PDA

View Full Version : BA in "Austin Powers the Spy Who ..."

honestmonkey
2002-Jul-08, 04:39 PM
I just saw "Austin Powers the Spy Who..." on TV last night and it had a ton of BA in it. This is just what I can recall:

There are stars visible in the background while seeing the "moon base".

Dr. Evil has a rocket (which looks like a giant - never mind) to get to the moon which is no where near the size of a Saturn V, but can be used both to get to the moon and get back from the moon, landing and takeoff. And the people in his lair are all standing too close to the rocket when it takes off.

The "laser" beam is visible (luckily it misses).

Mini-me can be heard screaming in space (and he survives!).

Gravity doesn't seem to be 1/6th on the moon, people run all around like normal.

Austin and Felicity get to the moon via Apollo 11, but have to be there within 6 hours (instead of a few days). And we all know the Apollo flights were faked, anyway. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

They say the moon "rotates around the earth".

There's probably more.

David Hall
2002-Jul-08, 05:06 PM
Good spotting HonestMonkey. Perhaps you'd like to check out this page too? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/movies/powers.html

honestmonkey
2002-Jul-08, 06:54 PM
On 2002-07-08 13:06, David Hall wrote:
Good spotting HonestMonkey. Perhaps you'd like to check out this page too? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/movies/powers.html

Man! The BA just put that out there to make me look bad, didn't he? Crap.

You know, I did search the BABBs archives and didn't find anything. Thought I was safe. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif

I'll have to go read it now and see how many I found on my own.

amstrad
2002-Jul-08, 07:03 PM
On 2002-07-08 12:39, honestmonkey wrote:
They say the moon "rotates around the earth".

but the moon does rotate; once every month

David Hall
2002-Jul-08, 07:19 PM
On 2002-07-08 14:54, honestmonkey wrote:

Man! The BA just put that out there to make me look bad, didn't he? Crap.

Actually, you did pretty good. You mentioned a couple of things the BA didn't talk about. The lower gravity on the moon and the inadequacy of the ship used to get there. I'd say that gives a few points in your favor. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif