PDA

View Full Version : Revolutionary treatment for type2 diabeties in trials.

WaxRubiks
2017-Jul-05, 03:25 PM
New research shows that hormones produced in the intestines have a strong effect on blood sugar levels and that type 2 diabetes may be a disease of the digestive tract. Known as duodenal mucosal resurfacing (DMR), the Revita procedure is a new investigational therapy for type 2 diabetes that targets the area of the small intestine called the duodenum. The duodenum is where absorption of nutrients begins and hormones that control blood sugar levels are produced. The Revita DMR procedure is designed to safely alter the inner surface of the duodenum to change how your body absorbs and processes sugar from your diet. In doing so, it may be possible to improve control of your blood sugar.http://revitatrial.com/gb/

profloater
2017-Jul-05, 04:01 PM
Interesting:
I hope to control/ escape type 2 diabetes with the Low Carb High fat diet. (LCHF) So far my weight is reducing at 0.2 lb per day by avoiding sugars, bread paste etc and going for cream instead. Is this DMR a chemical procedure? The diet was pioneered in Scandinavia and now our NHS has slowly approved it after research. I am in Ketosis whoopee.

schlaugh
2017-Jul-05, 04:06 PM
Interesting:
I hope to control/ escape type 2 diabetes with the Low Carb High fat diet. (LCHF) So far my weight is reducing at 0.2 lb per day by avoiding sugars, bread paste etc and going for cream instead. Is this DMR a chemical procedure? The diet was pioneered in Scandinavia and now our NHS has slowly approved it after research. I am in Ketosis whoopee.
Seems to be surgical. From the web site:

The Revita DMR procedure is an investigational minimally invasive and incision-free procedure for people with type 2 diabetes that targets the area of the small intestine where absorption of nutrients begins and hormones that control blood sugar levels are produced. The Revita procedure is designed to safely alter the inner surface of the duodenum to change how your body absorbs and processes sugar from your diet.

The Revita DMR procedure starts by introducing a flexible camera through the mouth (called an endoscope) to pass through the stomach and into the small intestine. This very common procedure is called an upper endoscopy. With the help of the endoscope, catheters are introduced through the mouth into the small intestine to treat the lining of the first part of the small intestine (called the duodenum) with a heated balloon at the end of the catheter. This thermal treatment modifies the cells that lie along the surface of the duodenum that are responsible for absorbing glucose and releasing hormones into the body that affect glucose control.

WaxRubiks
2017-Jul-05, 04:07 PM
Is this DMR a chemical procedure?

The Revita DMR procedure starts by introducing a flexible camera through the mouth (called an endoscope) to pass through the stomach and into the small intestine. This very common procedure is called an upper endoscopy. With the help of the endoscope, catheters are introduced through the mouth into the small intestine to treat the lining of the first part of the small intestine (called the duodenum) with a heated balloon at the end of the catheter. This thermal treatment modifies the cells that lie along the surface of the duodenum that are responsible for absorbing glucose and releasing hormones into the body that affect glucose control.

I have type2, as well. On metformin. I read that this procedure may be available on the NHS in 18months. They are doing trials, which you can apply to take part in on the link in the OP.

profloater
2017-Jul-05, 04:10 PM
I have asked my GP to delay the pills until my weight is down to what it should be ie 85kg from 104 kg. It will take a few more weeks at this rate.

profloater
2017-Jul-05, 04:11 PM
I have type2, as well. On metformin. I read that this procedure may be available on the NHS in 18months. They are doing trials, which you can apply to take part in on the link in the OP.

Very interesting I will ask about this. Thanks

grant hutchison
2017-Jul-05, 05:09 PM
I'm not sure how new the "new research" is, suggesting that Type Two diabetes might be (at least in part) a disease of the GI tract.
We've known for a long time that replumbing the gastointestinal tract with weight reduction surgery (so that the stomach empties downstream of the duodenum) can switch off Type Two diabetes before there's any weight loss - a fair proportion of patients come out of the operating theatre and never need another oral hypoglycaemic pill.
I'd be interested to see how this new approach looks after a few years follow-up, however.

Grant Hutchison