PDA

View Full Version : How long will the Universe exist?

Human
2005-Feb-27, 01:00 PM
For about how long will the Universe exist from now on?

I am wondering if you are worried that the Universe will cease to exist very soon. I think it will not take much time before the Universe will cease to exist, because we have so many things to be worried about.
Let me know what you think.

Edit: When I say cease to exist, I mean that the Universe will be destroyed of something. I just thought I could point that out.

R.A.F.
2005-Feb-27, 01:38 PM
I think it will not take much time before the Universe will cease to exist, because we have so many things to be worried about.

So if we "worry less", the Universe won't be "destroyed or something"?

Human
2005-Feb-27, 01:49 PM
I think it will not take much time before the Universe will cease to exist, because we have so many things to be worried about.

So if we "worry less", the Universe won't be "destroyed or something"?

I don't think you understood my point. :-? There is so many dangers out there, so something of it may happen. It has nothing to do with worrying, but it simply may happen sometime.

Kaptain K
2005-Feb-27, 02:01 PM
I voted "other", since the only possible answer is "until the end of time"! :oops:

R.A.F.
2005-Feb-27, 02:05 PM
I don't think you understood my point.

You're right, I didn't. :oops:

There is so many dangers out there, so something of it may happen. It has nothing to do with worrying, but it simply may happen sometime.

From my point of view, sometime is quite a ways away. I worry more about being hit by a drunk driver than about things of this nature.

collegeguy
2005-Feb-27, 03:59 PM
Can you specify some dangers the universe is facing? Maybe I would understand your question better like that.

aurora
2005-Feb-27, 04:07 PM
When you say "universe", do you mean either "earth" or "humans"?

I ask because I cannot conceive of anything that would destroy the universe, although I can think of scenarios that would be very bad for humans.

I voted that it would never end, because the universe appears to be expanding.

Normandy6644
2005-Feb-27, 04:40 PM
I voted other, mostly because I favor (personally) the cyclic models, either big crunch or ekpyrotic scenario.

Brady Yoon
2005-Feb-27, 05:47 PM
I voted forever since that's what I see from reading recent magazines and books, but like Normandy I favor the cyclical model. Sounds a lot better to me.

TravisM
2005-Feb-27, 06:39 PM
I'm on the forever bandwagon as well. The cyclic reasoning goes in-line with the Big Bounce nascent model of string cosmology.

I just worry I won't know for sure as I will never get to live to be billions of years old. :-? Such a shame.

Cougar
2005-Feb-27, 08:06 PM
I can't imagine what you're thinking about that would affect, much less destroy, the entire universe. There's only one universe-wide calamity that I can think of - the decay of the false vacuum - and even after that unlikely scenario there would still be a universe. There just wouldn't be any humans... or living creatures... or solar systems... or galaxies...

DoktorGreg
2005-Feb-27, 10:57 PM
My guess is that when the intergalactic medium falls to a low enough density inflation starts all over again. So when this bubble, if you will, is in the throws of the big rip, a region will expand and fill its space with new matter... Which has some property to slow down the expansion/inflation....

Maddad
2005-Feb-28, 06:00 AM
The scale jumps from 10^12 years to infinity. Since it would take 10^100 years for the most supermassive black holes to evaporate and leave behind only their radiation, this is good enough for me for the life of the universe. It's 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 ,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,0 00,000,000,000,000 tims as much as the second to the last choice, but the final choice is even more that that much more than this!

Human
2005-Mar-05, 09:39 AM
I can't imagine what you're thinking about that would affect, much less destroy, the entire universe. There's only one universe-wide calamity that I can think of - the decay of the false vacuum - and even after that unlikely scenario there would still be a universe. There just wouldn't be any humans... or living creatures... or solar systems... or galaxies...

I wouldn't call it a Universe if the galaxies ceased to exist.

Argos
2005-Mar-05, 02:30 PM
The universe will last some 50 or 60 years more. Itīll be gone when I die. Option "other".

Russ
2005-Mar-05, 04:58 PM
I voted other. I just droped the detonator! 5,4,3,2... :o

Plat
2005-Mar-05, 07:41 PM
This universe will breed multiple universes...a never ending process

Plat
2005-Mar-07, 03:43 AM
The universe will last some 50 or 60 years more. Itīll be gone when I die. Option "other".

Argos check your PM's

Argos
2005-Mar-07, 02:42 PM

Argos check your PM's

Hi, PR. I just checked it and thereīs no new message there. Am I missing something? Would you please send it again? Thanks.

Glom
2005-Mar-07, 02:44 PM
The universe will exist forever and forever is until the end of the universe. QED.

Kaptain K
2005-Mar-07, 04:39 PM
The universe will exist forever and forever is until the end of the universe. QED.
I think I already said that. 8)

NoXion
2005-Mar-07, 08:30 PM
I like the idea of the universe expanding into a cold dead world inhabited by invisible galaxies populated by black dwarfs and black holes...