiction movies is that when I first watched them I was a young thing and the people in the movie were usually much older than me. Now when I watch them I still get this feeling the actors are still much older than me and I am eternally younger than them. I know that is flawed but I will take feeling youthful when ever I can.

I know that feeling, but also I've been hit with the "Mean old actress in a show is now too young to consider dating" thing.

Why just yesterday I was wondering what kind legs Miss Gulch must have from bicycling around in sand all the time...

John Mendenhall
2017-May-30, 09:51 PM
I can't remember..

Hypmotoad
2017-May-31, 01:22 PM
As I get older, I slowly realize that I shouldn't ask for the family sized pizza every time I crave for one. When you are old a slice of pizza = a whole freaking pizza...

Good one, I thought it was just me...

Noisy Rhysling
2017-May-31, 06:14 PM
Had a TIA a week ago Thursday. Two days in the hospital starting Monday and 3 AM.

I'm fine, no problems.

gzhpcu
2017-May-31, 07:28 PM
By not thinking about it, and never stop doing what I enjoy doing.... :)

Trebuchet
2017-May-31, 08:08 PM
Had a TIA a week ago Thursday. Two days in the hospital starting Monday and 3 AM.

I'm fine, no problems.

Ouch, that's scary. Are they giving you blood thinners or anything?

BigDon
2017-Jun-01, 10:27 PM
Yo Chief!

I find that rather disconcerting. Here's to your health!

Solfe
2017-Jun-01, 10:50 PM
Last Halloween, my son had some friends over. At 8:30 pm, when I would that thought 14 years old's would be gearing up to have fun, they went home. It turns out that the girl my son hangs out with had to get the car home before nine.

At about 11:30 pm, I sat bolt upright in bed and began wondering when my 14 year old started hanging out with 16 year old girls. With cars. Oh no... too soon!

BigDon
2017-Jun-06, 04:17 PM
Perspective.

That's the weird thing that keeps getting longer and longer with age.

(Okay, that sounded better in my head.)

When you have perspective you can make easy predictions youngsters can't.

Not because you've become psychic, but because you've seen it a dozen times before! Whatever it is! It doesn't matter!

Noclevername
2017-Jun-07, 01:51 AM
I don't really find getting older funny. I wish someone could figure out life extension or rejuvenation before I die.

(Not likely, and I couldn't afford it, and I don't even do the basics-- eat right and exercise-- at present.)

BigDon
2017-Jun-07, 03:54 PM
I just remembered my kindergarten teachers names. Mrs. Seacap, Mrs. Barney and Miss Rose.

I had three because Mrs. Seacap passed away unexpectedly, Mrs. Barney was the temp replacement, and Miss Rose was the permanent replacement.

Miss Rose was later on my first grade teacher. Mrs. Reno was my second grade teacher and Miss Garcia was my third grade teacher.

I'm amazed I remembered all that kindergarten stuff. 1966 seems like a long time ago. Isn't that the year Astrotimer graduated?

The Backroad Astronomer
2017-Jun-07, 03:58 PM
astrotimer wasn't born for another 10 years.

BigDon
2017-Jun-07, 04:06 PM
First kiss, 1970. Beth Leduc.

DonM435
2017-Jun-07, 05:53 PM
I just remembered my kindergarten teachers names. ... Mrs. Barney ...

Wow! A dinosaur!

BigDon
2017-Jun-21, 06:10 PM
Ah! Getting old enough to have seen the improbable, sometimes more than once.

Some good, some bad. Some so out there I can't post them here.

BigDon
2017-Jun-27, 05:05 PM
My main issue with this thread is I'll start to write something, put in a few header sentences, and then reconsider what I was about to say.

The reason most of what I posted here looks truncated.

R.A.F.
2017-Jun-27, 08:04 PM
When I turned forty, I shaved my head. Bare head on a pillow was wonderful, can't describe it.

Hmmm...when I turned 60, I started shaving my head.

...and I'll never quit it. For me, the sensation of a freshly shaved head is like a renewal...a newness, a freshness, that over the last few years has become addictive.

....and like you, it is a little hard to describe.

R.A.F.
2017-Jun-27, 08:09 PM
I'm currently unhappy that our parents didn't need cataract surgery until they were in their eighties, and I'm having it when not quite seventy.

My Wife has got you beat on that one...she had cataract surgery when she was 55.

Now when the light catches her eye at the right angle, it shines like a terminator.

Jim
2017-Jun-28, 12:04 PM
My main issue with this thread is I'll start to write something, put in a few header sentences, and then reconsider what I was about to say. ...

"Reconsider" is better than "forget."

Jim
2017-Jun-28, 12:07 PM
... Now when the light catches her eye at the right angle, it shines like a terminator.

There was an interview on the BBC with a man who lost one eye when he was a child. He was fitted with a prosthesis. When he reached adulthood, he had a miniature video camera inserted into it, so he could record what saw. He also had a second one made that looked like a camera lens with a glowing red light in it, just to freak people out.

R.A.F.
2017-Jun-28, 02:06 PM
He also had a second one made that looked like a camera lens with a glowing red light in it, just to freak people out.

