PDA

View Full Version : How did you meet your significant other?

R.A.F.
2017-Jul-10, 01:21 PM
In my case I was blindsided by a tall*, attractive girl wearing a lime green bikini at a church beach party WAY BACK in 1973.

After that, everything is a blur...

Married 42 years next month...

*yes, my Wife is taller than I am.

R.A.F.
2017-Jul-10, 01:34 PM
...and I should add that I was a very young looking 18 year old, while she was an older looking (like 23 or so) 15 year old.

Seriously, I initially thought she was too old for me. :)

Gillianren
2017-Jul-10, 03:50 PM
I actually thought Graham was considerably older than he is, too. As in, we've been together fourteen years, and he's about the age I thought he was. We worked together, and there was much discussion among the women at our place of employment about the tall, quiet guy who sat there drawing.

Solfe
2017-Jul-10, 04:00 PM
I met my wife at a party store. It was going out of business and had very few customers. I had a sign on my desk that read: "It has been X days since our last customer". My future wife thought it was funny, until one day she came in the back and took it down. "It is very sad now."

That day was profoundly slow and her and I spent the afternoon and evening talking at her register. About 3-4 uninterrupted hours in, she perked up and purred.

I said, "Who's here?"
She said, "No one."
I said, "Come on. I've been here all day and you haven't made that noise once."

Sure enough, we had our first customers of the day. Two handsome guys looking for party favors. Judging by the way they held hands and looked at each other, they were not interested in either of us.

I still call her "Kitty" 20 years later.

Trebuchet
2017-Jul-10, 04:53 PM
Blind date. She was the childhood friend of a co-worker's wife. Closing in on 40 years.

Buttercup
2017-Jul-10, 04:56 PM
I'll fib again and say "Donut Shop." Because I didn't like the people by whom we met, who caused a lot of unnecessary problems in our first 2 years.

We're married 24 years. And here's a "raspberry" to the jerks who said we wouldn't last! :p

Jim
2017-Jul-10, 05:28 PM
I was dating her best friend- fortunately not seriously. The best friend was looking for help to paint the cast room at a local theater and I volunteered. An attractive, quiet, kinda shy young woman was also there. We got married less than a year later. The best friend was maid of honor.

Noisy Rhysling
2017-Jul-10, 05:30 PM
She was an admin on my first internet forum. She gave me my first warning. :D

Spacedude
2017-Jul-10, 06:11 PM
We met through a personal ad, sort of. I read an interesting personal ad and sent in a letter with my picture. As it turned out the gal who posted the ad had broken up with her boyfriend and she posted the ad in a fit. By the time she recieved my letter (1 of 14) she had already made up with her boyfriend but she saved my letter and pic to give to another gal friend of hers. Her gal friend (now my wife of 29 years) met me for dinner and after she sized me up she confessed about the extenuating circumstances. It didn't matter to me as she was a knockout. The rest is history.

R.A.F.
2017-Jul-10, 08:48 PM
....while she was an older looking (like 23 or so) 15 year old.

...and the maddening thing, is that while I started going white in my 30's (and eventually started shaving my head...but that's another thread :)) her hair has remained the same color*, and she is often mistaken for being in her mid 40's.

So in the 40+ years I have known her, she looks about 20 years older than when we met.

*she has a few white hairs, but just a very few.

Cougar
2017-Jul-11, 01:31 PM
Met her on the web. Flew to New Orleans to meet her in person (she was attending an academic conference).

grapes
2017-Jul-11, 04:24 PM
We're old soulmates, I'm sure I'd met her before. Anyway, she also lied about her age. We're married at forty years, next year.

Nicolas
2017-Jul-11, 08:34 PM
I met her at the creek where she lived with the rest of her family. They had created a beautiful waterfront home for themselves there. In fact, I often came to that place and saw them build an expand their territory there over the years. It was on one of these fishing trips that she noticed me. And I noticed her. Most people would say they all look alike, but we had a special connection from the start. She wasn't like the rest. She, she was my significant otter.

(met on a dating site, what beautiful story do you want me to tell? Besides the fact that we've been married for 5 years and have 2 kids)

grant hutchison
2017-Jul-11, 08:50 PM
She laughed at a very long story about a dancing duck, which I once told at a party forty years ago, There were a lot of people there, and I couldn't see the owner of that particular laugh, but it stuck in my memory.
Three years later, at the end of a long day, I hooked up with a member of my medical school class to have a beer in the local pub. We'd managed to get through five years of medical training without ever speaking to each other, up to that point. I told a story about how miserable my day had been, and she laughed.
"You laughed at the dancing duck story!" I exclaimed, pointing an accusatory finger across the table at her.
"So you're the one who told the dancing duck story?" she replied, pointing an accusatory finger back at me.

Grant Hutchison

Trebuchet
2017-Jul-12, 01:02 AM
We're married at forty years, next year.
Us too. Good old 1978, perhaps the most interesting year of my life. Did I mention we married on my 30th birthday? One day, under thirty and single. Next day, neither. My parents took us out for a post-wedding dinner and asked the restaurant for a "happy birthday" cake. We wound up with "Happy Anniversary". It worked, being the zeroeth anniversary and all.

