PDA

View Full Version : History Channel UFO Series

Jim
2017-May-26, 04:41 PM
Well, at least it's not NAZIs.

History has given a 10-episode straight-to-series order to UFO drama Blue Book ...

http://deadline.com/2017/05/robert-zemeckis-produced-ufo-drama-blue-book-series-order-history-1202102402/

Spacedude
2017-May-26, 04:57 PM
Hopefully the series will stick to the facts, examine the evidence of each selected case, and not drift off into sensationalism for dramatic effect. No date was given for the airing of the series, guessing this fall?

schlaugh
2017-May-26, 05:03 PM
Well, it looks like a dramatization of Project Blue Book. *sniff* We shall see.

Blue Book chronicles the true top secret U.S. Air Force-sponsored investigations into UFO-related phenomena in the 1950s and ’60s, known as “Project Blue Book.” The series follows Dr. J. Allen Hynek, a brilliant college professor recruited by the U.S. Air Force to spearhead this *clandestine operation that researched thousands of cases, many of which were never solved. Each episode will draw from the actual files, blending UFO theories with authentic historical events from one of the most mysterious eras in United States history.

*Clandestine? I thought Project Blue Book was a well-known effort, even when it was running in the 1950s and early 1960s.

KaiYeves
2017-May-26, 05:33 PM
A scripted series about Project Blue Book? Wouldn't that basically be a revival of this (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_U.F.O.)? Except, you know, in HD and with blood and swearing because this is the 2010s?

Spacedude
2017-May-26, 06:05 PM
That old ufo tv series tried to emulate the flavor of Dragnet, too over the top and cheesy.

Noisy Rhysling
2017-May-26, 06:18 PM
I bought the Blue Book when it hit the shelves back in the '60s. BORRIINNGG. Even "X Files" was more interesting.

publiusr
2017-May-26, 08:15 PM
I liked the Project UFO series myself.
http://space1970.blogspot.com/2011/03/project-ufo-1978.html

If I had to do a sci-fi series on a first contact--I might have some spooks looking at the Teton even (great daylight fireball) as the reason the shuttle-orbiter payload bay was made larger--not the KH-11 or Hexagon.

I'd like to see some CGI footage made to look dated. A Titan III launches an upper stage with a claw--a bracewell probe retrieval mission like ARM.

This brings the probe back, where an orbiter snags it and brings it down to Edwards Air Force Base.

No aliens, just an odd probe.

DukePaul
2017-May-27, 09:38 PM
Whenever I see the phrase "based on the event or incident" then I know the writers can use anything that works and leave out anything that doesn't so that the viewers will stay on for the advertising break.

KaiYeves
2017-May-27, 09:46 PM
Whenever I see the phrase "based on the event or incident" then I know the writers can use anything that works and leave out anything that doesn't so that the viewers will stay on for the advertising break.

Mysteries at the Museum on Travel Channel is kind of like that-- introduce a topic, hype up an intriguing but ultimately false theory, go to commercial, come back, give the real explanation briefly, on to the next topic... And they hardly ever have any sort of connection between the topics at all, except the Halloween episodes where the theme is them all being "scary".

CJSF
2017-May-28, 01:03 AM
I haven't watched the last few seasons of Mysteries at the Museum. I thought they did a rather good job of debunking after the hype, for the episodes I have watched. If they've skimped on that for advertising and audience, then shame, shame.

CJSF

KaiYeves
2017-May-28, 02:41 AM
I haven't watched the last few seasons of Mysteries at the Museum. I thought they did a rather good job of debunking after the hype, for the episodes I have watched. If they've skimped on that for advertising and audience, then shame, shame.

CJSF

They do debunk it, they just hype the legend up a lot first and make the debunking short, and split it up based on commercials like I described, and that rubs me the wrong way. For example, in an episode I watched that featured the supposed "dog suicide bridge" in Scotland (https://skeptoid.com/episodes/4320), they discussed the legend that the bridge was haunted, showed an actress dressed as a ghost walking across it in double exposure, went to commercial, and then after the break explained that dogs had probably been jumping off the bridge because they smelled minks and showed skulls of minks discovered under the bridge.

DaveC426913
2017-May-28, 05:41 AM
If the purpose of the show is - at least in part and in principle - to help people rationalize and explain this strange world, then it makes sense to first "hype it up".

The mysteries we often experience are very real and detailed (for those who experience them). We get freaked out by something we can't explain (say, a freaky night in a scary castle), count up the freaky things, and feel emotional about it. And, if we're lucky, in the morning, a cooler head prevails and we reach a calm, considered conclusion.