That certainly is freaky.

Solfe
2017-Jun-28, 03:39 PM
I mocked a friend for receiving a record player as a gift. Twenty+ years later, I've had countless music playing devices and he has the same record player with an incredible library of music built up over the past couple of decades.

One of us is cool and the other is not.

Noclevername
2017-Jun-28, 05:10 PM
There was an interview on the BBC with a man who lost one eye when he was a child. He was fitted with a prosthesis. When he reached adulthood, he had a miniature video camera inserted into it, so he could record what saw. He also had a second one made that looked like a camera lens with a glowing red light in it, just to freak people out.

Does he wear black leather and talk about assimilation? Or is he looking for Sarah Connor?

R.A.F.
2017-Jun-30, 01:14 PM
....he has the same record player with an incredible library of music built up over the past couple of decades.

Sounds familiar. A few years back, I invested in a high end turntable in order to transfer my record collection (350+ albums) to CD.

This last year, I converted all those CD's to a micro SD card which I play on my tablet. (and connecting the tablet to main system allows complete access to all my music all the time.)

...and all that is essentially moot, since I just subscribed to a online music service, delivering more music than I could ever listen to...

So, I'm slowly but surely progressing into the 21st century.

Solfe
2017-Jun-30, 10:26 PM
Sounds familiar. A few years back, I invested in a high end turntable in order to transfer my record collection (350+ albums) to CD.

This last year, I converted all those CD's to a micro SD card which I play on my tablet. (and connecting the tablet to main system allows complete access to all my music all the time.)

...and all that is essentially moot, since I just subscribed to a online music service, delivering more music than I could ever listen to...

So, I'm slowly but surely progressing into the 21st century.

What factors into the coolness is my friend has a wine rack built into his wall to hold up his record collection and turn table. It is rather nifty.

BigDon
2017-Jul-05, 06:20 PM
Ah, here's one that will get you if you're not being careful. Especially at family gatherings.

Subject was brought up of a woman a friend of mine married...and that's basically the last we ever saw of him.

All the kids were in bed and I was about to say something dreadful because I was mad and that part of my brain that kept me alive on the flightdeck by noticing stuff before I did threw the brakes on my jaw muscles.

Then I noticed that one of the listeners was this woman's daughter. All grown up in her early twenties and quite charming. Along with her two first cousins.

That would have been seriously messed up on my part and somehow made my saving throw versus foot in mouth. Thereby maintaining my status as a "colorful old man" as opposed to "vulgar old creep".

Noisy Rhysling
2017-Jul-05, 07:05 PM
Anyone else celebrating hair loss? I shave my head and the less acreage I have to deal with the better.

reject
2017-Jul-05, 11:56 PM
as opposed to "vulgar old creep".

I didn't notice this until after registering and choosing my username :(

Chuck
2017-Jul-06, 01:22 AM
I still have a full head of hair but it's a little thin in the front now. It's also mostly gray.

My ATM card is now good for another four years. I get to tell people that I might expire before it does.

Trebuchet
2017-Jul-06, 02:17 AM
Anyone else celebrating hair loss? I shave my head and the less acreage I have to deal with the better.
I've been "celebrating" it for nearly 50 years now. I can't imagine I'd shave what's left on my head any more often than I do my face so would look even worse

Nicolas
2017-Jul-06, 07:23 AM
Shaving your head? My head shaves itself. Permanently. The only thing that bothers me about that is that I'm now supposed to act the age I appear to be.

The Backroad Astronomer
2017-Jul-06, 08:01 AM
I probably don't have to worry about that, right after my grandfather had Chemo and lost his hair grew back fairly soon afterwards.

Noclevername
2017-Jul-06, 09:53 AM
I have a head full of scalp. But at least I don't do the comb-over.

swampyankee
2017-Jul-06, 10:41 AM
Has anyone else noticed grey hair grows faster?

Nicolas
2017-Jul-06, 12:13 PM
But at least I don't do the comb-over.

That's what they all say.

The Backroad Astronomer
2017-Jul-06, 12:22 PM
I have a head full of scalp. But at least I don't do the comb-over.
better yet no man bun.

DonM435
2017-Jul-06, 12:37 PM
Has anyone else noticed grey hair grows faster?

Gray hair is hereditary.

You get it from your children.

reject
2017-Jul-06, 02:19 PM
I probably don't have to worry about that, right after my grandfather had Chemo and lost his hair grew back fairly soon afterwards.

Was this your mother's father?

BigDon
2017-Jul-06, 02:21 PM
Hair loss is probably not going to be a problem for me until I'm much older. My older brother is in his sixties and still has most of his.

swampyankee
2017-Jul-06, 03:55 PM
Hair loss is probably not going to be a problem for me until I'm much older. My older brother is in his sixties and still has most of his.

I'm in my sixties, and have most of mine.

It's just grey.

Noisy Rhysling
2017-Jul-06, 05:08 PM
I don't know about my follicle heritage. The Y-donor was five years younger than I am now when he finally proved the doctors knew more about diabetes than he did.