R.A.F.
2017-Jul-12, 01:10 AM
...she also lied about her age.

Also?...who else lied about their age?

ozduck
2017-Jul-12, 05:13 AM
We meet at a Youth Group being run out of the Central YMCA Headquarters in Perth. Will have been married 42 years in September.

Buttercup
2017-Jul-12, 03:15 PM
...and the maddening thing, is that while I started going white in my 30's (and eventually started shaving my head...but that's another thread :)) her hair has remained the same color*, and she is often mistaken for being in her mid 40's.

So in the 40+ years I have known her, she looks about 20 years older than when we met.

I can relate (sort of). Husband is only 6-1/2 years older than me, but because of injuries he sustained in an accident (age 24), he's prematurely aged. Meanwhile I've gotten family genetics which keep me looking 10 years younger than I am (not being vain at all; a guy 5 years my junior kept trying to tell me that I'm 5 years younger than him ... and of course I ignored his advances). What looks like a big age difference is not, and it's generated sordid speculation/gossip, raised eyebrows, unwanted attention...I got so fed up with it that I stopped volunteering at a "soup kitchen."

Grey
2017-Jul-12, 05:24 PM
Us too. Good old 1978, perhaps the most interesting year of my life. Did I mention we married on my 30th birthday? One day, under thirty and single. Next day, neither. My parents took us out for a post-wedding dinner and asked the restaurant for a "happy birthday" cake. We wound up with "Happy Anniversary". It worked, being the zeroeth anniversary and all.Heh, we planned our wedding more than a year in advance (we had already bought a house together, so the wedding itself was mostly a formality and an excuse to throw a fun party), so we made sure to celebrate our negative 1st anniversary.

R.A.F.
2017-Jul-12, 05:34 PM
...a guy 5 years my junior kept trying to tell me that I'm 5 years younger than him ...

Yep...happens to my Wife all the time.

Spacedude
2017-Jul-12, 06:12 PM
Heh, we planned our wedding more than a year in advance (we had already bought a house together, so the wedding itself was mostly a formality and an excuse to throw a fun party), so we made sure to celebrate our negative 1st anniversary.

We plan our anniversary on our anniversary, but we celebrate Valentine's Day on the day of our first date...which falls 2 weeks before Valentine's Day.......when roses are much cheaper ;-)

ToSeek
2017-Jul-12, 06:33 PM
We were in the same year at college and were in the coffee shop when another classmate asked her if she played chess. I turned around and said, "I play chess." It took us a while to get married (we were freshmen at the time), but the sun and the moon are marking our 35th wedding anniversary next month with a total eclipse (and, ironically, we won't be together: I'll be in South Carolina for it while she stays home and takes care of the cats).

grapes
2017-Jul-12, 08:30 PM
Also?...who else lied about their age?
We're just not as old of soul mates as I'd thought

geonuc
2017-Jul-12, 09:57 PM
I was a busperson (not busboy!) at the Capitol Oyster Bar in Austin, Texas. My future wife was a server. I hated bussing her section - so demanding.

Swift
2017-Jul-13, 01:07 PM
We met through Sierra Club. I was volunteering at an event we were having (a one-main show about John Muir) and was working the ticket taking - the show was sold out, so I was busy turning people away. This lady I knew through the club, Lisa, came in with her friend Deb. Deb and I ended up talking, a lot of it was admiring our selection of Sierra Club calendars we were selling. After about 10 minutes, she and Lisa left. I wanted to call her, but I didn't know either her last name or phone number. I didn't want to ask Lisa, as she was also single at the time, and it felt bad to ask her "... no, I don't want to go out with you, I want to go out with your friend...".

Luckily, as NEO Group secretary, my name and phone number was in the group newsletter, and Deb called me. 19 months later we were married - that was 27 years ago.

As far as age... when we first met, I thought she was my age or a little younger. She is actually seven years older than me. People still think she is younger than me, though part of that is chemistry, as in the chemistry of hair-care products she uses. But, as she always tells me, gray looks dignified on men.

R.A.F.
2017-Jul-13, 01:34 PM
I didn't want to ask Lisa, as she was also single at the time, and it felt bad to ask her "... no, I don't want to go out with you, I want to go out with your friend...".

