PDA

View Full Version : Self-replicating automated lunar base

Simon
2002-Jul-08, 04:00 PM
http://www.islandone.org/MMSG/aasm/

I'm afraid I haven't gotten a chance to read all of the way through this (I promise I will later), but it seems pretty comprehensive. So, why haven't we done this yet?

David Hall
2002-Jul-08, 04:16 PM
$, $, $, $, lack of public interest, $

(Just a WAG though)

2002-Jul-08, 05:42 PM
<a name="20020708.9:3"> page 20020708.9:3 aka 4rad4
On 2002-07-08 12:16, David Hall wrote: To: 9:35 A.M. PST
$, $, $, $, lack of public int $ 9:36 A.M. not sure of fit?
1:27]July ? 2002
2:28]Rem ? Rad ?
3:29]Astral trave
4:30]2RAD2 0 HUb'
5:hapter 1 (p10 of 40) i began at #113 {see Link below}? 9:40 A.M.
6:NASA's Advanced Automation for Space Missions: Chapter
http://www.islandone.org/MMSG/aasm/AASM1.html#113

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HUb' on 2002-07-08 13:44 ]</font>

TinFoilHat
2002-Jul-08, 08:23 PM
There's a huge difference between a concept on paper and working hardware. There's a lot of technology that would have to be developed before this could be built.

Part of the problem is that lunar soil is nothing special, metallurgically. It's mostly poor-grade light element crap - you can find better metal concentrations in rejected tailings from mines on Earth than by randomly scraping up lunar topsoil. So there's really not much incentive to go developing a revolutionary self-replicating mining robot just to go mining the moon. And there's not much inventive to develop self-replicating robots for mining the Earth when people are cheap and plentiful, and can be produced with unskilled labor.

Phobos
2002-Jul-08, 11:37 PM
On 2002-07-08 16:23, TinFoilHat wrote:
There's a huge difference between a concept on paper and working hardware. There's a lot of technology that would have to be developed before this could be built.

Part of the problem is that lunar soil is nothing special, metallurgically. It's mostly poor-grade light element crap - you can find better metal concentrations in rejected tailings from mines on Earth than by randomly scraping up lunar topsoil. So there's really not much incentive to go developing a revolutionary self-replicating mining robot just to go mining the moon. And there's not much inventive to develop self-replicating robots for mining the Earth when people are cheap and plentiful, and can be produced with unskilled labor.

Yes there is !!!

The cost to transport objects from the surface of the Earth is HUGE. In time it may come down but for now anything that can be built on the moon could save us a lot of money.

Phobos

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Phobos on 2002-07-08 19:38 ]</font>

roidspop
2002-Jul-09, 04:11 AM
All that low-grade stuff can support some really important efforts in building SPS and colonies. I think we may see the Chinese doing this before the end of the century, but I can't imagine that we'll have the game for it.