So the show's narrative is essentially: has this kind of weird thing happened to you or someone you know? It seemed really real, didn't it? All those things that led you to wonder if the castle really was inhabited by some dead spirit..

We are now empathizing with the story. And then they calmly dismantle it.

So now, we go out into the world, we experience something freaky and react viscerally to it, but we know, with careful consideration and some smarts, how to dismantle the experience. We've turned from flighty superstitutors into rational skeptics.

That's the basis of an entertaining and informative show. It's not a listing of facts; it's a journey - through mystery to clarity.

Solfe
2017-May-28, 06:27 AM
Wasn't there a 60's or 70's TV show about Project Blue Book? I want to say it was a docudrama series. I strongly recall an episode where people saw silver Mylar balloons and believed they were aliens. The implication was, at a distance they couldn't correctly identify them. Worse, the balloons hit the window where the observing family was and they seemed to believe their own distorted reflections were aliens.

At the time, it scared the heck out of me. Thinking back, even as a docudrama, everything about it was ludicrous.

(I saw the link to Project U.F.O., it doesn't look like the show I am thinking of. Perhaps I am wrong.)

Noisy Rhysling
2017-May-28, 11:33 AM

http://deadline.com/2017/05/robert-zemeckis-produced-ufo-drama-blue-book-series-order-history-1202102402/
This is why I call it "the HyFy Channel" now.

DaveC426913
2017-May-28, 02:35 PM
I strongly recall an episode where people saw silver Mylar balloons and believed they were aliens. The implication was, at a distance they couldn't correctly identify them. Worse, the balloons hit the window where the observing family was and they seemed to believe their own distorted reflections were aliens.

Wow. That is a serious reach.

The balloons just drifted right up to the window? And the family saw their own reflections? If you saw that scene in a film, you'd get a belly-laugh.

Solfe
2017-May-28, 04:12 PM
Wow. That is a serious reach.

The balloons just drifted right up to the window? And the family saw their own reflections? If you saw that scene in a film, you'd get a belly-laugh.

Yeah, it was that kind of show. But I was young and the distorted faces scared the heck out of me. Even thinking it through now and laughing, I still have to say the imagery was traumatizing.

Spacedude
2017-May-28, 04:40 PM
As mentioned earlier the 40+ year old tv series Project UFO had a script style similar to the series Dragnet. Two Air Force investigators who were roughly based on the characters Joe Friday and his sidekick. It began as "Just the facts ma'am", but over time the series drifted, esp during the 2nd season trying more to be entertaining rather than fact checking. Hopefully this new upcoming series will do exactly what it claims, be more documentary, follow the investigations of Dr. Hynek down to the letter, and not become overtly melodramatic. Hynek was a total skeptic at first but after interviewing hundreds of witnesses he became convinced that some reports were not so easily explained away and much more relevant than just clouds, shooting stars, blimps, ball lightning, or other natural or manmade objects. So I say to the producers - Just the Facts (please) Ma'am!

DaveC426913
2017-May-29, 03:20 PM
So I say to the producers - Just the Facts (please) Ma'am!

I suspect their response will be:

You want just facts, that's what a library is for.
TV is a medium of entertainment. ;)

Spacedude
2017-May-29, 05:03 PM
I suspect their response will be:
You want just facts, that's what a library is for.
TV is a medium of entertainment.

Yeah, I suspect the same. History (aka History Channel) should know better. Guess we'll see in a few months which direction they go.

KaiYeves
2017-May-30, 01:31 AM

I know it's the running joke and it was true around the turn of the millennium, but do they even have that many programs about Nazis on the History Channel anymore?

The Backroad Astronomer
2017-May-30, 02:04 AM
I thought it was the picking and pawning network.

DukePaul
2017-May-30, 02:14 PM
I'm sure there will be a finale show where Mountain Monster Hunters will search for Hitler in the Black Forest.

Spacedude
2017-May-30, 02:56 PM
It's a wonder that the Mountain Monster Hunters haven't shot each other, the cameramen probably have a "blanks only" clause in their contract.

BigDon
2017-May-30, 08:37 PM
God I hate this show.

I have to hear about it from folks I thought had a decent 60's through 70's education.

SkepticJ
2017-May-30, 09:08 PM
I know it's the running joke and it was true around the turn of the millennium, but do they even have that many programs about Nazis on the History Channel anymore?

Not as much as they used to, but they still do to a degree above what strictly makes sense.

The Backroad Astronomer
2017-May-30, 09:10 PM
The Guy I work at the auction company was really into oak island and how it was tied to the Templars and the masons.