...and after wiping the coffee off my screen...that is really funny. :)

Swift
2017-Jul-13, 02:27 PM
...and after wiping the coffee off my screen...that is really funny. :)
I'm always reminded of this scene (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj7MZE6y9K4) from When Harry Met Sally (no, not the deli scene).

gzhpcu
2017-Jul-14, 11:55 AM
Through a chain of events: there was a Columbian woman who was being snubbed by the local women at our tennis club, as I found out speaking to her and her husband. So I told her I would play with her and give her a lesson. It broke the ice and other women asked her to,play.
So she then went for tennis lessons to another club where there was an Argentine pro. She then phoned me and asked me if I wouldn't play a mixed doubles with a friend of hers and the pro. Which I did. i liked the pro and started training with him now and then.
One day, the pro phones me and tells a strong young American woman is looking for someone to play with and would I like to play with her. So, I meet her and play with her. She is alone in Lugano, having squabbled with her parents in the states. I try to help her out and get her to phone her parents, make up and agree to return to the States.
She is grateful and before leaving for home, asks me to have tea with a good friend, who also helped her out. So, after this chain of events, I finally meet my future wife! Love at first sight.
If I had not helped the Columbian woman and the Americsn woman, I would not have met my wife... :)

R.A.F.
2017-Jul-14, 01:08 PM
Through a chain of events:

Wow...that is amazing.

All I had to do was show up for a beach party...my Wife was invited by a girlfriend, and unknown to me at the time, she saw me as we met up at the church to go to the beach, but I didn't see her until we were on the beach.

While still at the church, her girlfriend told her "see that little guy, with the weird purple plaid beret?...you're going to marry that guy."

We haven't been in contact with that girlfriend in many a year, so we've never been able to ask her why she thought that.

....and just to illustrate how much I was instantly smitten, I let one of my friends drive my car home so that I could spend more time with her on that first day.

Hypmotoad
2017-Jul-14, 06:35 PM
I met her at the creek where she lived with the rest of her family. They had created a beautiful waterfront home for themselves there. In fact, I often came to that place and saw them build an expand their territory there over the years. It was on one of these fishing trips that she noticed me. And I noticed her. Most people would say they all look alike, but we had a special connection from the start. She wasn't like the rest. She, she was my significant otter.

(met on a dating site, what beautiful story do you want me to tell? Besides the fact that we've been married for 5 years and have 2 kids)

Love it. Seems like me and mine have been together all our lives. We're really attached.

Extravoice
2017-Jul-15, 12:40 AM
I swept her off her feet.
We were both working part-time in the local grocery store. She was running one of the cash registers, and I was sweeping the floor.

BigDon
2017-Jul-15, 02:44 PM
Trying to do a good deed.

R.A.F.
2017-Jul-15, 02:45 PM
Sounds like he hit her with a broom. :)

I am so kidding or course...

blueshift
2017-Jul-20, 02:02 AM
Geology class in college. Married for 5 years, divorced in 1975 and now care about one another more than we ever did during marriage, still keeping in touch. She is coming over in a week to visit me and our son. I had custody.

closetgeek
2017-Jul-30, 02:22 PM
The salacious version of the story, the one my ex loves to tell: I ripped my family apart to run off with a guy I met on WoW.

The real version of the story is, I did meet him on WoW. He was in our circle of friends that lived locally, and got together at night to run raids. My marriage was dysfunctional, we were abusive to each other, we were spiraling financially, and promises to change were always put off until the next milestone--as soon as we move, or as soon as I get the next top of the line gaming system. I was just as guilty in the beginning but I desperately wanted to change. It never lasted, though. This had been going on long before Chris became a regular in the circle. The only thing holding me back was that my cousin and I owned a business together and my [now] ex was our only tech. When the business dissolved, I was able to leave. Chris had tried to remain friends with both of us but when ex gave him the ultimatum, Chris told him he didn't have to choose, he's not a matter of custody. Unfortunately, all the friends I had we're friends of my ex so when we split, I became public enemy #1. Chris was the only friend I had. I really didn't want to risk my only friend with a romantic entanglement but he was just a genuinely good person. Chris helped me with my finances (my account was 700+, in the negative, the day my ex and I split) and cleared the keylogger my ex put in my computer and over time, became more than friends. We've been together for 9 years and married for almost 5. At this point, even if the salacious version was the true story, I still wouldn't regret my decision.

Heid the Ba'
2017-Jul-30, 10:16 PM
Another one from 1978, we met playing D&D. She was a cleric, I was a ranger. We've been married for 32 years.

BigDon
2017-Jul-30, 11:39 PM
By good deed I mean I was in a bar trying to stop a cocaine addicted friend from relapsing after a month clean. After I came to the conclusion I was wasting my time I told my friend;

"Wait here, I'm going to go dance with that little Mexican girl with the cute butt a minute and you can go do what you want."

Just to blow off some frustration.

Turns out she was Basque and not Mexican, and had been a competition dancer since childhood, hence the spectacular derriere.

And...it turns out this was the very same woman my sister had been trying to set me up with on a blind date for over three months! They were co-workers!

What are the odds, I ask you? Bar I had never been in before, in a part of town I didn't frequent.

Almost thirty years ago. Wow.

Trebuchet
2017-Jul-31, 12:16 AM
Another one from 1978, we met playing D&D. She was a cleric, I was a ranger. We've been married for 32 years.

Let's see, 1978+32 = 2010. Oops! "Met" =/= "Married". So much for my thought processes.

Heid the Ba'
2017-Jul-31, 06:44 AM
We actually first met in 1976 at school, I should have said started going out in 1978. Obviously my charisma was higher in real life than my character's.