PDA

View Full Version : Story of a circuit board

Paul Beardsley
2005-Feb-25, 12:56 PM
I joined an engineering company in the Summer of 1997. Later that year, or possibly early in 1998, my boss gave me a circuit board, about 12 inches by 15, with loads of components on it, and asked me to do something with it.

What did he ask me to do? I can't remember. I was working on something else, and I wasn't listening properly.

When I was finished doing the other task, I looked at the board and
thought, "What do I do with this?" I didn't want to ask the boss, because he'd be annoyed at having to tell me all over again. So I just stuffed the board into the space between my block of drawers and my desktop. Every now and then I would get it out and look at it, hoping I'd remember what I was meant to do with it. As time went on, I dreaded the thought of asking my boss what I was supposed to do with this board, because he'd be furious that I'd left it so long before asking him.

After a year or so we moved from our office to another part of the site, into a former stately home with a view across fields down to the sea. It was a lovely place to work. Somehow I managed to get this circuit board
transferred to a space between the drawer-block and desktop in the new location. I don't know how I managed that because I was actually off sick during the move.

Every now and then the board surfaced for some reason. I would look at it, feel guilty, then quickly hide it again. There was no way I could admit to the boss that I'd done nothing with it - and for that matter prevented anybody else from doing anything with it!

Then in February 2002 I was called into an office to be told I was to be made redundant. This was an indirect result of 9/11 - we'd lost so much business that a lot of staff had to be let go. I was one of them, and I was devastated. It was a really traumatic period of my life. In an effort to leave on good terms, I went around all my colleagues, shook their hands and said my farewells. A lot of them were very upset too as I got on well with them.

I then got on my bike and cycled home. But the funny thing is, underneath the trauma, there was a flicker of wonderful relief. I was never, ever going to have to account for that circuit board!

I take delight in that even now. The moral to the story is, some things really do stay in the past; some things are incapable of coming back to bite you.

Candy
2005-Feb-25, 01:35 PM
The moral to the story is, some things really do stay in the past; some things are incapable of coming back to bite you.
Seems some things bite (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=16568&highlight=) you when you least expect it. :wink:

um3k
2005-Feb-27, 03:55 PM
But now you've got me wanting to know what the circuit board is for! :cry:

Kristophe
2005-Feb-27, 04:10 PM

Yeah, me too. This is going to haunt me for the rest of my days. Thanks.

Paul Beardsley
2005-Feb-27, 05:30 PM
Candy - thanks for the reminder! Somehow though I don't think a circuit board is going to grab me by the toes when I'm walking along the sea shore... but stranger things have happened.

Kristophe and um3k - try as you might, you are not going to make me feel guilty - it's a part of my past I have let go. :wink: But it was probably to do with converting TV standards. Or maybe something that suppressed video noise. But I'm absolutely certain that it had nothing to do with the failure of Beagle 2. Well, fairly certain...

Lance
2005-Feb-27, 05:37 PM
Kristophe and um3k - try as you might, you are not going to make me feel guilty

Well then, how about:

"The analysis of the circuit board may have provided the ideas needed to save the company and all the lost jobs."

Would that make you feel guilty? Not that I think it's a contest of course.

Paul Beardsley
2005-Feb-27, 07:12 PM
Well then, how about:

"The analysis of the circuit board may have provided the ideas needed to save the company and all the lost jobs."

Yeah, and they'd have given it to me to analyse? :D

Would that make you feel guilty? Not that I think it's a contest of course.

If it was remotely conceivable. Well, obviously it is conceivable or you wouldn't have conceived it...

tlbs101
2005-Feb-27, 11:20 PM
So that's what happened to the controller board I sent out for repair 8 years ago.

j/k :lol:

enginelessjohn
2005-Feb-28, 09:23 AM
Whenever I get a bit of circuitry that I can't figure out / remember/ be bothered to do anything with it gets assigned the role of "keeping dust off that patch of my desk"

It now has an important role and I no longer need to worry about it.... :D

Cheers
John

mickal555
2005-Feb-28, 09:42 AM
Same.. this is driving me nuts...