Chuck
2017-Jul-07, 08:21 PM
Have I changed much in 30 years?

http://chuckgaydos.homestead.com/files/around35.jpghttp://chuckgaydos.homestead.com/files/around65.jpg

Hornblower
2017-Jul-07, 09:54 PM
I start feeling dated when I see antique license plates on cars that were new well into my adulthood. An extreme case is a Ford Granada, about 40 years old, parked on the street a block or so from my home. It is now a shell of rusting junk, and the inspection sticker is expired going on seven years. It has not been moved for at least a few months, maybe more.

Hypmotoad
2017-Jul-07, 11:23 PM
I got a vacuum cleaner at an auction once, back in the '80s. It looked very retro, but the belt was broken. When I looked in the box of accessories I found it lined with newspaper from 1923. Hmmmm. I called the Hoover people and asked if they had belt for Model XXXX. They did, but they also offered to buy my machine from me. The more I hem'd and haw'd the more they offered. I finally let it go for $500. It cost me $5 at the auction. Turned out they didn't have a working model of that vac in their possession.

Nice job!

Hypmotoad
2017-Jul-07, 11:30 PM
I just remembered my kindergarten teachers names. Mrs. Seacap, Mrs. Barney and Miss Rose.

I had three because Mrs. Seacap passed away unexpectedly, Mrs. Barney was the temp replacement, and Miss Rose was the permanent replacement.

Miss Rose was later on my first grade teacher. Mrs. Reno was my second grade teacher and Miss Garcia was my third grade teacher.

I'm amazed I remembered all that kindergarten stuff. 1966 seems like a long time ago. Isn't that the year Astrotimer graduated?

Good lord, I barely remember what I had for breakfast.

Trebuchet
2017-Jul-07, 11:45 PM
I believe my first grade teacher was Mrs. Allman. She had to take the last couple of weeks of the term off to have a baby. My second grade teacher was, I think, a Mrs. Ackerman. She was a bit nasty. From there on pretty much right through high school I don't remember any teachers.

And I'm now feeling a bit weird because most of them are probably dead.

Hair: I don't really have more on my upper lip than on the rest of my head, but it's not too far off.

The Backroad Astronomer
2017-Jul-08, 12:34 AM
Now I feel bad for going to get someone to remove some of my hair.

Noclevername
2017-Jul-08, 03:46 AM
Have I changed much in 30 years?

It's the glasses! You definitely got new glasses.

Chuck
2017-Jul-08, 04:01 AM
Yeah, but those thinner frames make me look old.

reject
2017-Jul-08, 05:05 AM
The Rent-a-Chucks do take a lot of abuse.

Noisy Rhysling
2017-Jul-08, 10:40 AM
Good lord, I barely remember what I had for breakfast.

"Gluten-free waffles."

"Oh, yeah." /obscure

The Backroad Astronomer
2017-Jul-08, 11:02 AM
So either you watch "Whose line is it anyway?".

swampyankee
2017-Jul-09, 12:55 AM
I will soon be turning 40, base 16. This way I can retire before I'm 50.

Chuck
2017-Jul-09, 02:36 AM
I turned 35 Martian years old a few days ago.

Noisy Rhysling
2017-Jul-09, 11:19 AM
So either you watch "Whose line is it anyway?".

Wouldn't know where to look for it. That game's nearly as old as I am. ;-)

swampyankee
2017-Jul-09, 11:34 AM

The CW network may be airing it.

profloater
2017-Jul-09, 11:39 AM
i wanted to show my grandchildren an isinglass garden and was amazed to find, unlike last time I did that, the corner store has no idea what isinglass is! How do people store eggs these days?

Noisy Rhysling
2017-Jul-09, 11:55 AM
The CW network may be airing it.

That's fine. (Barely know what "CW" is.) Now if someone's airing "QI" I'd be interested.

Cougar
2017-Jul-09, 08:19 PM
I'm in my sixties, and have most of mine.

Same here. But I grow it semi-long and color it. Medium neutral blond. Looks great. :)

swampyankee
2017-Jul-10, 01:41 AM
Same here. But I grow it semi-long and color it. Medium neutral blond. Looks great. :)

I'm too vain to color my hair.

Or feel it to be in vain.

Solfe
2017-Jul-10, 01:45 AM
I have little hair and new glasses. If anything else changes, it will have to be a Groucho nose to go with the glasses.

The Backroad Astronomer
2017-Jul-10, 01:47 AM
There is a station here called makeful that airs it two ay 1pm every weekday. It is the cw one only main difference no Drew Carey but Alisha Tyler hosts it.

The Backroad Astronomer
2017-Jul-10, 01:47 AM
the do have episodes QI on youtube,

Noisy Rhysling
2017-Jul-10, 12:03 PM
There is a station here called makeful that airs it two ay 1pm every weekday. It is the cw one only main difference no Drew Carey but Alisha Tyler hosts it.

I avoid TV with commercials.

Noisy Rhysling
2017-Jul-10, 12:33 PM
This has been a hair-razing thread so far.