PDA

View Full Version : Lunar X - June 1

Centaur
2017-May-31, 02:39 PM
The Lunar X should be seen by observers in the Americas during the late afternoon and early evening of Thursday 2017 JUN 01 for an approximately four-hour period centered on 18:28 CDT (23:28 UT). For Europeans that would be the middle to the night. The X should appear as the Sun rises on the clustered rims of the craters Blanchinus, La Caille and Purbach while a waxing Half Moon graces the sky.

My timetable for when the lunar terminator will be crossing select lunar features including rayed craters can be found at www.CurtRenz.com/moon.html

Photos and descriptions of the Lunar X would be welcome additions to this thread.

Hornblower
2017-Jun-02, 12:45 AM
19:53 EDT

Fuji FinePix S5200 compact digital camera looking handheld through Celestron 8 at 77x. The 10X zoom lens on the camera was in widest angle setting. Attempts at zooming in not successful because of optical geometry which caused prohibitive vignetting. ISO 400. Image is erect but mirror reversed because of diagonal on telescope.

schlaugh
2017-Jun-02, 12:50 AM
Well spotted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

publiusr
2017-Jun-02, 09:29 PM

Fuji FinePix S5200 compact digital camera looking handheld through Celestron 8 at 77x. The 10X zoom lens on the camera was in widest angle setting. Attempts at zooming in not successful because of optical geometry which caused prohibitive vignetting. ISO 400. Image is erect but mirror reversed because of diagonal on telescope.

I'd like to see a book on different artifacts caused by different cameras for special effects use--UFO explanations, etc.

Centaur
2017-Jun-03, 12:40 AM

Cool! You caught it. Thanks for sharing. :clap:

Swift
2017-Jun-05, 12:54 AM
I'd like to see a book on different artifacts caused by different cameras for special effects use--UFO explanations, etc.
publiusr

This post seems to have little to nothing to do with the topic of this thread. If you wish to discuss such things, start your own thread.