CJSF
2017-May-30, 09:16 PM
The Oak Island shows are entertaining (to me) in some respects. I like that they are digging to find out what's there, based on various published documents. When they veer too far over into the Templars and other nonsense, I roll my eyes and tune out for those segments of the show. Now, on the whole of it I think they're wasting their time. The site's been worked over so many times with almost no surveying or proper archaeological documentation that they have no baseline to compare their finds to, making them almost useless, scientifically.

CJSF

SkepticJ
2017-May-30, 09:20 PM
I'm sure there will be a finale show where Mountain Monster Hunters will search for Hitler in the Black Forest.

Specifically, Hitler the occult-magic-practicing, time-traveling, omnipotent ancient astronaut reptiloid, who built and then sank Atlantis, the head of the Illuminati, the true killer of JFK, the hoaxer of the Apollo moon landings, and the reason why Michael Bay gets to keep making movies.

SkepticJ
2017-May-30, 09:35 PM
The Oak Island shows are entertaining (to me) in some respects. I like that they are digging to find out what's there, based on various published documents. When they veer too far over into the Templars and other nonsense, I roll my eyes and tune out for those segments of the show. Now, on the whole of it I think they're wasting their time. The site's been worked over so many times with almost no surveying or proper archaeological documentation that they have no baseline to compare their finds to, making them almost useless, scientifically.

CJSF

Have they actually found anything? Anything at all?

The whole thing is moronic. Who would bury treasure that deep? As long as no one knows where it is, grave-depth is good enough. What good is burying treasure like that? Pirates didn't bury their stolen treasure, not long-term anyway, they spent it.

schlaugh
2017-May-30, 09:51 PM
Have they actually found anything? Anything at all?

If they find something then the show is over. Can't let that happen!

CJSF
2017-May-30, 10:50 PM
Evidence of a Spanish Galleon in the Swamp, artifacts of a pre-revolutionary British presence in line with their earlier research. Other "mundane" but cool mainstream historical artifacts.

CJSF

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

The Backroad Astronomer
2017-May-30, 11:03 PM

CJSF
The treasure probably has been found and spent a long time ago.

When the masons are made into the super secret bad guys who plot murders and such, I get a little upset because I have had family members in a couple different lodges. Mostly the just do charity works.

Noisy Rhysling
2017-May-31, 02:44 AM
Television is a medium for making money. Prostituting EVERYTHING abets that goal.

CJSF
2017-May-31, 09:59 AM
The treasure probably has been found and spent a long time ago.

When the masons are made into the super secret bad guys who plot murders and such, I get a little upset because I have had family members in a couple different lodges. Mostly the just do charity works.

I quite agree, and maybe I get a perverse thrill in watching those parts and huffing and puffing at them. It does make the show somewhat maddening. The Laginas genuinely seem interested in finding whatever is "really" there, for the most part, then they delve into these preconceived notions and conspiracy theories and other fanciful notions and it all becomes too much not to ridicule and scoff at. Up through this last season of the show, that's been entertaining for me.

But this thread isn't about Oak Island, so let's leave it be.

CJSF

Spacedude
2018-Sep-05, 01:59 PM
Jim, it's been over a year since we first started posting about it but here's a recent trailer for the upcoming Blue Book series, it's now being promoted on the History Channel.....

https://www.cnet.com/news/project-blue-book-trailer-goes-all-in-on-ufos-for-history/

Spacedude
2018-Dec-17, 02:56 PM
Keep your eyes open, be an eye witness, watch the series start up on Jan 8th.

Spacedude
2019-Jan-08, 02:57 PM
The day we've all been waiting for has finally arrived.....well, maybe me and perhaps Jim ;-)
10pm EDT tonight. After viewing some previews and checking the on line Bluebook info it appears that the first episode entitled "The Fuller Dog Fight" is most likely based upon the "Gorman Dogfight" back in 1948 (names changed to protect the innocent?). Dr Hynek will be played by Aidan Gillen of The Wire and who also starred in Game of Thrones as Little Finger.

The show (10 episodes in all) is listed as a "drama", so it's not a documentary nor a docudrama though it's story line is based on the Bluebook files. Spoiler Alert --- The BB investigation determined that the dogfight was with a (you guessed it) weather balloon. But at least it's not about nazies as Jim pointed out. The series will follow Hynek over the years as his skeptical beginnings evolve into doubts about his job as being a PR rep and debunker for the Air Force. The show more than likely employ sensationalism, melodrama, and be a cross between The X Files and Dragnet. Enjoy.

Roger E. Moore
2019-Jan-08, 03:06 PM
Won't be able to see the series, alas, but did look up the Gorman Dogfight and the related Mantell Incident on Wikipedia. I used to work at Fort Knox and drove past the airfield where Cpt. Mantell took off on his last flight.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorman_dogfight

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantell_UFO_incident